Life after 100k+ miles. Things to consider?

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Just digging this back up. I'm at 95k miles. Car is paid off now and I'm averaging about 2k miles per month still. DMF is still rattling but I'm determined to get it replaced under warranty. Wife's company recently got acquired and she will be out of a job come December (she's in-house counsel - looking for a new job now). VW will give me $18k for my TDI so now I'm debating taking the 18k and purchasing a 2014+grand cherokee, or a 2016 Jetta Sport, or keeping my TDI for the next two years and then turning it in.

I know that long term I want a Grand Cherokee - I want back into an SUV and they have an unlimited mile/year warranty available. Short term I'm hesitant to take on more debt due to my wife's job situation. I'd be spending $522 a month fuel & loan payment on a GC.

On the other hand, the 2016 Jetta Sports are selling for $17k around here or I could get a 1.4t Jetta for $14k. This is appealing given the great gas mileage, bumper to bumper warranty, etc. I've never had a sedan so not sure I want to go this route. Really would only keep until I could comfortably afford the grand cherokee which could be less than 2 years. I could consider a wagon but my wife hates wagons to the point she wont even drive mine (don't ask - it is non-negotiable). I'd be paying $331 per month fuel & loan payment.

Lastly, I could just keep my TDI for the next two years and put another $10k in the bank ($400 savings on loan payment * 24 months - assuming nothing goes wrong). My only concern is I'll be out of warranty (with the exception of the fuel pump. I could get to 120k miles and then slap on a 3micron kit. Its my understanding if I read the payout tables right, if I drive another year at my current mileage run rate my payout would be reduced by $1,600. Monthly fuel cost is $134.

I'm leaning towards the last option but concerned about waiting a year or two. I know this must seem a bit neurotic but I need to get these things out of my head on paper or I drive myself crazy.

Last edited:

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I am at 93,000 miles and plan to keep the car until at least close to 120,000 (HPFP warranty ends at that point). Then not sure to go buyback or fix.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
fix, use the money for CP3 pump and enjoy the roads.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I am at 93,000 miles and plan to keep the car until at least close to 120,000 (HPFP warranty ends at that point). Then not sure to go buyback or fix.
if your biggest worry is the hpfp, then time the fix for the latest possible time, and you get another 4 years/48,000 miles from VW on the hpfp.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
if your biggest worry is the hpfp, then time the fix for the latest possible time, and you get another 4 years/48,000 miles from VW on the hpfp.
Is that right? I didn't see that in any official VW print anywhere. Is it in our "fix" settlement documents?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Is that right? I didn't see that in any official VW print anywhere. Is it in our "fix" settlement documents?

in the paper book sent in the mail,

see page 16, Item 34

also

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/
The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification, and will cover all replaced components that are part of the Approved Emissions Modification, any component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification, and the engine subassembly. The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty also provides for a loaner vehicle if emissions warranty service will last longer than 3 hours.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:
(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of the installation of the Approved Emissions Modification (whichever comes first),
(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first), or
(c) 4 years of 48,000 miles from the date of the first resale transaction to the first person who purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale after the installation of the Approved Modification (whichever comes first).
For 2015 model year vehicles, the warranty period will be the greater of:
(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles from the date and mileage of the installation of the Approved Emissions Modification (whichever comes first),
(b) 10 years or 150,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first), or
(c) 4 years of 48,000 miles from the date of the first resale transaction to the first person who purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale after the installation of the Approved Modification (whichever comes first).

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/e...nt Agreement/Exhibit 3 - Long Form Notice.pdf

The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” is a warranty that will apply to all vehicles that
receive an Approved Emissions Modification, and will cover all replaced components that are part of the
Approved Emissions Modification, any component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved
Emissions Modification, as determined by the EPA and CARB, and the engine sub-assembly (which consists of
the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train).

I know this text does not include HPFP by name, but I am pretty sure it is spelled out someplace.

of course, the real test will be if it is spelled out in the final documents, as approved.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We had a customer stop in yesterday who drives an '13 JSW. He has 240K on it, drives 60K miles a year. He may turn it in so he can find another, lower mileage JSW that he can drive for a few more years.

He's had zero issues with the car. DPF/CAT/HPFP/turbo are all fine.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
We had a customer stop in yesterday who drives an '13 JSW. He has 240K on it, drives 60K miles a year. He may turn it in so he can find another, lower mileage JSW that he can drive for a few more years.

He's had zero issues with the car. DPF/CAT/HPFP/turbo are all fine.
Case in point that these cars love long highway trips. Me thinks that the folks who do have the most problems are the ones that don't drive as much.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I know this text does not include HPFP by name, but I am pretty sure it is spelled out someplace.

of course, the real test will be if it is spelled out in the final documents, as approved.
Let's hope. But I am still not convinced.

That will seriously make me reconsider selling it back...if the "fix" is done prior to my 120,000 miles HPFP warranty.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just had a CEL two days ago. I cleared the faults and so far they stayed off. I'm going to try lubricating the flap spring today, just from the outside on the spring. I know the valve is a warranty extension item up to 120K miles, but too bad I'm at 138K miles.

I guess I might need the fix for the P2015
http://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Repair_Bracket

Maybe I can get the HPFP upgrade and the P2015 fix at the same time! Or, maybe I should start thinking more seriously about taking the buyback? I guess it's nice to have options, although it makes it more confusing to decide what to do. I sure don't want to spend $15K+ to move to a new GTI even though I know I'd like the GTI very much.

2 Faults Found:
001151 - Exhaust Pressure Control Valve
P047F - 000 - Stuck Open - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 222386 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.02.21
Time: 03:14:54

008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1)
P2015 - 003 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100011
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 222521 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.02.25
Time: 00:59:56

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Here I go! I just made an appointment at GDM for the HPFP upgrade, the P2015 repair bracket, and professional lubrication of the Exhaust Pressure Control Valve. After the fix or if there is no fix, I might go delete too. That would be fun!

It's certainly less expensive to do this work than buy a new GTI. And I still love my little car!

Wish me luck!

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Here I go! I just made an appointment at GDM for the HPFP upgrade, the P2015 repair bracket, and professional lubrication of the Exhaust Pressure Control Valve. After the fix or if there is no fix, I might go delete too. That would be fun!
It's certainly less expensive to do this work than buy a new GTI. And I still love my little car!
Wish me luck!
Best of luck!!! I wish I could do a delete and keep mine. I really do love it and would prefer to not take on more debt. Still debating on what I'll do. Based on my models it really makes good sense to take the buy back, pay down some personal debt and either buy the grand cherokee or even better buy a 1.4 Jetta to commute with.