frequently asked torque specs

Jeff Heyerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon (Mk IV)
n10516702 engine mont to body bolt torque

I posted this in 101 but didn't gt an answer. The p/n for this bolt used to be n90596902, and was a class 8.8 with long unthreaded shank. New bolts (n10516702) are threaded all the way to head and class 10.9. I would fnd it strange if the new bolts didn't have a new torque spec (prob not tty). Anybody know? It's just that doing 40n.m + 90 degrees (old torque spec) would place a higher load on body threads as the new bolt material has a higher yield strength.

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
posted by TDIJetta99 in another thread: The only 10.9's are the 2 LARGE engine mount bolts that are the 12mm (x1.5) thread and use an 18mm socket..
italic parentheses added by me.

and the new spec is ~74 ft/lbs

Large timing belt roller bolt torque is 30ft/lbs + 90

Jeff Heyerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon (Mk IV)
Got the bolts in my hand...

10.9 stamped in the head. This is the M10x1.5 x 55 lg (just measured by me). Threaded all the way to the top. Bolts sourced from VW dealer.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Jeff Heyerman said:
10.9 stamped in the head. This is the M10x1.5 x 55 lg (just measured by me). Threaded all the way to the top. Bolts sourced from VW dealer.
Those are the smaller vertical mount bolts that go into the body of the car... VW part number N 105 167 01 - and yes, they're supposed to bew Grade 10.9 - although Tdijetta says he's only seen Grade 8.8... Torque value is 30 Ft*Lbs plus 90 degrees... The ones Runonbeer is talking about are the vertical bolts that go into the lower engine mount ("support" or "bracket" in the parts lists)... VW part number N 102 096 03...

Yuri

Jeff Heyerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon (Mk IV)
The bolts I am concerned about are the small ones. I just went and checked the bolts that came out of my 2002 that I did the TB on (it was the first TB change for the car, so bolts were from the factory). Big ones (M12) were 10.9, with long unthreaded shank. Small ones (m10) were 8.8 with long unthreaded shank. New bolts were M12, 10.9 fully threaded, M10, 10.9 fully threaded. Every tty (ie +90) bolt from VW that I have seen has the long unthreaded shank, except for the new M10 10.9s if, in fact, VW did not change the toruqe spec. Here's what I am thinking: The VW dealers never change the bolts (no dealer I have tried to get the "must replace" per Bentley fasteners from has *ever* had them in stock). So VW suffering from broken restretched bolts, says lets change the tty bolts to non-tty and up the strength if necessary. (Of course this isn't completely logical if no VW dealer ever changes the bolts). It seems strange to me that they would up the m10 strength to 10.9, delete the unthreaded shank, and still specify the same torque-to-yield procedure. If anything I am worried we will start to see stripped threads in the car body where these bolts go, since the preload is now much higher... So does anybody have it from a good source the torque spec is unchanged if using the 10.9 M10 bolts?

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Torque Spec for N 105 167 02

I will join Jeff in his question...

Since the new bolts holding the (upper) engine mount to the body are p/n N10516702 (can't get the N10516701 any more) - which has threads all the way up to the bolt head and has a 10.9 rating, what torque spec should one use with it?? Seems wrong to still use 30 Ft*Lbs plus 90 degrees...

Yuri

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Continue to use the 30 ft-lbs+90 degrees spec.

Although some people think that a +x degrees means TTY for all bolts, it doesn't. It is often just their way of making sure the bolt is good and tight. The design of the bolt itself, in a particular application, will define whether it is TTY situation.

These newer bolts with threads the full length will have material cut the full length. The 10.9 vs 8.8 spec accounts for difference in material of the "shaft" of the bolt. The end result will be the same.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
What is the torque spec for the rear upper shock mount (Mk4 Jetta)... anyone...?

Thanks,

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
runonbeer,

Thank you. One more question,since I found what was making the "clunk" in my from end: Torque spec for stabilizer link.

Meyle s links are shot, only around 60,000 miles on them.

Thanks,

runonbeer

TDI
Don't have my bently next to me but that bolt is sort of a 'non-critical' torque. I just zap it in with my wimpy but fast impact and give it a snug.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
O.K., thanks. I guess I can eliminate the machanic's work ethics on this one. I thought maybe he (non-guru) just cranked it tight when it should have been torqued to a spec.

I'll just rack it up to a cheap part (Meyle).:( I'll be ordering the links from VW.:)

runonbeer

TDI
18 ft/lbs.

Its a safe assumption that if it's an M8 fastener, its spec'd at 18ft/lbs. (25Nm)

Last edited:

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
You're a life saver runonbeer! I've been searching through the bentley trying to find specs for bell housing blot torque, and it's not there!!! Thanks for furnishing them, here.

STICKY BUMP

JettaJoy

Last night, I was re-installing my engine bracket from a timing belt change (3rd one).

My kit included the new gray bolt set vs the original green - 1 ea of the long bolt N 103 280 02 & 2 ea of the short bolts N 907 124 03.

Is the torque values on these bolts "really" 75 ft/lbs?

I torqued all three to 40 ft/lbs and then started the final torque on the long bolt. I made at least two-three turns and it feels like it's going or has stripped :eek:

I decided to just stop at that point since it was late and consult with the wonderful minds on the forum here....

I guess I can remove it to inspect the bolt and the threaded hole in the block. Just need to take it "slowly" as this can get very complicated real quick ;)

Comments??

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Uh-oh... You were talking about the HORIZONTAL bolts (16-mm head) holding the lower mount (called "bracket") to the engine block, but using the torque spec for the VERTICAL bolts holding the upper engine mount to the lower engine mount... The Horizontal bolts are torqued at 33 Ft*Lbs, and it does sound as if you've stripped the hole(s)... It's the Vertical ones (18-mm head) that are torqued at 74 Ft*Lbs... (those are known to strip after a few timing belt changes, BTW... ) (the smaller vertical engine mount bolts (16-mm head) that hold the mount to the chassis are torqued at 30 Ft*Lbs plus 90 degrees...)

Good luck recovering from this!! (I hope you can locate a TimeSert nearby...)

Yuri

Last edited:

JettaJoy

Well I looked around the forum at several places and found references to the horizontal bolts being at 75 ft/lbs.

In the first post of this thread it reads:
-Pendulum mount to Body mount (16mm) 30 + 1/4 turn The vertical ones?
-Engine mount to engine bracket (18mm) 44 + 1/4 turn (updated bolts [grey in color] are 74 ft.lbs. trans and engine side) The horizontal ones?

Or do I have it bass-ackwards :confused:
--------------------------------------------------
Edit: Well I guess it's 'my bad"...

Way down the list I now see -Engine mount bracket to engine bolts (16mm) 33 which is what I'm trying to torque to 75.... Crapp!!

Well going to go get a new bolt. Fortunately I work for a company that has metric stuff and probably has an helicoli insert...

Thanks Yuri!

Last edited:

JettaJoy

Perhaps it's only me, but I'm not sure I like a HeliCoil in this spot... TimeSert appears to be much hardier...
Good luck,
Yuri
I looked that product up. Wasn't familiar with it. Asked one of the mechanics at work about it and he opened up his "special" toolbox with a set in it!!! Lucky day I guess.

I just hope I can get the engine up high enough to effect the repair...

Thanks again!