Infotainment and backup camera issues

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SEL, '15 GSW S
I just scanned all 29 pages of the common issues thread and only saw one of these addressed, and not exactly my issue, either. Car is '15 GWS, 6MT.

Infotainment - how do I get the system (non-Nav, but with large touchscreen) to display album artwork from my ipod? I saw the post about the artwork pixel size, but that shouldn't be the issue because the same ipod displayed the artwork just fine in a '17 GSW All-Trak loaner with the same infotainment system. Do not have the VW lightning plug media cable, just 30 pin but with Apple adapter for 30 pin to lightning (gen 6 ipod). In the All-Trak loaner, the ipod was plugged in via USB, but my '15 has not USB input. Thoughts, ideas?

Backup camera - our driveway is about 100' long. Backing out, about halfway, the camera blinks off for 2-3 seconds (does not close up), then comes back on and works fine after that (not that I'm backing up much longer). On the loaner? No issue, camera on for as long as it's in reverse. Thoughts/ideas on this one?

Thank you very much.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the 15's dont have the second version of the infotainment system of the 17 loaner you had, '17 has car play you do not. There is a reason the '15 version of the infotainment was quickly replaced.

While the screen may be the same the guts in the glove box are different. does the '15 still have the VW proprietary MMI connection? if so, you are SOL unless you start tossing parts at it.

If you want to start tossing parts at it, you should look into tossing the new digital dash of the '18s in instead, it's bound to be much more interesting to look at that album art work.

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
By "proprietary MMI", I presume you're talking about the media interface cable, yes? Yes, that's exactly what I have (cable w/ odd plug provided by VW). I thought I'd just try plugging in via the USB cable, but there is no USB port in this car.

Thanks very much for the input. Looks like SOL it is! ;)

Still interested in anyone's thoughts of the backup camera blinking off for a couple of seconds - or is this also related to the version of the system I have?

Thanks again.

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
I also have a long driveway.

From personal observation, I believe the backup camera goes black when you exceed 5 MPH in reverse.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I also have a long driveway.

From personal observation, I believe the backup camera goes black when you exceed 5 MPH in reverse.
Yeah when I leave my moms driveway I give the car a little bit of throttle, and the rear view camera immediately goes black. When I back out without using the throttle at all its fine.

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah when I leave my moms driveway I give the car a little bit of throttle, and the rear view camera immediately goes black. When I back out without using the throttle at all its fine.
Ah - I never put those two together. I'll have to check for that.

Thanks!

smittyatl

TDI
GSW
I actually took my car to the dealer about it and no one could reproduce it.

Best I can tell, it cannot be coded to a higher speed.

Anyone know otherwise?

andrewf

TDI
F250 6.7 Count? / Jetta
Old thread, but this has been an annoyance of mine since I got my car. Who thought turning the camera off in the middle of backing is a wise idea.

My second pet peeve that I have not figured out how to change, is when I first go into reverse, the left side of the camera is covered in black with the parking sensor overlay, then about 5 seconds in, it goes away.

What this means is that 1/2 of my camera view is blocked every single time.

Havent found a thread or fix for that, yet.

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
Old thread, but this has been an annoyance of mine since I got my car. Who thought turning the camera off in the middle of backing is a wise idea.

My second pet peeve that I have not figured out how to change, is when I first go into reverse, the left side of the camera is covered in black with the parking sensor overlay, then about 5 seconds in, it goes away.

What this means is that 1/2 of my camera view is blocked every single time.

Havent found a thread or fix for that, yet.

I've been searching this too. Minimizing it is a bit wonky. Most of the time if I minimize it, the proximity sensor registers that my hand is close and just covers 1/2 the screen back up. Probably my biggest pet peeve with the car.