Rough idle, knocking, and check engine light on

Jwill

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual
About a month ago my Jetta started making a knocking noise at idle and shakes the car really bad. It feels like it’s about to stall out or die when it’s in neutral but then once I push in on the clutch it’s still there but it lessens a bit. Once I start giving it gas it runs perfectly smooth. The check engine light came on so I took it to a few auto part stores and the engine code it read was P2002 which was “...”. One of the guys suggested I use an exhaust and fuel system cleaner so I put Cataclean in it and the check engine light went off for a day but then came back on. Now it’s making a humming noise when I try to start it and doesn’t run at all. I’m just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or has any idea what is wrong/needs replaced and then what type of costs is associated with fixing that.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
About a month ago my Jetta started making a knocking noise at idle and shakes the car really bad. It feels like it’s about to stall out or die when it’s in neutral but then once I push in on the clutch it’s still there but it lessens a bit. Once I start giving it gas it runs perfectly smooth. The check engine light came on so I took it to a few auto part stores and the engine code it read was P2002 which was “...”. One of the guys suggested I use an exhaust and fuel system cleaner so I put Cataclean in it and the check engine light went off for a day but then came back on. Now it’s making a humming noise when I try to start it and doesn’t run at all. I’m just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or has any idea what is wrong/needs replaced and then what type of costs is associated with fixing that.
Sounds like HPFP failure to me. Pull codes with VCDS, remove fuel filter and check for metal shavings on top.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Rarely will you get good advice from a parts house although surprisingly, a somewhat knowledgeable clerk did tell me that products like Cataclean that claim to clean your cat are snake oil designed to find the lack of automotive understanding in their customers and exploit it.