06 Jetta TDI died on freeway, won't start back up.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI BRM 1.9 Diesel Automatic DSG 144,000 miles

Was driving today felt a little vibration and engine died. The car has a known bad flywheel that I was planning on fixing before 150k. I felt a vibration and then the rpm just dropped to zero no loud noises or anything, oil level still good. Turns over but won't start, the sound I'm getting almost sounds like similar to a compression test. Hopefully engine is still good, if flywheel did take out the engine what type of sound would have happened and what should I look for? Camshaft was replaced less then 10,000 miles ago at the dealer, all maintenance current.

No CE lights on or anything right now. Will take a deeper look at it tomorrow and also get another opinion from a VW tech soon. Located here in Aurora CO near Denver off I-70 if anyone is up for taking a look at it. Was driving to Boulder on HWY 36 today doing a lyft ride when this happened cruise control on at 80 mph. Any help and advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
If it sounds like a compression test, sounds like a timing belt...

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
If the timing belt broke the engine is toast right or at least the cylinder head? I'll go out and check here soon. A VW dealer changed the timing belt/camshaft less then 10k ago up in MT where I bought the car, should still be under warranty given I have the documents, could the bad dsg flywheel have anything to do with it?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This thread exists in no small part due to dealers being unable to properly install a TDI timing belt:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212873

One of my Golfs I own now I got on the cheap because a dealer timing belt job quickly resulted in several smashed valves, two bent rods, and three shattered pistons. Their response to the previous owner: "It's old, they break".

So don't expect much. Sorry.:(

I kept track one year, and came across a total of 17 botched dealer timing belt jobs... not all of which came into our shop under their own power. Most didn't.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
This thread exists in no small part due to dealers being unable to properly install a TDI timing belt:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=212873

One of my Golfs I own now I got on the cheap because a dealer timing belt job quickly resulted in several smashed valves, two bent rods, and three shattered pistons. Their response to the previous owner: "It's old, they break".

So don't expect much. Sorry.:(

I kept track one year, and came across a total of 17 botched dealer timing belt jobs... not all of which came into our shop under their own power. Most didn't.

Oilhammer, thank you for your input and advise. It is unfortunate that they can't preform quality work on these cars.

I just went out and took the timing belt cover off and it appears not to be broken. I wasn't able to inspect the lower half. If belt is broken it would be loose correct and I could pull it off? I'm still wondering if the FW shattered and took something out, how would I find that out? Also forgot to mention the car has been sitting sometimes for up to 3 months at a time when I was leaving town. I never let it sit longer then 3 months without at least a mile or two drive.

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
My buddy had a similar issue but the tensioner failed and it chewed the teeth off the belt by the crank. You need to have someone crank the engine while the timing cover is off and see if the cam rotates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
My buddy had a similar issue but the tensioner failed and it chewed the teeth off the belt by the crank. You need to have someone crank the engine while the timing cover is off and see if the cam rotates.

Sounds similar to post #14 here, I checked my timing belt and it feels tight.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=307553

See post #9, can someone tell me what the problem is in this picture?

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=432910

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
The belt in that picture has no teeth. You should be able to watch the cam while someone else tries to start it and see if the cam is spinning with the rest of the engine.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Sorry to tell you, but your head is probably toast.

I just checked the belt and it's still in good shape, all the teeth are still on the belt. Possibly I got a bad tank of fuel from shell, it was a station with non shell fuel (this is not a shell product) at the pump.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If all the teeth are present, set the engine to TDC to make sure it’s still in time. Then maybe you can consider the possibility of bad fuel.

When a belt breaks it disappears, wrapping around the crankshaft. It looks like this. My daughter bought this Jetta cheap because someone tried to go beyond 150k on a belt change.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I just checked the belt and it's still in good shape, all the teeth are still on the belt. Possibly I got a bad tank of fuel from shell, it was a station with non shell fuel (this is not a shell product) at the pump.
Ok, so your statement above about your belt looking like the photo in that one post was missing the fact that the belt in that photo had a bunch of teeth missing. If you're not missing teeth, maybe it's not toast, unless it skipped time. You mentioned that it sounds like a compression test when you crank. Is there any way you could get a video of that?

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Ok, so your statement above about your belt looking like the photo in that one post was missing the fact that the belt in that photo had a bunch of teeth missing. If you're not missing teeth, maybe it's not toast, unless it skipped time. You mentioned that it sounds like a compression test when you crank. Is there any way you could get a video of that?

I'll try and make a video, how would I post it here on TDICLUB?

Mozambiquer

TDI
I'll try and make a video, how would I post it here on TDICLUB?
Upload to Google photos or YouTube and post a link.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
The VW tech came by today and we tried to start it, it fired up after putting the fuel pedal down and started making a tapping knocking sound but it wouldn't stay running, 2nd time started again only by pumping the gas pedal while turning the key but wouldn't stay running longer then a couple seconds before dying. He's going to stop by tomorrow to do a final test on the fuel system before moving onto the compression. Anyone recommend a good compression tester that I can order online?

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
What's the torsion value?

oilhammer

TDI
Heh, kind of hard to check that if it won't run.

I wonder if the tandem pump drive broke off, and that is where your noise is coming from. Easy enough to check. Four bolts and the pump comes loose enough to see.

Mozambiquer

TDI
If you're wanting a compression tester, but won't be doing a lot, the harbor freight one will at least give you an idea. We have the otc one here, but that's around $300 instead of $30.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
If you're wanting a compression tester, but won't be doing a lot, the harbor freight one will at least give you an idea. We have the otc one here, but that's around $300 instead of $30.

I'm heading to harbor freight now to pick one up. Do you know if it will work on the brm? Same as bew and alh Glow plug hole?

I'll look into the tandem pump and also need to get that video soon.
Thanks!

Mozambiquer

TDI
I'm heading to harbor freight now to pick one up. Do you know if it will work on the brm? Same as bew and alh Glow plug hole?

I'll look into the tandem pump and also need to get that video soon.

Thanks!
Yes, glow plug hole is the same diameter.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Yes, glow plug hole is the same diameter.

Got the video today, just posted it. I couldn't keep it running longer then it did, just a few seconds. Had to pump the gas pedal repeatedly fast just to start it.

Last edited:

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
Here's the message it gave me:

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I think it has to do with the security settings. It said it would send you an email to grant access.

Give it a shot one more time if you're still up. I just sent the video to someone in a email and it may be ready to view.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, you are wasting your time with the compression tester. Something BROKE or fell off.

Take the valve cover off and look.

If you don't see anything take the tandem pump off and look.

Don't post again until you've done those things. Guessing is a waste of time. You could likely KNOW inside of 10 minutes.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Took the tandem pump off and took a picture, looks good but the piece inside moves which I think is normal. Wasn't able to get the valve cover off, got all the T30 bolts out except the one next to the egr cooler in back pass side of engine. I think I'll need a long reach T30 screwdriver, the 3/8" T30 socket wouldn't fit maybe a 1/4" would.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xX76cbCTo8Bx1QTW6

Last edited: