service manual 2011 sportwagen TDI

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Hi folks
I have tried to search but not had much luck other than lots of references to the bently manual for the A5 jetta.
What does everyone use as a service manual for the A6 series TDI's?
thanks
Barri

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
You might try www.erwin.vw.com. A couple of months ago, a one-day subscription was $35. I downloaded a bunch of service/repair manuals.in .pdf format.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hi folks
I have tried to search but not had much luck other than lots of references
to the bently manual for the A5 jetta.
What does everyone use as a service manual for the A6 series TDI's?

thanks Barri
I use the Bentley. Not half bad. I'd love to see a factory manual. I tore
down a CJAA TDI engine for possible valve piston contact. I still want to
see OEM manual for details of engine tear down and build up. The Bentley
Manual does give some thumb nail sketch and torques.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I use the Bentley. Not half bad. I'd love to see a factory manual. I tore
down a CJAA TDI engine for possible valve piston contact. I still want to
see OEM manual for details of engine tear down and build up. The Bentley
Manual does give some thumb nail sketch and torques.
Hey,
So you have a Bentley manual for the mk6 tdi? Where did you find one, I thought that they didn't renew the contract with vw or some b.s. like that.

But plus +1 on Erwin. It sounds like a lot, but not really. In that day pass you can download all of the manuals to PDF. It's been invaluable to me on several occasions

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Oh and forgot to mention, it doesn't go into detail on how to perform work perse like the Bentley manual. But has everything stripped down and in depth. Every wire location, purpose, etc.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Thanks I have set up an erWin account and will buy a day pass when i know i have a few hours free to download everything I can :)
cheers
Barri

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Thanks I have set up an erWin account and will buy a day pass when i know i have a few hours free to download everything I can :)
cheers
Barri
I have not done this myself, but I have been told that the best way to do this is to buy the one day pass on a Friday afternoon. This can give you access for the whole weekend. Apparently it doesn't reset until Monday morning. I hope they haven't "fixed" this and prove me wrong.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Buying on a Saturday might just get you 2 days of access also.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Thanks for the tip - I'll try this coming friday!
Does anyone who has downloaded from erWin know if there are multiple small files or just a few bigger files and once the subscription for the day kicks in should one start at the maintenance or service section?
thanks
Barri

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks for the tip - I'll try this coming friday!
Does anyone who has downloaded from erWin know if there are multiple small files or just a few bigger files and once the subscription for the day kicks in should one start at the maintenance or service section?
thanks
Barri
I have not done this myself, but I have been told that the best way to do this is to buy the one day pass on a Friday afternoon. This can give you access for the whole weekend. Apparently it doesn't reset until Monday morning. I hope they haven't "fixed" this and prove me wrong.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Buying on a Saturday might just get you 2 days of access also.
Honestly it only takes about an hour at the max to download all of the files.
If you have adobe PDF installed the quickest way if you don't see a download link, is to print the document and before you print it, in the print screen change your printer to save as PDF

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I downloaded everything I thought might benefit me ('14 JSW TDI) in an afternoon. I logged in the next morning and still had a couple of hours left. IMHO, one day is adequate, unless your Internet connection is incredibly slow. In fact, I subsequently deleted a number of files I had downloaded more than once.

As I understand it, VW used Bentley to publish their official manuals. I remember Bentley manuals for air-cooleds at the parts desk at the dealerships "back in the day."

Sometime in the past, they quit using Bentley and went with Erwin. $35 for a whole bunch of .pdf files is a pretty good deal. I doubt that you could buy paper manuals covering all of that information for $35, delivered to your home. And the Erwin subscription allows access to Technical Service Bulletins up to the date of your download.

Sometimes, progress is actually progress.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey,
So you have a Bentley manual for the mk6 tdi? Where did you find one, I thought that they didn't renew the contract with vw or some b.s. like that.

But plus +1 on Erwin. It sounds like a lot, but not really. In that day pass you can download all of the manuals to PDF. It's been invaluable to me on several occasions Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The price sure has gone up... I recall I paid $60-$70 to the door. This includes the CJAA engine. It will do the 2011 just fine. SHOP AROUND. I only put the Amazon link for illustration.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Jetta-A5-Service-Manual/dp/0837616166

I like it. It has paid for it self over 5 years. Like I said it even had engine tear down... but bear bones... however for MAINTENANCE and a little troubleshooting... good enough.

SEE MY POST BELOW.... The manual is for your 2011

Last edited:

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
You paid $60-70 dollars; Erwin is $35. This is a price increase? How up to date were the TSBs that came with your Bentley?

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
The price sure has gone up... I recall I paid $60-$70 to the door. This includes the CJAA engine. It will do the 2011 just fine. SHOP AROUND. I only put the Amazon link for illustration.

I like it. It has paid for it self over 5 years. Like I said it even had engine tear down... but bear bones... however for MAINTENANCE and a little troubleshooting... good enough.
That's for the mk5. I haven't seen any for the mk6. Please share a link if you found one.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Exactly. The original post was inquiring about manuals for a '14. The one in the Amazon link states it's through 2010. Fine for gmcjetpilot's 2010; less useful for a 2014. The manufacturers do make minor changes from year to year. Plus, Erwin has TSBs which can come in handy if you happen to have a problem covered by one.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
You paid $60-70 dollars; Erwin is $35. This is a price increase? How up to date were the TSBs that came with your Bentley?
You are just so better than me.... na-na na-na boo-boo ... OK what ever. Aren't you suppose to be in the Honda forum....

Exactly. The original post was inquiring about manuals for a '14. The one in the Amazon link states it's through 2010. Fine for gmcjetpilot's 2010; less useful for a 2014. The manufacturers do make minor changes from year to year. Plus, Erwin has TSBs which can come in handy if you happen to have a problem covered by one.
The changes from 2010 and 2011 is nil, negligible and I know it. On top of that the "internet" can fill in blanks, this forum, other forums, youtube...

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
That's for the mk5. I haven't seen any for the mk6. Please share a link if you found one.

No. It clearly says 2010 JSW... Which is what you have 2011 is identical. Second....
It has the CJAA engine in this manual which was introduced in 2009.5 through 2014.
This is what you have.

YOUR WAGON IS A MK5 Golf with MK6 plastic on the front... Trust me this will work just fine...
Again you JSW is based on MK5 Golf not MK6, however MK5 and MK6 are not that different either.
The big difference is the clean diesel, that is the manual I recommend.

As I tell Honda guy.... this manual is great. It will serve you will, augmented with the Internet....
There is this forum, other forums, myturbodiesel, youtube....

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
No. It clearly says 2010 JSW... Which is what you have 2011 is identical. Second....
It has the CJAA engine in this manual which was introduced in 2009.5 through 2014.
This is what you have.

YOUR WAGON IS A MK5 Golf with MK6 plastic on the front... Trust me this will work just fine...
Again you JSW is based on MK5 Golf not MK6, however MK5 and MK6 are not that different either.
The big difference is the clean diesel, that is the manual I recommend.

As I tell Honda guy.... this manual is great. It will serve you will, augmented with the Internet....
There is this forum, other forums, myturbodiesel, youtube....
? I thought the 2010 jsw had the cbea tdi engine, not cjaa.
And to clarify, I don't have a jsw.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
In Jettas (sedan and wagen) the CBEA engine was only used in 2009. 2010+ models all had the CJAA engine. The only exception to this rule that I am aware of is the Audi A3 which kept the CBEA for at least a few years more. (I am unsure if/when Audi switched to the CJAA).

Have Fun!

Don

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Just downloaded about 350Meg of files from erWin - a lot easier than anticipated although it was a bit confusing having to switch between vin search and manual search to get all of the files and the Iwire stuff is very oddly laid out.
But I think I have everything in pdf format in a VW folder. I agree its a good value for $35 although the whole lot of downloading only took about 1.5 hours over a 25 meg/sec connection.
I'll check I have everything again tomorrow but I'm pretty happy about it.
thanks everyone
Cheers
Barri

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI

Nope... my 2010 has CJAA... I should know. I also have the manual; it has the CJAA engine in it... I am telling you, I have the car, engine, chassis, same as your 2011, which is represented in the manual.

Not withstanding that, people are saying the $35 down load rocks? I like having a book I can look at. This manual is thick, has all the wiring, hard bound, great quality, I like it, nuff said.

Read the 107 reviews, 4.5 star. (I feel like I am trying to sell you. Get what you want. I paid $67 to the door and it was worth it. They are not cheap.)

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI

Look the $35 down load sounds like the new thing to do. However you have a bunch of PDF's on a computer, which is fine.

I personally like a hard bound book, and it is high quality bound, nice illustrations and pictures... Read the 107 REVIEWS 4.5 Stars (pros and cons)

It states 2010 JSW, MK6, which is what you have 2011 JSW MK6. To repeat the MK6 JSW is based on MK5 with the CJAA. Bentley knew this.
The manual also has VW tool references and on and on...

I am not trying to sell you. This is not going to have detailed overhaul manual of Engine and Trans (which I'd like to have), but Erwin is likely
not either. It had enough info for me to take engine out and pull head off, do compression check and ALL standard maintenance & troubleshooting.....

Heck I might do ErWin..... I am not selling my Bentley manual, but if I did I see they are $87 to $100 even used. I only paid $67 total.

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
In Jettas (sedan and wagen) the CBEA engine was only used in 2009. 2010+ models all had the CJAA engine. The only exception to this rule that I am aware of is the Audi A3 which kept the CBEA for at least a few years more. (I am unsure if/when Audi switched to the CJAA).

Have Fun!

Don
I did not know. Great info. Thanks Don.
Nope... my 2010 has CJAA... I should know. I also have the manual; it has the CJAA engine in it... I am telling you, I have the car, engine, chassis, same as your 2011, which is represented in the manual.

Not withstanding that, people are saying the $35 down load rocks? I like having a book I can look at. This manual is thick, has all the wiring, hard bound, great quality, I like it, nuff said.

Read the 107 reviews, 4.5 star. (I feel like I am trying to sell you. Get what you want. I paid $67 to the door and it was worth it. They are not cheap.)

I don't have a 2011. Nor a jsw.