Proper way to bleed coolant?

rpm-inc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 beetle, 2015 golf s
After the rawtek delete, I topped off the expansion tank and let it run with the cap off. Didn't go down. Went for a short drive, the alarm came on and I filled it back up. Went a few miles home, and found the coolant bleed on vcds. Couldn't find any instructions online, but did what vcds told me to do, which was press the gas and brake at the same time. Coolant level did not drop. I did it for maybe a minute, not knowing what I was doing.

Anyways, thought I was good. A hundred miles or so later, the alarm came on while driving. Filled it back up again. 400 miles or so later, today, the alarm came on when starting the car which hadn't been driven since yesterday. So is there still air in the system or is this something unrelated? I haven't noticed any leaks, the temp gauge was always at 200, and I have never smelled any coolant. Also the oil on the dipstick looks fine.

I have added a total of 1 gallon of coolant so far since losing the coolant from the delete install. And it needs more right now.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Did you put the exact amount that you drained back into the system and since then you've added over a gallon?

If so have you checked your EGR cooler deletes? you may have a leak.

With the complexity of the coolant loops and the number of coolant pumps, I wouldn't be to worried if you just top up the over flow each time you get the warning, 5-10 heat cycles should get it to where it needs to be. If you still need to add more you most likley have leak someplace.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The hose that comes from the hard pipe down to the electric heater core pump is a PITA to get off the pipe. I've had to replace it once due to it ripping when using a pick to get it loosened. Did it again this last time, but fortunately it's not leaking because the tear is high enough up. Getting these things full of coolant is tough even if you run the pumps with VCDS. I've always just had to fill it to the brim the first couple times and then just check often till it stops moving.