Thoughts on the Alltrack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I must have tuned out to this model of VW or figured it was only available in Europe. Today, I saw a really cool video of the Golf Alltrack wagon on my social media feed and it appears to be something that is coming (or already available?) in the USA.

I intend to do the buyback option for my 2010 TDI JSW and planned to spend time shopping for a replacement wagon with AWD - either Subaru, Audi, Volvo...perhaps some other cross-overs. I did not have the Alltrack on my radar at all.

Given the fact that I love my JSW, is this Alltrack a viable replacement? I don't intend this thread to get into the merits of keep vs. sell back, but really just looking for people's opinions on the Alltrack.

Forgive me if there is a better forum location for this topic. Thanks!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Go for it! I think it is an improved, maybe the the best ever, JSW!

DSG only the first year, but 6-speed is coming after a year I think. I'm a Golf or GTI guy, but if I were a JSW guy I think I'd seriously consider the Alltrack.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
It is not out yet.
It is basically just an AWD Golf Sportwagen. The GSW is very similar to the JSW. I believe it is a little larger for the passengers, but gives up a little bit of rear cargo room. Virtually equal cargo room with the seats folded down.
It is on my list to look at when it does come out.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
I want one, but would prefer to wait for second model year.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I guess the thing that attracts me most, even though I'm really not a wagen guy, is the 6-speed manual option in a loaded vehicle. The regular GSW is 5-speed and that's only on the base model. It's the same reason I'd go for a GTI instead of a Golf, even though I'd probably be happy in other ways with the Golf.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The key is a TDI offering,so I don't think that is in the cards at least for a while. I do hope so at some point.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
Come on. This has been going on for a while (3-5 years?) and it never happens although VW has some more motivation now since I doubt many people will buy another VW; I won't. Dealer sucks here in Boise, they fooled me once, etc., etc.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
vaporware

Heard they are going to be harder to find then Golf R to keep demand up, cause that's what a struggling company needs to compete with Subaru.

remember this is VWoA they never give what the customer wants, they are smarter than we are.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I've seen a lot of videos of the AllTrack at different dealerships in the U.S. recently. The Humble Mechanic posted one a few weeks ago when it was at his dealership in NC.

TDI
none
Alltrack Pricing

My local dealer has 2 Alltracks listed.
An SE for $33K and an SEL for almost $37K
I'be been considering replacing my 2012 JSW with an Alltrack or an Outback.
At those prices, I think I'm leaning very strongly towards an Outback now.

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
My local dealer has 2 Alltracks listed.
An SE for $33K and an SEL for almost $37K
I'be been considering replacing my 2012 JSW with an Alltrack or an Outback.
At those prices, I think I'm leaning very strongly towards an Outback now.
Drive one before making up your mind. They really drive like a $30K+ car. I test drove a GTI first and the Alltrack still impressed me. One review I read said that in order to achieve the same engine performance in an Outback one would have to purchase the 3.6L model. Now you are talking the same kind of money.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Drive one before making up your mind. They really drive like a $30K+ car. I test drove a GTI first and the Alltrack still impressed me. One review I read said that in order to achieve the same engine performance in an Outback one would have to purchase the 3.6L model. Now you are talking the same kind of money.
... and will take a pretty good hit in fuel economy. :cool:

wrpercival

TDI
2012 Jetta TDi Wagon
AWD is nice to have when conditions go south. Concerned about the system complexity though - added electronic sensors and controllers - and their impact on reliability and maintenance costs after 100K miles.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
AWD is nice to have when conditions go south. Concerned about the system complexity though - added electronic sensors and controllers - and their impact on reliability and maintenance costs after 100K miles.
It's pretty much a Golf R light. For DSG it's still the same 40k service intervals. There's also the needed 4motion services.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
It's pretty much a Golf R light. For DSG it's still the same 40k service intervals. There's also the needed 4motion services.

Given the almost two year buyback 'grace' period...............

.........there would seem to be ample time to search for a 'qualified' JSW replacement.

Where might I find additional "4motion service' information?

all the best,

ez

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Saw an Alltrac at the dealer yesterday, TSI engine DSG $31k +, mileage 30 HWY 24 all around. I'll bet it's closer to 20MPGs all around. Nice looking ,but TDI is the ticket for me.

digerati

TDI
Jetta 2010 Soldback
I test drove an Alltrack SEL last week. Very nice car and fun to drive.

I seriously considered it as a replacement for my TDI. However, there were two issues with it that are forcing me to look at other alternatives. The first is there is no blind spot monitoring available on the Alltrack on any trim level and the second is there appears to be less room in the back seat then in my Jetta.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Saw an Alltrac at the dealer yesterday, TSI engine DSG $31k +, mileage 30 HWY 24 all around. I'll bet it's closer to 20MPGs all around. Nice looking ,but TDI is the ticket for me.
The new 1.8T and 2.0T engines are very good on gas if you don't drive them hard. And the DSG in 6th gear revs 200-300RPM lower than the manual transmission. So a added bump in MPG is likely with that.

...Just today I got ~39mpg round trip to and from H2Oi in my '17 GTI Sport 6mt. Going no more then 5 over and no more then 10 over to pass (kept it around 55-65 for the most part). :cool:

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
The new 1.8T and 2.0T engines are very good on gas if you don't drive them hard. And the DSG in 6th gear revs 200-300RPM lower than the manual transmission. So a added bump in MPG is likely with that.
...Just today I got ~39mpg round trip to and from H2Oi in my '17 GTI Sport 6mt. Going no more then 5 over and no more then 10 over to pass (kept it around 55-65 for the most part). :cool:
That's a welcome development. I always wondered why our DSG held higher rpms at cruise than the 6MT. :confused:
Those are encouraging mpg numbers!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my guess was the DSG had to spin that fluid pump at a decent flow enough at highway speeds.

PFCoppinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
There are a couple on the lot of the dealer I bought my TDI from. They were an SE and an SEL, and the upper level trim was well into the $30s. They both had the giant moonroof.

A guy in the lot mentioned that the 2017 GSW also has AWD, but without some of the bells and whistles on the Alltrack, like the lift and cladding.

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
A guy in the lot mentioned that the 2017 GSW also has AWD, but without some of the bells and whistles on the Alltrack, like the lift and cladding.
I was told it would be a couple of months before the GSW with AWD will be on the lots. I am not clear if it will be the same AWD system as the Alltrack or not.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
The 1.8 tsi is pretty comparable to the 2.5i in the subaru outback.
Advantages for the alltrack:
+25 lbft torque
DSG transmission
Dual exhaust tips

Advantages for the outback 2.5i:
6 speed manual available today
+5hp
+3 mpg city
+2 mpg hwy
+5 gallon fuel tank
2700 lb tow rating

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
The 1.8 tsi is pretty comparable to the 2.5i in the subaru outback.
Advantages for the alltrack:
+25 lbft torque
DSG transmission
Dual exhaust tips
+5hp
+3 mpg city
+2 mpg hwy
+5 gallon fuel tank
2700 lb tow rating
The specs call it an automatic with tiptronic and sport mode. Is it a DSG?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At this point, if I stuck with VW, I would be more likely to purchase a Tiguan. I don't need the AWD and the lift is pretty minor. We're looking for something that is easier to get in and out of.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Show Me a 2.5 with 6 spd, I thought they were all CVT now for those MPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.