2004 Jetta GL 106k in VA/DC

usr_bin

TDI
2004 Jetta
Put up a feelers post a while back, but now it's time for this thing to find a new home.

The good:
- 2004 Jetta GL, 5 speed, only 106k miles. Silver exterior, black cloth interior.
- No crashes. It was sideswiped by someone going about 5mph while I was parallel parking many years ago and so the front left quarter panel and hood are not original, but they match perfectly and the paint on them has weathered fine.
- Stereo, cruise, etc... all work. AC is just as overpowered as it was on day 1.
- Engine had a Bosch EGR filter on it for 80% of its life. Put it on at 5k, took it off before the timing belt change, then had a kid and and never had time to put it back on. You're welcome to it if you want to put it back on.
- Timing belt replaced at 90k by Wheaton Service Center (well-known TDI gurus in the DC area).
- Tires have less than 15k on them. Full size spare.
- 1 1/4" trailer hitch & light harness.
- Aftermarket arm rest (best $50 I ever spent).
- All maintenance and recalls performed on time. I can't prove every single thing with records because I did all my own fluid changes, but suffice to say you're buying a car from someone who bothered with an EGR filter and knew better than to take it to a dealer for the timing belt.
- Brake job about 30k ago.
- Interior is clean and in good shape given the age of the car. No tears or missing bits, and I've spent a lot of time with a shop vac and a steamer getting it clean.

The bad:
- Beginnings of some wheel well rust bubbling up in a couple of spots, nothing more than 1/2" in from the edges and it hasn't broken through the paint. This car lived mostly in DC but did go through two Chicago winters. There are also a couple of scrapes at the rear wheel wells.
- Paint has some tree sap damage to the clearcoat. The car looks great from 20 feet away, but if you want a like-new finish you'll need to spend some quality time with a buffer.
- Clutch slipped once on me going uphill on a hot day several years ago with the car packed full of people and luggage. No issues since then, but I want to be honest about everything with this car.
- Headliner is sagging and needs a shot of adhesive.
- A rat ate a few sensor wires, which I properly repaired by soldering in new connectors. There was also some cosmetic damage to the sound dampening material on the underside of the hood.
- It's throwing is 2564, which is a boost sensor in the turbo. These are usually just a corroded wire, and it's still making boost and driving normally. It's on my to-do list, but I wanted to get the car posted. It is also throwing glow plug codes on two cylinders. Could just be corrosion in the harness, though if I were keeping it I would probably just replace the plugs and harness for about $150.

I drove this thing off the lot 15 years ago, and it has never once let me down. I put relatively few miles on it because I lived in the city and mostly used it for weekend trips and errands. If not for a growing family I would still be driving it, but it's time for this thing to go on to the next person who needs a fun, reliable car that gets high 40's on the highway.

Asking $2500, which is about as cheap as you're going to find an A4 BEW with this few miles. Currently garaged near Stanley, VA, and driven on weekends just to keep it limber, but could bring it to DC for a seriously interested party. Clean DC title in hand.

Tons of pics below, PM if there is anything else you want to see.

Last edited: