2001 GOLF TDI Extended waranty

MilenP

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

I'm still a new member of that club as well as a new owner of an exclellent car
So the question is - is it worth it to get the extended waranty I was offered by the dealer?
First - is it worth it to get it at all, and second - is the waranty offered by the dealer the best on the market?
If anybody has an oppinion, I'll be very thankful.

So long,

Milen

Smithers

Veteran Member
Milen,

This subject has been debated here time and again, usually with much hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth.

The 2 schools of thought are generally;

1) I'll never have covered repairs which will exceed the cost of the warranty in the first place.

2) It's like any other type of insurance, you may need it and you'll be glad you have it if you do.

Like anything else, it's risk vs. benefit. I say if you can afford it, and the dealer will give you at least a 30% discount on the price of the warranty, go for it. I purchased the warranty for my last 2 cars. I broke even with one, and probably actually profited with the other because I got a better price when selling the car while it was still under warranty.

Hope this helps.

Rob

BTW - I see you're in Hinsdale. I grew up in Clarendon Hills and graduated from Hinsdale Central mmmmmm a few years back.

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
Check out the site w.carbuyingtips.com. There are some usefule opinions of "extended waranty" there, and it should get you started in the direction of research you need to take.

MilenP

Veteran Member
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advise. Very glad to hear you grew up near by. It's great area and so far w e are planning to stay here. Nad not to forget - at least 3 gas stations which sell diesel in ~10 minutes distance each

Bye for now,

Milen

MilenP

Veteran Member
Thank you all for the replys. I'm working now to get the prise down, but even if can't, I'll probably still get it. I think, I'll brake even with , God forbid, the first unexpected visit to the shop.

Milen

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
MilenP:

I paid $805.00 for a 7 year, 100K, zero deductible extended warranty on my ride and am hoping to break even on it too.

Being in the auto repair business has taught me a lot of things about preventive maintenance and having good insurance. Most folks (like a few on this Forum) just like to get by with the bare-bones minimum and aren't prepared when a catastrophy comes.

You can also save the money and insure yourself or do a combination of both.

Hence, I took the gamble in hopes that I'll get my $805.00 back somehow through this bumper to bumper extended warranty and use self insurance as well.

MilenP

Veteran Member
Thank you for the reply.
I have a question though. Is that deal thru the VW dealer or you just shopped around and found it? Because I'm facing $995 with my dealer, for the same 7 years/100K miles.
Any advise about any discounts on this waranty?

Milen

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
MilenP: Just a question, have you yet read the fine print of the plan you are being sold?

MilenP

Veteran Member
NewbieBaby:

Yes I did read everything. Is there I should see between the lines that you are aware or just a general question

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
HAD, past tense, a 7yr, 100K, extended warranty on my 2001 Jetta GL TDI.
Studied the fine print and found, among other things, that I HAD to change the oil at 5K. Checked with VW dealer and they couldn't answer or get one. (Big Clue!)

The warranty would only pay for PART of a daily car rental IF the TDI was NOT inop due to a collision. I can get better rental car reimbursement from USAA Insurance.
Cancelled the warranty, got a full refund applied to the principal of my car loan.

Too many sneaky clauses, they couldn't decide whether the turbo and the intercooler were covered.

For me, better to self-insure, i.e. save a bit o'cash each month as a maintenance fund. Besides, I get to keep the interest accrued.

Your mileage may vary.

[This message has been edited by gardentender (edited October 04, 2000).]

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
MilenP: The perspective behind the question is consistent with gardentender's experience. Its been a while for me on this topic, but I am aware some plans are much better than others, and rude awakenings about the particulars of coverage and time and emotional energy spent in dispute (and all the while the car does not work) are to be avoided if at all possible.

Frank Doherty

I decided to buy an extended warranty even for much the same reason that I buy other types of insurance......I can afford it and it gives me peace of mind. However, I did do some "shopping around" and got a 10 year, 100,000 mile, $0 deduct. warranty last April for my 2000 Jetta GL for $1024.00. The folks at Auto Advantage Inc. fully expect to make a profit on my $1024.00 purchase! Personally, I hope they do. In the mean time, I'm satisfied with the insurance and nobody in my family is going hungry over the money I spent. If you ARE going to buy a warranty, give Hal Moses a call @ 1-800-933-9190 and see what he has to sell you. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!

------------------
Frank Doherty
2000 GL Jetta
Tornado Red, Black Cloth, Splash Guards, STONGARD, Tinted Windows
License: D - SEL

MilenP

Veteran Member
Thank you Frank ,

I have almost the same deal as yours. I was just wandering if I can get a bit lower. So far - no luck.
I talked to them today about the coverage for the turbo, wich was one of the exceptions in the contract and they told me it was covered by VW 10 years-100K miles waranty on power train.
So let's hope we don't need this waranty for something serious

So long,

Milen