2011 Gen 1 - Great Deal or Bust?

O'Brien

TDI
2001 TDI Golf Automatic
Hello everyone. Currently own a 01 Golf TDI that just crested 255k miles. Looking into the expanding inventory of Gen 1 2.0s that seem to be hitting more and more dealers, some with really low mileage and crazy low asking prices relative to blue book.

I'm seeing mixed reviews everywhere I turn on this, and back when I first was considering purchasing my 2001, I turned to the experts and enthusiasts here - and after 9 years (the "last visited" counter made me a little slack jawed) I am back looking for more advice.

Me: Minimal daily driving (5-10 miles) some slightly longer trips on the weekends. I've driven a TDI in this manner for 9 years now, and I don't want to go back even with my less than ideal diesel driving routine. I'm not a tuner or really even mechanically that competent when it comes to vehicles, and we thankfully have a couple of certified VW diesel mechanics that I have used for years that I can rely on - assuming the car isn't a complete dud.

The Car 2011 TDI, under 50k miles, was a buyback vehicle that sat parked for 3 years. Emissions fix was just done in the last month, has the VW Extended Warranty. Beautiful car, but here is the ultimate rub - its an out-of-state purchase for me, so it's not easy to drive down and get some hands on test drive experience to see how it "feels". This particular vehicle is about $4k under blue book - good and bad because it makes me that much more nervous.

I know this has been touched on in MULTIPLE threads, because I have spent the last few hours reading as much as I could. Just feeling almost more confused at this point - more knowledgeable, but definitely conflicted. Opinions are much appreciated, I trust this community more than anything else out there.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The newer cars aren't really suited to your driving regime due to regen requirements of the dpf filter. You would probably have to take an active role in ensuring these were done and allowed to complete when needed. As suggested some inspection and/or pictures of all of the car including the underside while up on a lift and engine and such to check for corrosion. A CarFax should also be done to see where the car came from before being turned in and the service history and ownership records. You neglected to include current asking price. Out of state cars like this you should find a trusted mechanic if possible to look it over or at least maybe a member to go look it over and take pictures for you. I have done this before for others in the past. How far away is it? Sitting for 3 years is a big issue if it hasn't been completely redone since then. Is it from a VW dealer or just some other dealer?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Your driving habits seem ideally suited for an EV. Have you considered something like the Chevy Volt? But, if you're set on a diesel, and the price is right- I'd say go for it. Your weekend drives should allow for adequate dpf regens.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you do jump on the CR TDI, i'd factor in a DPF delete, after that you shouldn't have any issues with your driving habits and keeping the car for another 5-10 years.

O'Brien

TDI
2001 TDI Golf Automatic
I'm glad you brought up the dpf filter, because with my 01 I have no experience with this. I originally purchased my TDI because I had an 80 mile commute each day, so it made perfect sense at the time. Since have taken a different job that is 5 miles from home, and we have a 2016 TSI gasser as well that is our go-to for long trips now.

Carfax is clean and confirms what I suspected - it was a lease turn in, sold as CPO to a 2nd owner who then took part in the buyback. It was odd at first because it was showing as a repossession. It's been sitting since 2016 and VW did a pre-auction slate of maintenance - brakes, rotors resurfaced, etc. It is not a VW dealer, but does seem to be a reputable import dealer from my research. Asking price is in the 8k range.

It is about an 8-9 hour round trip for me to see the car as well.

O'Brien

TDI
2001 TDI Golf Automatic
I have considered this. I have a close friend who owned and loved his Volt, but I do not have the charging ability that it would require with my current home unfortunately.

Your driving habits seem ideally suited for an EV. Have you considered something like the Chevy Volt? But, if you're set on a diesel, and the price is right- I'd say go for it. Your weekend drives should allow for adequate dpf regens.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The dpf is not a deal breaker but the car will do better if you are in the know about it and what to do if needed. There are OBDII tools that will let you monitor it as well. The general thought is to try and recognize when they are happening and not interrupt them if possible/convenient. If you do interrupt one try to let it complete on your next drive cycle if possible. They take about ten minutes at speed to complete. About every 200 to 300 miles depending on your driving. Short tripping will be the shorter period more than likely. Not letting it complete its cycles will eventually cause the car not to start and need to be towed to the dealer. Not really as bad as it seems but knowledge is power and you can help it when needed. Deleting is an option as well but wouldn't be my first choice. If you have insurmountable issues with warranty service when available or after warranty expires that can always be a solution. I would say go for it and drive there on a Saturday and have a look. After pictures of it from all over. These can be excellent cars for relatively little money! Check this thread out so you don't get some of these.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497194

Check wiring carefully and check for rodent damage.