Looking For Opinions - Transmission Swap

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
So I took my '13 Passat NMS to the California DMV Referee station the other day for 1 last attempt to get it smog'd. It failed and it has now been 10 months since the car had current registration tag's so I am giving up and selling it back.

Here is what I need opinions on. Should I pay $750.00 to swap out my modified transmission with the spare stock transmission I have in my garage and attempt to sell the modified one? With labor I have almost $5000.00 into the modified transmission.

Obviously there is not going to be a market for it. I would have to get lucky and find someone like myself that is working on an eccentric mod like me.

The modified trans has the following:
WaveTrac limited slip dif
Luk flywheel that supersedes the stock/OEM fw
SPP clutch pack
External cooler and oil pump - turns on when/if the trans fluid reaches a temp threshold. Stock/OEM cooler still runs full duty
New oil pan fitted with AN8 fittings, Oil lines
Some new bearings
On/Off switch to manually activate the secondary cooler if so desired
DSG Tune with launch control, no rev limit.

So, do I spend even more money in hopes of finding a buyer or just cut my loss and walk away?

Thanks all!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Did you mod the engine too? Or are the transmission mods messing with smog?
According to the Dieselgate resolution the state can't fail an unmodified TDI for
emissions. But the engine and transmission are closely linked in software, I know.
Be that as it may, I would swap the trans and try to sell it. Why give it away?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I'm with flee^^^^ swap the trans back to OEM and put the modified one up for sale; there is always a buyer for such an incredible transmission.
Don't give away the BA and then get noting for the stock one after the fact.
Or, contact Malone and see what they have to say about your "smog" issue.
Keep us posted, will you?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What's the issue at the smog station? If its a software issue, have you contacted the Malone, and other tuners for a solution?

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
Thanks for the advice! Here are some answers to questions asked.

No I had not modded the Engine other then a Stage II tune. My plan was to install a CP3 pump, a GTB2260VK turbo a DS tubular manifold, EGR Delete, 3" downpipe etc and then upgrade to a custom tune. I had just finished the trans work when the scandal broke.

Before I took the car in for the fix I put the stock tune back in via Flashzilla and then put some miles on the car. After the fix I put more miles on the car and then it came time to renew the reg. Last year was a smog year so I took the car to the guy who does all my cars. If I ask he will check the car first with his handheld at no charge. The car came back with 4 incomplete/not ready. I drove the car more and went back a couple weeks later and he checked it again. No change. Then I re-applied the Stage II tune and put some miles on the car and he checked again. Still no-go. He then told me about a station that might be able to pass the car with the codes so I took it there. The guy it this station came back and told me he cleared the codes but the system/DMV wouldn't let him run the test. He told me I had to take it to a state DMV Referee station. I took it there and the guy ran it and then came back and told me he could see that the private station had recently cleared the codes but that the codes came back up. The max he amount of codes he can pass is 2 and my car has 4 so again no go.

No I have not contacted Malone but I can certainly try

Here are the failures. They are listed under "OBDII Monitors Not Ready"
Boost Pressure System
PM Filter
Exhaust Gas Sensor
EGR and/or VVT System

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I can't see how the built trans is causing those codes. I'd definately contact Malone or others for advice, they can probably fix that.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
There were a couple of other folks here that had the same issue with the fix. They ended up taking the buy-back as well.

The claims rep I have been working with also said there were others with the same issue. He also said some of them were able to be resolved, but they had no fix for mine. I take that with a grain of salt. I have to doubt VW is using resources and $$$ to try and fix this. I think they would simply wait me out.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
I just heard back from Malone. They cannot help as it is illegal for them to clear Ready codes.

I have a shop that will do the swap for $750.00. I no longer have access to a rack and I have no desire to do it in my driveway so that's the route I am going to take.

Thanks all!!

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I had this issue with my Q5 TDI after the fix. It took several different types of driving (i.e. city with traffic, city without traffic and highway) for several weeks before all the readiness codes showed up as "ready". Huge hassle but it eventually sorted itself out.