Accidentally put dyed off-road diesel.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
mxpxer41 said:
Thanks to everyone for all of their great input. Here is my next question: I am due for a tune-up fairly soon. Do I tell them about this mishap and have or do I just let them find it for themselves. I am afraid that if I tell them, then "everything from the hinge from the pistons to the hinge on the glove compartment" will be affected by this minor mistake. What should I do? Also, I fear that if I tell them, they will also find out I am using B20 and void any repairs that may need to be made. Thanks again.
You are in Colorado... What dealer are you going to?

Other than that, don't say a word to them. In order for them to void a repair then need to show that your fuel caused the failure. Even if you are running D2, and you toast an injector or something because of dry fuel, they won't cover it. Bad fuel is bad fuel, doesn't matter if it is B100, B20, B5, D2, Kerosene, Jet Fuel, Propane, or Gasoline... :D If you get bad fuel it won't be covered by VAG.

rixtory

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS Black
I run Home Heating Oil in my Kubota and have not had any problems. I filter it first. I have spoken to several HHO distributors besides my standard. I can get LSD2 or ULSD2, which is .15 cents per gallon more. The dye is added to the fuel as it is pumped into the truck.
While at TSC last week, I was speaking to one of the old timers and a guy came up looking or a fuel handi-pump. The old timer said they have had a run on these pumps due to folks now pumpin. HHO into their deisel equipment. I am always careful not to pump from the bottom of the tank, though.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
eth555 said:
Just FYI Minnesota does dip tanks for Red Dye fuel
They used to do it quite a bit for loggers and construction contractors, but I haven't seen them set up checking for a very long time now, although I'm sure they have the test dipping equipment with them for on the spot checks if they had a reason to.
I recently got over 200 gal of off-road/home heating oil just for hauling/transferring it from someone who sold their home, so I called the wholesaler to inquire as to any difference in HHO and offroad diesel. None he said. MN requires 2% (or whatever) bio in their on-road diesel and the state and county requires their off-road equipment to run the bio-blend also, so the guy they put me in touch with said it was too much of a hassel trying to figure out where/who was getting what so "most all of the time" the HHO and the off-road both would be the same, whether it had bio in it or not-no different additives, nothing. So the HHO I got is also now my dozer and tractor fuel, even though it is #1D. Free fuel is free fuel. Add the PowerService silver in summer and white bottle in the freezing weather. Double filter system on the bulk tank, just for good measure.

Ulflyer

TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
used HHO also

Hi, I put in 12 gallons of hho last week. I did the MPG figures and I seemed to get worse mpg with HHO??? I got 38.5 mpg vs. 42 mpg. I even did more highway miles on the HHO.

Any one else have the same results?:confused:

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
I had some hho left over in a tank a while back, ran it in the car, the mileage per tank was the same.

rene2

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2002 Black
John96895 said:
I had some hho left over in a tank a while back, ran it in the car, the mileage per tank was the same.
A friend of mine is using colored NO:1 ' Farmers fuel ' from one of his uncle's farm tank since 2002 and NEVER had ANY issues .
He put Stanadyne performance formula all year long and is doing zillions Km per year...

So apart the unpaid tax, it's the same stuff...

The rest is pure URBAN LEGEND...

jimmy19673

Veteran Member
i have a friend< wink wink that has been using dyed diesel for years just enjoy the 30 cent discount.that is the difference....