5 Speed Transaxle Mod

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I few year ago someone posted an internal mod for a transmission that consisted of drilling an internal passageway inside of the transmission so that oil would get to the 5th gear if the oil level was low. IIRC the mod applied to cars with a BRM and possibly a BEW engine.

The reason I ask is that something internal to the transmission failed and when the transmission is being repaired, it would be a good time to do the mod. My best guess as to what failed might be the ring gear rivets because the side gears, axles and clutch all seem to work fine.

When I drained the gear oil a got some chunks that look like gear teeth. Oh, and the car rolls fine but does not drive in any gear. Car is at 180,000 miles.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thanks. That is the thread I was looking for. Definitely, something came apart inside the transmission. The chunks that came out with the oil looked like gear teeth. There wasn't much warning of the failure except for some slight vibration when accelerating. It drove and shifted fine and then there was a thud noise and after that every gear became my new neutral.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Update. What failed in my transmission is that the diff carrier broke in half. the ring gear is still riveted to the carrier. The trans is an 0a4 gearing code GQQ. (2006 Jetta TDI)

I'm hoping to find a differential from someone that did a limited slip differential upgrade or a used transmission.

Also, would the differential carrier from an 0A4 gearing code HGR (A5 gasser) work if the ring and pinion were swapped over?

Last edited: