Metallic noise upon Start-up

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
Hello my TDI friends.

This morning, when I was leaving for work I got a weird metallic noise right after I started the car. The RPM appeared to be steady at around 800 but there was what sounded like a metal grinding noise for about 2-4 seconds. I have a '13 Golf with about 47k. I did an oil change about 1k miles ago with no issue and drove a 400 mile trip on Saturday with no issues. Car was parked in the garage all day on Sunday. (OEM VW 505/507 oil used with VW filter and VW drain plug/washer.)

Could it be a throw out bearing?

I'm looking for some insight and knowledge to see if you guys can throw out some ideas and help a fellow TDI driver out.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
This is interesting, I have a similar noise upon startup, always have. It's very faint and not always audible. Any chance you could get a video of it? I'd like to compare.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
I'll try to the next time it happens. I haven't heard it since so I hope it was just a little one time event type thing.
Have you had any other issues in your 60k+ miles of driving your JSW? I'm approaching 48k in my Golf and just curious.

WolfsburgGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
MK VI Golf TDI
So a quick update, a week has passed and this happened again which leads me to believe it was a one time occurrence. Have not noticed anything else unusual. I'll be taking the car for a 1k trip in couple weeks.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
One known thing about the VW's, that could make this sound (and it ain't good), is the DMF or dual mass flywheel. There are some videos on youtube. If you hear this again... There is an inner and outer part of the flywheel assembly that is connected with springs and they fail. It makes noise, best case. Worst case it shreds, goes hand grenade, causing engine/trans case damage.... and other nasty things.

Last edited:

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
Having done a few DMF repairs on these, I know it's a different sound. I'm convinced it's something in the HVAC system, or maybe the exhaust flap rattling.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk