What are all the neat gadgets of a Jetta?

UHF

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 DSG JSW
Just read a couple of post on the windows and using the door key and the anti pinch feature also is great having kids in my back seats. Any other cool tricks on the Jettas? I bought it used and have no documentation.
I do use the fuel vent to fit a lot more fuel in for trips.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Careful, I don't think the rear windows have anti pinch protection. Child safety locks inside the back door. LATCH tethers for carseats, Umm...the seats will probably remove the lint from your clothes?!? that's all I got.

Jason

RiceEater

Veteran Member
TDI
gray 2k2 Jetta GLS
I like how you can punch the volume knob on the double din radio just as hard as you can (Careful, not too hard) you can finish listening to NPR while you gather up your keys, executive lunchbox, etc.

adios240D

TDI
Jetta TDI wgn, 03, refl slvr
- The GLS "Dail-A-Position" sunroof is pretty cool. Set it, and forget.

- The manual front seat adjustment mechanism seemed cheesy at first, but it's capable of achieving a wide range of driving positions to suit the average driver, AND the below and above average drivers as well. It gets an A+ in functional design from me.

- I would have to mention power windows as well. I am moving up in the world. I have power windows for the first time. Previous vehicles were: 1) 82 Corolla Hardtop SR5, last seen with 250,000mi on the clock, and 2) 80 MBZ 240D, currently abandoned on the curb as if it were a salvaged wreck, with 248,000mi. Yeah, my second car was older than my first, go figure.

At least it was a diesel.

OilBurnerBob

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black on black
I like the hood latch. Pull the lever and a little tab pops out from under the hood... pull it to open.

I also like the little sun visor on the overhead console (ahead of the mirror)...

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat
The rear windows do have pinch protection because i had a friend in the back with their hand out of the window and i didn't realize it. I put the window up and heard a yell and when I looked back the window was down. And the back windows were locked so he didn't put them down
Will

saGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Alaska Green ESP [sold] 2012 Chevrolet Volt
Although I appreciate the features already mentioned, I'll add a couple more I like that you may have already noticed... The pockets in the trunk are really handy - and I like the interior lights - being able to make any and all of them door switched, on, or off independantly is nice. But for my money (literally), the best gadget for a Jetta is the MFA trip computer (imported from Europe)...
Walter

PstorJeff

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wagon, Tornado Red
My little favorite is the power outlet in the trunk/rear compartment. Super handy when I need to hook up the air pump to fill bycicle tires.

My next favorite so far is the sunglass holder above the driver's door. Super!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
battery terminal clamps are the coolest around
the fuel filter bracket on the a4's is absolutely brilliant.
I guess you could say the timing belt tensioner is a gadget, and I still don't understand how that thing works (but its probably not a design excusive to the VW)
oil filter housing is cool
and don't forget the mini sunvisor above the rearviewmirror:rolleyes:

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
But for my money (literally), the best gadget for a Jetta is the MFA trip computer (imported from Europe)...
What's an MFA Trip Computer? TIA!

NussWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
I have a golf, but many of these neat gadgets are interchangeable.

For me and my wife, since I'm 6'2" and she's 5'1" the greatest feature(s) are the adjustablility of

1. the seats

2. the steering column

This is the ONLY car we test drove that we could both find a comfortable position...and fast. Only problem is, whenever we swap driving there is a 45 second lull as we adjust our respective seats.

3. Oh, I like the ability to roll down-up all of the windows using the key from the exterior.

4. Pinch-proof rear windows are great..our Golden retriever would be without a nose if it weren't for this feature

5. I love how the hood holds itself up instead of searching for some "prop" rod to do the holding for you.

6. Three words: drive by wire

7. Electrical power in the hatch/trunk

I also have a list of annoying gadgets:
1. All doors auto lock at 5 mph..or so. I would like them to auto un-lock when I turn off the car. I can't count the number of times I've parked, gotten out, gone to one of the rear doors, and then had to use the key-fob to unlock the doors.

2. Stupid cup-holders block the radio controls and display.

3. On-off switch for the factory radio is too sensitive. I end up shutting the radio off about 10% of the time when I'm adjusting the volume because I hit a bump.

4. lint/dog hair collecting seats

5. They put that little center "flip down" sun visor thing in the car, but they don't make regular sun visors big enough to accomplish much of anything when the sun is coming in the side window

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
I believe you can "fix" one of your problems. Using Vag Com, you can program your locks to unlock the locks when you cut the ignition. I think the details are in the OBD Scanner section in one of the threads by MoGolf.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
Cool stuff on my jetta specifically:

Boost gauge.
Sirius Satalite Radio
Silver side markers
MP3 player
CD player
Broken Radar detector
Pinch protection on the sunroof!!!! It's true, I've tried it with my head.
Broken glove box hinge
Broken latch for the armrest- fixed by wet okole armrest cover.
Wet Okole seat covers
Laptop
Tie downs in the trunk
Oh Sh!t handles that retract gently
battery saver features
Me being 5-6" taller than my wife and both of us having the seat set at the same place. Relaxed for her, F1 style for me

For now, that's it!

UHF

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 DSG JSW
When my brother asks why so much $ for a compact car, its the small things that make the Jetta nice besides the engine. Haven’t seen a sunglass holder above the driver window, must be a 03 thing. I love the side pockets in the truck, I've got so much junk in them now.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I guess that the only thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the hydraulically dampened grab handles above the doors. I like the way they slowly retract back to their original position instead of having that "snap" that is found in most other cars.

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
I guess that the only thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the hydraulically dampened grab handles above the doors. I like the way they slowly retract back to their original position instead of having that "snap" that is found in most other cars.
Beat you to it:
Oh Sh!t handles that retract gently

Hey Fred, thanks for giving me back my
guy!!!!

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, at least in the Wagon, is the storage area under the floor that holds all the stuff that used to clutter my trunk. Also, the full size spare is cool.

Jason

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
One thing that hasn't been mentioned, at least in the Wagon, is the storage area under the floor that holds all the stuff that used to clutter my trunk.
Jason
With a little modification I can smuggle my skateboard around in there. My jack and the other bits and pieces that go in the foam are now in my CD changer location, lots more storage now in the spare tire.

-Jack

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

adios240D

TDI
Jetta TDI wgn, 03, refl slvr
[quote All doors auto lock at 5 mph..or so. I would like them to auto un-lock when I turn off the car. I can't count the number of times I've parked, gotten out, gone to one of the rear doors, and then had to use the key-fob to unlock the doors.
]

[/QUOTE]

I share your dilemma. The owners manual states that if the auto-lock feature is enabled, shutting off the engine and removing the key from the ignition should trigger auto-unlock, though it does not state whether ALL doors are suppose to unlock. My Jetta wagon is not doing this

Hmmm, perhaps an excuse to get the dealer to hook up the VAG-COM to change the auto-unlock setting. And while the VAG-COM is still connected I can strike up a conversation about intake maintenance and the EGR re-cal, and get him to reset it for me

Hey, I wouldn't be asking him to do an illegal modification to the emissions, it'd still be in compliance.

Can take him but a minute to do this, right?

03platinumjet

TDI
Jetta 2003 platinum grey
I really like the AS on the radio. If I'm traveling in a strange land I just push that button and it finds the 6 strongest stations and sets them on the 6 preset buttons. I really hate the AS button when Im cruising round home and I hit it by accident and then I gotta reset all the stations again.

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Ibiza Sport 130hp TDI Black
[quote All doors auto lock at 5 mph..or so. I would like them to auto un-lock when I turn off the car. I can't count the number of times I've parked, gotten out, gone to one of the rear doors, and then had to use the key-fob to unlock the doors.
]
I share your dilemma. The owners manual states that if the auto-lock feature is enabled, shutting off the engine and removing the key from the ignition should trigger auto-unlock, though it does not state whether ALL doors are suppose to unlock.

[/QUOTE]

Only the drivers door unlocks when you take out the key. The other doors can be unlocked by pulling the internal handle twice.

I have got into the habit of knocking the central unlock button above the window controls before getting out. This unlocks all doors and the tailgate.

saGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Alaska Green ESP [sold] 2012 Chevrolet Volt
The acronym MFA comes from the original german... This is the same computer, integrated into the instrument cluster, that you can find on a GLX. It gives you three different kinds of fuel mileage (instantaneous and two averages) and two additional trip odometers, plus trip times and average speeds. What I found really interesting though was that watching the mileage on the MFA actually changed my driving style... and seeing those 50+ mpg numbers in real time should certainly be part of everyone's reward for having the wisdom to pick on of the best cars in this country...

Walter

Rosscan

TDI
Jetta 2003 greenish grey
No one has mentioned the purple/blue and red lights at night! Anyways, the best feature is the heated seats for those cold nights and mornings. Also the fact that the back seats fold down flat if done right, real handy if I ever needed to throw something in there or needed to sleep:)