Viewing message threads: how to control width ?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Excuse me if this is the wrong place to post, but...

I've noticed that when reading messages on the various forums (fora), a page will occasionally come up that has a width greater than my screen.... necessitating using the horizontal scroller for every line....

Can someone explain why this happens on some pages and not on others?

Thanks

Yuri.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
This typically happens if there is a picture that is linked on the page whose resolution is greater than that of your computer's display.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
people need to re-size their pictures to something more manageable.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the reply... I can usually figure out computer problems, but this one made no sense..

I'm running my screen at 800x600... would you suggest going to a higher resolution? (my eyes won't be happy !!)

Yuri.

kabatc

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, '98, black
I keep my resolution at 1024*768 and have the same problem from time to time.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
>>I keep my resolution at 1024*768 and have the same problem from time to time. <<

Thanks!!! I thought that my computer was developing schizophrenia... I'll keep my screen at 800x600 and keep my eyes from straining..

All the best!!

Yuri.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Excuse me if this is the wrong place to post, but...

I've noticed that when reading messages on the various forums (fora), a page will occasionally come up that has a width greater than my screen.... necessitating using the horizontal scroller for every line....

Can someone explain why this happens on some pages and not on others?

Thanks

Yuri.
Its an image that is included in a post on the thread you are viewing ... kind of a pain if you are on a notebook computer or small monitor. Hopefully a few people will read this post and modify their uploading of photos. Perhaps if we politely mention this to the few doing this we'll have fewer and fewer 'wide loads' on the tdiclub super information highway.

I try to keep my images to 640 pixels wide both for readablity and to be semi-polite to dialup users. (I occasionally have to get my tdiclub fix by cell phone so definitely don't like 'wide-loads' which I classify as anything over 800 pixels.

I've posted a few personal hint at the end of the post called Answers to using the TDIClub 'pics' server.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This was answered already... but let me take the opportunity to thank you for your wonderful postings on the website !!!!!!!!!

Much appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!