Mk6 broken v clamp at downpipe

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I was just wondering if these are pretty infrequent items to break. While driving to pick up the trailer from my disabled GMC K3500 (mechanic who worked on it used shear bolts on the rebuilt engine/new head, so I had 2 sheared bolts on the AC comrpessor, after replacing shear bolts that held the alternator on the other side of the motor a few days prior).
My luck, I hear lots of rushing air, and though I had a boost leak. So here I am with the hood open, behind my diesel truck, and the v clamp and gasket are gone from my downpipe. I fixed it later that night, and it was pretty easy.

My questions - is it normal for these to break, or not that frequent? I think it's original to the car, and I now have 216K miles on it. It took about 15 minutes to replace it at night under cover of a small military genset with lights on top (upgraded to 1000 watt metal halide, so it sure beats using a Harbor Freight halogen light stand).

Second question - how tight should the bolt be? I got mine snug - it's not bottomed out. Took the car for a short (7 mile) test drive and checked the clamp at 3 places, and it looked okay.

Yesterday wasn't my day for diesels; I even had to fix a small boost leak on the Golf, but at least my TDIs had the easiest problems to fix. Also, does anyone carry any of these clamps as spares?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Hi from Texas ;-)

No I have never had one break but i don't wrench down too hard. Maybe check again after driving for a little while. I did forget the turbo to exhaust metal gasket during this last exhaust install. I was a 12 pack in so things happen but it's been fine without it anyway.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
A 12 pack in. Ha, a 12 pack will last me about a week, even while working on my truck! I would assume that if you're straight piped, you're good, since the exhaust is obviously exiting via the path of least resistance!