88 Fiero Formula w/ 2000 TDI

CoolBlue87GT

TDI
1988 Fiero Formula TDI
I've been a member here for a few years, I guess it's about time to post info about my car. The Fiero started out as a 88 Formula w/ V6.

The engine came from a 2000 TDI 1.9 Jetta w/ auto, the Jetta had been t-boned on the passenger side door. While the car was totaled, the engine/ trans was unhurt. The car was still driveable. The engine/trans /computer /gauge cluster /fly-by wire pedal were removed from the jetta and transplated into the Fiero.

Before the transplant, all the maintenance / timing belt / new turbo / other modifications were preformed. New axles were required, the Pontiac a/c was hooked up the the stock VW compressor, which works very well together.

Here's a link to the bulld http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/082918.html

Here's a link to "Life with TDI-Fiero" It details how the car has performed since I purchased it. http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092218.html

Video of engine startup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AN_3COXMEc

Newspaper story about car.

Last edited:

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
Dear lord that thing is cool! Thank you so much for sharing it; I've been cruising your links about it all morning, can't get enough!

Andrew

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
VERY Cool car!!! I've always loved the old Fieros! I've heard of guys putting Cadillac Northstar V8s in them as well!!!

CoolBlue87GT

TDI
1988 Fiero Formula TDI
Dear lord that thing is cool! Thank you so much for sharing it; I've been cruising your links about it all morning, can't get enough!
Andrew
Thanks, it's become quite a conversion piece, I have had many people stop and ask me about it. Those with a keen eye, spot the TDI badge under the Pontiac badge.
During fuel stops, many people have commented, hey, you know that's a diesel pump ? I take the time to pop the hood and let them see the engine.
I drive it in a conservative manner, I don't nail it often, only when I'm tailgated. It will haul butt, I don't, as I want to keep it in good shape.

CoolBlue87GT

TDI
1988 Fiero Formula TDI
Thought I'd let you guys know, the TDI Fiero is still going strong.
Has been my daily driver since 2013. Have replaced a turbo and a few things here and there along the way.
The help from members here and the original shop that created it have been a great help for keeping it on the road.
Hope everyone has a great Forth of July.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Per your last post, about how you drive it conservatively; That could be why you had to replace a turbo. I have my original stock turbo on my ALH(Nozzles and Tuned), 305000 miles, and i drive it HARD regularly. WOT practically daily, atleast once through the gears. Not recommending driving like THAT, but, it has been stated that light use and lugging the engine is worse for these than driving spirited regularly/occasionally. Italian Tune Up could be good for you.

GREAT CARS! and glad the TDI-F is doing well for you!
Too cool!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
In the vicinity of my location, there were three Fieros when I did my Vanagon TDI conversion (2010-12). At the time, I strongly considered doing a conversion on a Fiero. Seems there was a YouTube with a Fiero and ALH TDI.

The Turbo and Injectors are original on my formerly owned 2000 Jetta (son owns it now). It has over 370k miles on it. I always took the RPMs up to 3200-3600 three or four times per tank of fuel. That RPM range brings up maximum boost. I very seldom did a WOT. I do the ALH in my Vanagon the same.. Turbo works fine at 208k miles.

Nice project... thanks for sharing.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I have a soft spot for fieros. At one time my father owned 24-1/2 fieros. Yes half a fiero, a rear clip if you will.

He still has a few left. Ive been trying to talk him into a conversion as his last dd fiero kept snapping head bolts. Sadly he only likes the slush boxes and refuses to drive a stick.