Registering a TX car in CA

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Good eveving, someone told my daughter that a out of state car cannot be registered in CA. She is looking at a 2006 MK V tdi.
She is ready to buy a plane ticket to take delivery of the car out of state and then drive it back

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Without more details it's difficult to respond to the (mis) information someone else says. Your daughter can bring a vehicle from out of state into California and register it here. She'll also need to pay use tax on the purchase price when she registers it here.

There was a time long ago where some cars were manufactured for CA and then the rest of the US due to CARB regulations, but I haven't seen anything like that on modern vehicles since the 70s or maybe the 80s...tough to say since I've been driving diesels since then and things like cats are handled completely differently.

If the vehicle being sold has been modified and/or non-original engine/parts are installed then she will have difficulty getting it past the referee and smog. That is, if the seller removed all of the emissions equipment and is telling your daughter that it can't be registered in California, that's the reason and it's accurate for all practical purposes for this specific vehicle and not vehicles in general. If it's just some relative/friend opining about the ol' days then take it with a grain of salt.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Whoever told you that info is incorrect. Assuming it's a run of the mill 2006 MK 5 TDI, there is no problems registering the car in CA.