Neat features you wouldn't have noticed...

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
... unless you read the manual, or poke around in the system settings.

- Rear wiper comes on in reverse if front wipers are on. I found this check box in the settings somewhere, otherwise I would have never known it did that.
- There is a storage spot under the floor for the cargo cover (which would be really great if my GSW had one)
- There is an A/C vent in the glove box. For chilling a bottle of water, I assume. The owner's manual just says there is a vent without much suggestion what to use it for.
- If you idle long enough, the fuel consumption readout changes from L/100KM to L/hr. (Because reading 0 is misleading and infinity would freak people out)
- Are there extra corner lights that come on when you put on the signal? It appears that way, but I can't tell for sure.

Anyone else want to add their favourites?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Yes regarding the turn signal lights. Excellent feature. It also lights both of these same ones when also in reverse. At least on mine with the LP. The wiper blades "rotate" I learned of from here recently. The car moves the wiper motor up and then down I believe every other start. Keeps the blade from always being bent one direction.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I haven't checked the manual, but is there a way to turn off the lights on the steering wheel controls? Our old Passat had a button on the side of the wheel.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Also learned in another thread here today that there is a storage drawer under the front seat in some models. Not mine apparently because of the power seats.

And those little slots by the cup holder that I'm sure will eventually get clogged with schmutz are card holders. Could be handy if you need a swipe card or something to get into a parking garage.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Not sure if the head unit is the same, but holding the power and channel round knobs in together for 10 seconds would reset the radio if it was going bonkers on the Mk6.

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
It took about a month before I noticed that , when pulled over to the side window,
the sun visors slide back to block the sunshine. The others likely do this too, this is my first VW so is a nice feature to find. I have always used a piece of cardboard tucked under a visor buddy in my old cars.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
The wipers make tiny shifts when shutting down or starting to force the blade to rest at different angles. I imagine this extends blade life and keeps the blades from developing a "curl" from sitting at one angle for months on end. I don't know the pattern of the shifts because it doesn't happen every time I start or shut off the car. But it's often enough to notice it. At first, I could only hear the shift and wondered what the strange noise was. Then I picked up on what was happening. :cool:

My digital trip odometer "rolls" like a mechanical gauge. It's completely unnecessary, but it's a nice touch. :)

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
QUOTE - There is a storage spot under the floor for the cargo cover (which would be really great if my GSW had one) QUOTE

This is good to know! Was wondering what the "big" 2 inch adjustment of the floor height in the cargo area was all about. Thanks!

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
I love how the centre arm rest can be adjusted for height and can be extended out to support the arm when driving/shifting.

I have noticed sometimes something I can't explain: when I press the start button, sometimes my steering wheel straightens out on its own, but sometimes it does not. When it does not, I still hear the sound it makes, like a short zzzzp noise. Anyone know what that steering wheel adjust is for?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
QUOTE - There is a storage spot under the floor for the cargo cover (which would be really great if my GSW had one) QUOTE

This is good to know! Was wondering what the "big" 2 inch adjustment of the floor height in the cargo area was all about. Thanks!
The storage spot is perfect for a SBR. :D

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I love how the centre arm rest can be adjusted for height and can be extended out to support the arm when driving/shifting.

I have noticed sometimes something I can't explain: when I press the start button, sometimes my steering wheel straightens out on its own, but sometimes it does not. When it does not, I still hear the sound it makes, like a short zzzzp noise. Anyone know what that steering wheel adjust is for?
Is it just some kind of safety check or something like that as its accompanied by a quick flash on of an indicator light in the dash. Don't know:confused:

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I assume it's the steering wheel lock either unlocking or locking. If the wheel rotates a tad that's probably not planned, just result or locking or unlocking.
Back when cars had key type ignition switches on the steering column they also locked and unlocked the steering wheel. Now with keyless ignition the steering wheel lock is electronic.

Thanks for the arm rest info. I knew it adjusted up but didn't know it pulled forward, that's nice.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

It's the electronic steering wheel lock. Mine tends to do it when I actually get into the car (key proximity?). The wheel "straightening" is probably just a bit of tension being released.

Fun "features" if your car battery dies: The door can be unlocked by removing a cover over where you'd expect to find a key hole. It's in the manual; learn it before you need it (I was lucky to have read about it before a dead battery). When the battery is dead, the electronic steering lock cannot release. It had just dumped snow, so my dead Mk7 was blocking-in my other cars that could have jump started it. I could not maneuver my dead car, so my only option was to push it straight into the street, blocking it entirely, so that I could then move a not-dead car into position for a jump start. HAHA! Thankfully, my street is not busy and no one was out driving in the snow yet (our neighborhoods don't get plowed).

I shared some details about the fun and how I think the battery died at https://stealthgti.com/2017/01/12/dead-battery/.

Scott

cokoop

TDI
15 GSW TDI
Something I just noticed. The turn signal has two positions. All the way down or up for regular turn signals that stay off until cancelled and if you just move the stalk a bit down or up, the turn signal blinks 4 times (I think it's 4) and then cancels. So all the way down or up for turns and an interim mode for lane changes. Pretty cool.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Something I just noticed. The turn signal has two positions. All the way down or up for regular turn signals that stay off until cancelled and if you just move the stalk a bit down or up, the turn signal blinks 4 times (I think it's 4) and then cancels. So all the way down or up for turns and an interim mode for lane changes. Pretty cool.
A lot of cars do that. I think it may be a European thing, but now American cars seem to have it as well.

matteas

Veteran Member
TDI
15' tdi GSW
Just noticed the other day that the windshield wipers automatically switch to an intermittent setting from the regular on position when the car comes to a stop.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
Wipers and hood

Don't find out the hard way, like I did, that lifting the windshield wipers from the parked position to wash the windshield can easily hit and scratch the hood.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Yup. First car I've owned in nearly 50 years where you can't stand the wipers up and out of the way... Didn't scratch the hood, however.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yup. First car I've owned in nearly 50 years where you can't stand the wipers up and out of the way... Didn't scratch the hood, however.

Yes they can stand up & out of the way
Did you read your owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
"To lift the wipers on the Golf, you must first park the car, kill the ignition, then hold the wiper stalk on the steering column down for a few moments. This moves the wipers into “service position”—essentially to the top of their stroke against the windshield—at which point you can then hinge them away from the glass."

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
And while we are into things we don't like... Is there a way to make the NAV say the name of the street instead of it's county or RR number? The street name shows on the screen, but announces the number.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I haven't checked the manual, but is there a way to turn off the lights on the steering wheel controls? Our old Passat had a button on the side of the wheel.
Has to be done with a VCDS. But why?
I did a lot of searching until I found out that I had to turn my steering wheel lights on with my VCDS.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Has to be done with a VCDS. But why?...
When driving at night, I sometimes find the lights on the wheel distracting. I thought that it was a great feature on the Passat. I wonder if you can just dial the brightness back using VCDS?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When driving at night, I sometimes find the lights on the wheel distracting. I thought that it was a great feature on the Passat. I wonder if you can just dial the brightness back using VCDS?
They dim with the dimmer for the instrument panel

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
"To lift the wipers on the Golf, you must first park the car, kill the ignition, then hold the wiper stalk on the steering column down for a few moments. This moves the wipers into “service position”—essentially to the top of their stroke against the windshield—at which point you can then hinge them away from the glass."
So handy in a winter storm if you do not want the wipers to freeze to the wind screen. :)