A little help before I purchase...

oericy

TDI
None, yet
I'm pretty close to making a move on purchasing a 2000 VW Jetta GLS TDI w/ 66,000 miles on it. 5 spd manual trans. I had a pre purchase inspection done by a trusted mechanic off of the website and just wanted to get the opinions of a few experienced members in regards to the outcome.

The current owner explained that he has replaced the MAF sesnor (himself) numerous times, and the CEL keeps illuminating.

There is also a CEL for the glow plug relay.

The current owner also explained that sometimes a loss of power is experienced. Which I would chalk up to an extermely clogged inake manifold, no?

Anyways, here's what the mechanic quoted me at to get the car back to perfection;

45.00 maf labor
340.00 decarb intake manifold
240.00 overlay for glow plug harness
65.00 glow plug relay

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
It sounds like all minor things, but I would look in the "trusted TDI mechanics" thread & let someone with more experience check it out.

oericy

TDI
None, yet
That's where I found this guy, he seems to know his stuff pretty damn well as far as the TDI's are concerned.

So as far as parts and labor I'm looking at 800.00.
I'm going to pick the car up for 10,000$.

10,800 for a 2k GLS TDI w/ 66k. Good deal or what?

Unfortunately though, it has the original TB still on it so I'll have to make a trip up to Wild Rose Motors when I get it home to San Diego.

DieselOx

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan 5sp 342,000mi
Sounds pretty good this time of year. I'd buy it, if I trusted the mechanic (you didn't say who this was we're trusting).

oericy

TDI
None, yet
Automotion Compact Car Care

Reno, Nevada

From the trusted mechanic section, has anyone had any experience with them?