Tried to use my "loyalty" card today... bad dealer

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
I just had another conversation with my local VW dealer and VW of America about my "loyalty" card. What a bunch of bozo's. The parts guy tried to tell me how bad it has been for the dealership and that I should be happy I have the card, etc. and that they have lost a lot of money. I tried to explain to them that I (among other people who bought these cars) am part of the people that keep them in business and why they exist. Still didn't matter; they wouldn't let me use my card to buy my friends parts. VWofA said each dealer is independently owned and they could do what they want. I asked them if that means they can refuse the "buy-back" when it hits.... we'll no, but they don't have to take the card if it doesn't work into their accounting system (or some bogus thing). I sent a nice e-mail to VW stating that any thoughts I had about keeping this car are done. I also wanted to buy parts for my Dodge. Oh sure but we'll have to mark them up if you want to do that....

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Could be a VW/Chrysler dealer?

Or could be Chrysler minivan parts, that are shared with the Routan?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Dealer only card is lock to the dealer that activates it (or at least its supposed to be, per activation instructions), but the VISA branded card can be used any where.

Telling a business "I am the reason you're in business" is kinda like telling a cop "I pay your salary". Technically correct, but a slap in the face and you won't win many arguments. I agree the dealer was being stuck up about it, but it is their right to piss off all their customers and go out of business. ;)

VWGofA has lost a few lawsuits with dealers while trying to enforce the legal contract signed as part of their franchise agreement. There are powerful lobbies in the car dealer business, as Tesla found out when trying to bypass them. So at this point WVGofA can't really tell the dealer to do something to help you in this situation, buuuuuut if they enough problems with a particular dealer they can start cutting their bonus monies, car allotments, planning costs, decline warranty claims, etc. Basically make it difficult to do business.

Back to the cards - they are technically only for you to use on or for your car. Reality is its your money and why would a dealer complain as long as they get paid? But Dodge parts?

Jason

bhtooefr

TDI
None
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/goodwill_package_faqs/ said:
The Volkswagen Dealership Card (white card) is preloaded with $500 of funds that can be used like cash at any participating Volkswagen dealership in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. It can be applied to any transaction where the participating dealer accepts Visa, such as parts and accessories, vehicle service, or towards the purchase or lease of a new or used vehicle.
And, the agreement is structured that you can authorize someone else to use the card, too.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Minor detail - any participating dealer, and as it was explained to me (I work there BTW) any dealer can activate the cards, but after activation can only be used at that dealer. I did see some training papers that said the same.

Doesn't mean they didn't change the rules after people complained.

Jason

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The agreement at that FAQ page only says that you can use it at the merchant named on the card, which is... VW dealerships, it seems? Not any specific VW dealership named.

My guess is they changed it.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
End of the day I'll just go purchase a bunch of oil or something (don't need tires) or sell the card to someone locally and if I have to go down and purchase parts for them, I will. I'm not going to keep the car, the dealer has never been helpful, etc. My money can go to some company that I respect and a dealership that treats their customers fairly. Bye, bye VW.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Dealer only card is lock to the dealer that activates it (or at least its supposed to be, per activation instructions), but the VISA branded card can be used any where.

Telling a business "I am the reason you're in business" is kinda like telling a cop "I pay your salary". Technically correct, but a slap in the face and you won't win many arguments. I agree the dealer was being stuck up about it, but it is their right to piss off all their customers and go out of business. ;)

VWGofA has lost a few lawsuits with dealers while trying to enforce the legal contract signed as part of their franchise agreement. There are powerful lobbies in the car dealer business, as Tesla found out when trying to bypass them. So at this point WVGofA can't really tell the dealer to do something to help you in this situation, buuuuuut if they enough problems with a particular dealer they can start cutting their bonus monies, car allotments, planning costs, decline warranty claims, etc. Basically make it difficult to do business.

Back to the cards - they are technically only for you to use on or for your car. Reality is its your money and why would a dealer complain as long as they get paid? But Dodge parts?

Jason
Jason,
You are correct. According to VWofA these cards can be used by anyone, at any VW. They state that if another person has your card, they assume that you have given them permission. I think some people on the forum have used them at some dealerships online to purchase parts too but I don't remember who/where.

That's what's wrong with "customer service" these days. The companies forget why they are in business (IMHO) and those that do well treat customers like they know that. Some good examples for me lately? Weber Grills; they replaced parts free, etc. that failed. No questions, etc. Just sent me new parts. Prana. I had issues with sizing. No problem. Send in old pants, they sent me new (sort of; had to purchase new, then they refund). No questions. VW? Everything is an issue. Dealer states they are getting screwed, losing money, etc. from what happened. Not my problem, I don't care as I was the one who purchased one of the cars under fraudulent conditions. No skin off my back, but it's going to hurt them more than me and they keep digging the hole deeper with this kind of customer (non) service.