2.0 TDI CR170 Stage 3 Kit

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
My factory turbo in my 2009 sportwagen seized at 98k. So I decided instead of paying the dealer $3200 to fix it I'd order the Stage 3 package with a 3in DP and added a cat:

http://www.fixmyvw.com/stage-3-performance-package-cr170-malone-2-5-inch-buzzken/

I can't seem to find any write up on the turbo swap but it seems once the factory DP and passenger side cv shaft are out of the way it shouldn't be so bad. If anyone has a link to a write up or video on it I'd love to see it.

Once this is install I imagine I'm going to have to start looking for a clutch.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Nothing complicated, just nuts and bolts. Stock clutch holds stage 3 power no problem.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The 2.5" downpipe is more than adequate imo.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your 2.5" dp straight piped w/ a resonator sounds pretty damn sweet too.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
The whistle of happiness.....
Every one of my buddies that has ridden in my car since modification has mentioned how bad ass that whistle sounds now lol

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
I've got a 2.5" straight pipe with a resonator and barely hear any whistle..
Could that be my stock intake?

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I've got a 2.5" straight pipe with a resonator and barely hear any whistle..
Could that be my stock intake?

Different turbo. Not all turbos whistle the same. We have some whistle with the stock catback still on though, surprised yours isn't louder.

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
If I was to purchase something like the PolarFIS prf03 how accurate could I expect the EGT readings to be from the factory sensors?

http://www.movitelonline.com/b2c/pr...dvanced-pf03-interface-plastic-kessy-edition-

I'm mostly wondering if it's worth it to just order the 3.5 tune and get a EGT gauge while i'm at it and I really like the idea of using the screen already in the car.

Everything should be here tomorrow if all goes well I'll have everything up and running next week after the ECU gets back.....Still have to send it out.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Different turbo. Not all turbos whistle the same. We have some whistle with the stock catback still on though, surprised yours isn't louder.
mine doesnt whistle at all either...stock turbo did, cr170 doesnt on my car but it works lol :D

Boosted

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2013 Volkswagen CC Sport
I have a 2010 TDI cup edition (DSG)... and a couple months ago I went malone stage 2 with mid pipe, down pipe, and DPF delete.

I've been dying to get the stage 3.5 with the CR170.. I know this question has been asked numerous times but I really would like to know how much better it opens the car up with the new turbo, tune, EGR delete, and intercooler:p:D

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I have a 2010 TDI cup edition (DSG)... and a couple months ago I went malone stage 2 with mid pipe, down pipe, and DPF delete.

I've been dying to get the stage 3.5 with the CR170.. I know this question has been asked numerous times but I really would like to know how much better it opens the car up with the new turbo, tune, EGR delete, and intercooler:p:D
I was stage 2 (DPF and EGR deleted) for a little over a year before i went 3.5. It isn't quite the same jump as stock to stage 2 was but it is close. The biggest difference is above 4k RPM and at higher speeds. The car pulls hard all the way to redline now, you could feel it run out of air at stage 2. It also pulls much stronger at 60+ mph than it did at stage 2. It took some getting used to on how quickly I can get into "I'm getting arrested" territory :p

There is also more noticeable turbo noise now which I like. It is also smokier than it was at stage 2, although you only get real smoke when you're really getting on it.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
it is a large bump...its got to be close to stock to stage 2....its awesome, mine will pull hard over 5k. i ran stage 2 for 2 years then stage 3 then 3+ i have to say 3+ is some kind of fun

andrewspearns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDi Highline
Nothing complicated, just nuts and bolts. Stock clutch holds stage 3 power no problem.
I'm picking up a 2013 Golf TDi w/6MT this week, moving up from a Stage 4 MKIV Jetta. Malone's website says that a clutch upgrade is needed for a Stage 3, Ken is this the case or will it hold in your experience?

Sorry for threadbombing, best of luck with the install. A buddy of mine did it with little wrenching experience, just took his time.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
clutch will hold just fine...ive been proving it and pushing it harder then most ever will..my clutch has never slipped....fly wheel shutter is there as it is with even stage 2 drive around it not that big of deal...stay out of it under 2k in high gears no worries

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
Finally got everything out of the car. Only thing that's installed at this point is the elbow for the coolant by pass of the EGR Cooler. The exhaust should arrive Tuesday and my ECU will hopefully be back by Friday.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
I'm picking up a 2013 Golf TDi w/6MT this week, moving up from a Stage 4 MKIV Jetta. Malone's website says that a clutch upgrade is needed for a Stage 3, Ken is this the case or will it hold in your experience?

Sorry for threadbombing, best of luck with the install. A buddy of mine did it with little wrenching experience, just took his time.
As others said, the clutch will hold fine (I too, was worried about this at first). One thing I will add is to let your tuner know that you'll be keeping the stock clutch/flywheel and they will reduce your peak torque a bit to keep flywheel shudder to a minimum. You can still get shudder, but it won't be as bad.

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
One thing I should add with a 2009 the DPF, Exhaust Flapper and Cats are all one piece, so i had to use the sawzaw to cut and make a mid pip so i could pull out the DPF.

I didn't lower the subframe at all just completely removed the passenger side axle and banged on the Transmission tunnel heat shield to make room and pulled and wiggled until that bastard was out.

The turbo came out fairly easily, the egr connector on the drives side of the exhaust manifold was a PITA, ended up removing boost pipes and whatever else was in the way and got the bolts out from the top.

The rest of the parts arrive today, I'm hoping they go in easier then they come out.

sdlucky7

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
If I was to purchase something like the PolarFIS prf03 how accurate could I expect the EGT readings to be from the factory sensors?
http://www.movitelonline.com/b2c/pr...dvanced-pf03-interface-plastic-kessy-edition-
I'm mostly wondering if it's worth it to just order the 3.5 tune and get a EGT gauge while i'm at it and I really like the idea of using the screen already in the car.
Everything should be here tomorrow if all goes well I'll have everything up and running next week after the ECU gets back.....Still have to send it out.
I have the PolarFIS in my car now. I don't have Stage 3 (yet... California issues), but I can tell you that it should be ok since it reads the sensor data directly from the CanBus gateway. So as long as the sensor can report the value, they PolarFIS should be able to show it.

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
Everything is installed and the car is back on the road. Thank you to Fixmyvw.com Andrew is great, and his team is fantastic to work with. I emailed them at 12am my time 3am their time and got a response in 30mins while i was working on the car! Seriously the best customer service for any site I've ever ordered parts from and I now have 3 modified cars.

Stage 3 is awesome, I skipped everything else so I can only comment on it based on stock. The car now pulls all the way to redline and feels like it would keep pulling. I've only take the car out for a few miles so far but now I can't wait to drive it more. Might even take it on a road trip this weekend if the snow holds out and I dont need to bring the Subaru.