Key won't go in ignition!

judisjetta

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey ya'll, I can't see where this has been posted so I'm not sure if I'm the lone ranger here but last night when I tried to drive home, my key would no longer go into my ignition switch. I have an '06 Jetta with 101K. Had a wrecker take it in to the dealer but has anyone else had this happen before??

Just curious ...

:confused:

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
The lock cylinder just might have broken .. Also Tow drivers are sort of Strange . (Sometimes) If he was a clown he could have jammed the pin's inside. Seen it before but more on the door lock side .. Cheer's R

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
Had it happen to my 06 about two months ago. Used a pointed steak knife to push back the little door so that the key would work. Later that day, took it to the dealer and he ordered and then replaced the lock under warranttee... just barely under warantee. It was very very cold that day.. at least for Dallas 18degrees F.

OAG

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There are a couple of threads on this. Same thing happened on mine. If you look, you'll probably see a little white 'gate' blocking the key. This would normally slide out of the way as you insert the key, but apparently has a tendancy to jam. Just take a medium size (if the blade is a little narrower than the key are is best. Too narrow bites into the plastic gate) flat blade screwdriver and insert it on the dash side of the white piece. Work it around to try to get the gate aligned so it isn't cocked on the top or bottom. The white gate slides toward the rear of the car.

Last edited:

judisjetta

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, I wish I had it to do over now ... apparently, the dealer has ordered a new ignition switch kit that has to be custom made for my particular car, in Germany. My Jetta won't be ready to come home until Monday! The cost will be just under $500.

We were a bit nervous to start jabbing things into the switch yesterday for fear of making a bad situation worse. I wonder if this will happen again in another 2 1/2 years ....