Gassers Emission testing

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
I wonder how many gas cars and trucks would fail, as maybe they have lied about them like VW did on their diesels ?????

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
I wonder how many gas cars and trucks would fail, as maybe they have lied about them like VW did on their diesels ?????
Many locations in the us do more than an odb2 plug in....
Full dyno test....
Sure...there might be a defete devise....but I doubt it...the emissions systems are passive....they work just by being there....on a diesel, the systems are ACTIVE....so a HUGE difference.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I expect a lot of DI gassers will fail miserably when tested on-road under real world driving conditions, even if NO cheating is involved. It would be a case where emissions certification testing doesn't accurately reflect emissions under real world driving conditions. VW's cheat was a wake-up call for the auto industry and regulators worldwide.

We already know that future emissions standards will require on-road emissions testing using PEMS. I say this is the start of things to come as more vehicles undergo on-road emissions testing under real world driving conditions. IMHO, whether there is cheating involved or not, emissions noncompliance under real world driving conditions will not be limited to VW and not limited to diesel.

VW mentioned in an article a few months ago that GPFs are being added to their gassers for 2018. It will be interesting to see what kind of problems they will have and how much of a hit in FE they will take. I'm wondering how regenerations will be handled.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=462855&highlight=Gassergate+scandal
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=465167&highlight=Gassergate+scandal

Given VW was caught cheating with the CR TDIs and given the corporate culture which allowed it to occur and for so long, I can't help but wonder if they have also been cheating with their gassers. When there's one, there's usually more. For all we know, could there be a Gassergate scandal about to unfold??

ICCT and WVU, please test some DI gassers using PEMS!

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The DI gassers aren't necessarily "failing" or "cheating" ... you can't cheat at or fail something that is not tested for.

Certain DI gasoline engines are known to have high PM emissions when running under load, but it's under load conditions that are outside the conditions seen during emissions testing. That isn't necessarily "cheating". If you operate the engine at the conditions seen under emissions testing but do so on the road, it runs the same as it does in the lab. (That's where VW cheated.)

Most gasoline engines whether DI or otherwise run rich when under high load - conditions outside those seen in emissions testing. Forced-induction engines may have to go into this mode whenever they are under boost. If that engine was downsized ... that mode may happen under a lot more real-world driving conditions than a bigger but non-boosted engine might see. The manufacturer will be careful to ensure that it does not have to run under those conditions during the official test procedures.

"Teaching to the test" isn't the same as "cheating". Everyone teaches to the test ...