Intermittent (but very frequent) problems engaging / disengaging reverse / 1st 02Q

wega3k

TDI
Skoda Octavia VRS PD170
Looking for a bit of help on this one.... My car's got 66k on now. 2008 PD170 TDI with an 02Q 6 speed box. It's had a Neuspeed short shifter on it since 24k. I got an LSD and single mass flywheel / uprated clutch fitted back in March - I guess 5k ago? The guy apparently strengthened the shifter forks at the same time.

In the last week or so I've had a lot of trouble engaging and disengaging reverse, maybe 50% of the time and occasionally also 1st. At times I really didn't think I'd get it into or out of gear. There's never any grinding of gears noises so I don't think it's the clutch not fully disengaging. I've just whipped the air box off and had a look at the gearbox end and both side to side and front to back mechs seem to move smoothly by hand and I can't see anything amiss.

Oh one thing - a couple of weeks ago I went from coilovers to air so have at times had the car way lower than before - I can't think of anything myself but is there any way the extra drop could have affected the gear selection? I haven't got a notch so the rhs half shaft has had the chassis sitting on it when aired out.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'd try again checking our movement by hand with the car in the fully "up" and in the fully "down" position. If you note nay difference, that's probably your culprit. Good luck & keep us informed.