Golf tdi 99 hard start from cold and yesterday won't start at all

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
My Golf tdi won't start from yesterday. It was having hard start problem since I have the car for servicing in Early Dec. After a week the engine cut off while driving and had to spray "easy start" to start the engine. Since then I was having hard start problem and yesterday it refuses to start at all.

Done 328k miles.

Car was taken back to garage after servicing to inspect. They replaced inline fuel filter but this didn't helped. I have taken it twice to garage they didn't seem find a fault.
1) Glow plug were checked. They were fine.
2) Glow plug light comes. I have borrowed vag com and adjusted the glow plug timer as well. The light stays longer but it doesn't help. Vag come report interminent MAF problem other than that no faults. The sensor temperature reported was similar to the outside temperature.
3) No problem to start when engine was hot.
4) Battery replaced during servicing as well.

Where do I go on from here?

1) I haven't checked if harness is getting supply from battery? Will that be first thing to check?

HNY... cheers

Where do I start now??

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Might be a starter issue. I believe the MKIV Golf TDI needs to spin the engine at >240 rpms before the fuel will be injected. On tired, old starters sometimes during a cold start up they just can't turn the engine over fast enough. The fact that once warm your car will start with no problems I think is the key to diagnosing this problem.

Also clean all your ground connections, even the one under the battery. It might just be that as well.

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
Might be a starter issue. I believe the MKIV Golf TDI needs to spin the engine at >240 rpms before the fuel will be injected. On tired, old starters sometimes during a cold start up they just can't turn the engine over fast enough. The fact that once warm your car will start with no problems I think is the key to diagnosing this problem.

Also clean all your ground connections, even the one under the battery. It might just be that as well.
How do I check if its a starter issue?

Thanks.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Look at Puter's reply above in Post #2 in his signature. There is a listing for troubleshooting cars that won't start. I believe Post #7 of that article will get you started.

With 328K miles has your starter ever been replaced? Have the wire connections to the starter ever been cleaned?

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
Look at Puter's reply above in Post #2 in his signature. There is a listing for troubleshooting cars that won't start. I believe Post #7 of that article will get you started.

With 328K miles has your starter ever been replaced? Have the wire connections to the starter ever been cleaned?
As far as I remember it hasn't been replaced nor wire connections.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
1st off, NEVER NEVER NEVER use ether in these engines!!!!!!! You WILL cause major engine damage!

Second, the first thing you do with a ALH that starts hard is check the IP timing with VCDS.Unless you know the timing is spot on, the rest will be a waste of time and money.

If it's the starter going bad, the engine will crank over very slowly in the morning. I had to replace mine at 250K.

Justin9212

TDI
2000 Jetta GL 5spd
When was the last timing belt done? If they did not time the IP pump correctly it would cause this issue.

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
1st off, NEVER NEVER NEVER use ether in these engines!!!!!!! You WILL cause major engine damage!

Second, the first thing you do with a ALH that starts hard is check the IP timing with VCDS.Unless you know the timing is spot on, the rest will be a waste of time and money.

If it's the starter going bad, the engine will crank over very slowly in the morning. I had to replace mine at 250K.
How do I check the IP timing, mate? Is there forum link with details?

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Did you go through the troubleshooting nostart link in my sig?

Also, you may already have engine damage from the ether.

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
Did you go through the troubleshooting nostart link in my sig?

Also, you may already have engine damage from the ether.
I have done some checks as suggested in your link but couldn't find anything.

Car won't start at all now.

1) Anti Shutter:p Valve is open.
2) Glowplug hardness is getting power.

Where do I go on from here mates?

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
Also Ether was applied by AA. Also one more thing the car used to have duel fuel system running in Veg oil but system hasn't been used for last year or so? Could these be the factor as well??

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I doubt you would have any success going back to the company asking for repairs, esp. since the repairs are expensive. If I were in your place I would get the car to a guru and ask them to check the engine since ether has been used on it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1972368&postcount=6

That link is in the post in my sig, have you gone through all of the troubleshooting there?

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
I doubt you would have any success going back to the company asking for repairs, esp. since the repairs are expensive. If I were in your place I would get the car to a guru and ask them to check the engine since ether has been used on it.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1972368&postcount=6

That link is in the post in my sig, have you gone through all of the troubleshooting there?
Have followed your link done all other verification expect """First you want to verify that there is voltage at the fuel shut-off wire."" How do I do it??

Also any TDI gurus around Swindon, Wilts, UK area??

Cheers,

deep_sing

TDI
golf mk4 tdi
HI aLL,

Latest update is when we jump start the car it starts after few cranks but doesn't start on its battery on its own...... So really wondering whats the problem, could it be batteries which was replaced in Dec 10. They are 70 AMP batteries.

Cheers,
Dees