DSG 6 slip/shutter

Denali376

TDI
06 Jetta tdi BRM 5 Speed, 06 vw Jetta tdi brm DSG
Hello,

06 VW Jetta TDI DSG, new replacement Raybestos Frictions/Steels, slip/chatter in all gears ,No transmission codes, DSG adaptation preformed on VCDS, DSG oil level verified, measuring block 11,12 clutch clamping pressure drops when slip occurs.

Previously the DMF was failing making a bunch of chatter at idle but otherwise the transmission ran great. While I had the dsg out I decided to throw new clutch packs in since 214,000 miles and a very reputable USA co. Raybestos Powertrain offers Frictions/Steels for $200 shipped. Afterwards I did a VCDS recalibration and now I'm having what I believe to be slipping and chatter in every gear. It's driveable but definitely need to resolve the issue. The original basket was used. I simply removed the used K1 and K2 Frictions/Steels replaced with Raybestos Powertrain Frictions/Steels in the correct direction and order. Talking with APR as well as Raybestos, they state that if you are not changing the basket it is not required to take measurements for a different shim/circlip. If you replace the entire assembly new as offered from VWAG or use a different basket than what was originally in the transmission you must measure and calculate shim/circlip clearance. I am certain that the basket is properly assembled since I have done lots of research,parts searching and serviced a few 02e DSGs. I will be removing the DSG unfortunately since I haven't had any success finding the culprit of the slip/shutter. Im overly particular and thorough about cleanliness, accuracy and tolerance. Everyone makes mistakes so I'll check it out. Just to be safe I am going to check the tolerances on the basket to verify the original shim is still in spec.*

Can any of you master splinters help a turtle out?

Regards,Bo

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think you know the answer.

Take the trans back out, put the OEM stuff back in. Try and get your money back for the aftermarket junk.

I've replaced a handful of these, I always use the OEM clutch repair kit. Zero problems.

Denali376

TDI
Take the trans back out, put the OEM stuff back in. Try and get your money back for the aftermarket junk.
I've replaced a handful of these, I always use the OEM clutch repair kit. Zero problems.
Thank you for the reply. In my defense I used Raybestos Powertrain GPZ frictions in a 4r100 for 00 F250 CCSB 7.3L that made 1,471ftlbs @ SDP . The previous frictions were Borg Warner and where slipping constantly. OEM 02E Frictions/Steels are Borg Warner, so I used Raybestos as a upgrade. Moral of my story Raybestos Powertrain puts out top notch products as well as supplying various transmission components to OEMs. I was sceptical using anything other than factory BW because of the dual clutch operation being unique to itself. Its not like I bought Dollar Store brand products. On a positive note I have been in touch with Raybestos quality control who sent a shipping label to return the Frictions/Steels and offered me a full refund or replacements. I'm getting my money back.

Denali376

TDI

Also, is there a break in/run in procedure when replacing the clutchs? Any advice on round two other than using a VWAG clutch service kit?

Regards,Bo

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your experiences with the Ford really don't have anything to do with the 02E. Completely different animal. If you want to compare to a Ford, check out the lawsuit-laden double clutch automatics they cursed the Focus and Fiesta with! :p (those are dry disk, but point is Ford is known for cost cutting with suppliers). Which is why Getrag manuals in BMWs (heck, even some GM products used them) are great, but the ones Ford uses are junk... because Ford wanted Getrag to supply them cheaper. And how does a German company stoop low enough to meet Ford's demand? Make them in China! Pending lawsuit on that one, too. :rolleyes:

Given the rather specific nature of the 02E, the fact that they are not a high failure unit, suggests any aftermarket R&D for anything contained within would be pretty marginal at best. Whereas every Ford 4R100 transmission by now has failed or will soon, and the popularity of that transmission (been around since 1989, used to be called the E4OD-HD) is such that an American aftermarket company would absolutely do their R&D on those.

By the way, I am not bagging on Ford. I love my F150.... and its Mazda MANual transmission. ;)

Denali376

TDI
Your experiences with the Ford really don't have anything to do with the 02E. Completely different animal. If you want to compare to a Ford, check out the lawsuit-laden double clutch automatics they cursed the Focus and Fiesta with! :p (those are dry disk, but point is Ford is known for cost cutting with suppliers). Which is why Getrag manuals in BMWs (heck, even some GM products used them) are great, but the ones Ford uses are junk... because Ford wanted Getrag to supply them cheaper. And how does a German company stoop low enough to meet Ford's demand? Make them in China! Pending lawsuit on that one, too. :rolleyes:
Given the rather specific nature of the 02E, the fact that they are not a high failure unit, suggests any aftermarket R&D for anything contained within would be pretty marginal at best. Whereas every Ford 4R100 transmission by now has failed or will soon, and the popularity of that transmission (been around since 1989, used to be called the E4OD-HD) is such that an American aftermarket company would absolutely do their R&D on those.
By the way, I am not bagging on Ford. I love my F150.... and its Mazda MANual transmission. ;)

I know what you mean. Raybestos sent me replacement and I'm not using them. I purchased the whole clutch kit from Cascadegermanparts and Borg Warner's NEW friction design for the k1 and K2s. They have more bite material as well as the k1 has the directional design as the k2s. It's q Borg Warner transmission so....