www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 17th, 2012, 13:20   #1
HODEDO51
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46-48
Default File Under: W....for While I'm in there!

98 Jetta 5 speed with 302,000. Currently, I have the engine cradle cross member and both control arms on the workbench, and the engine suspended from the clouds, so as to remove snapped-off control arm stretch bolts....but hey, that's another story. My head tells me......"while you're in there, and everything is wide open....doooooo yourrrrrrrr clutch toooooooooo"
Did I mention 302,000 on the original one? Still fine, as it's noise free and smooth, but did I mention that it's wide open access and it has 302,000? I have never ventured into a transmission, but just about everything else you can think of. Any step by step pictorials on here? Any thoughts on replacement parts?

My 98 is a lot like me.....mechanically sound, but the body is shot!
HODEDO51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 13:28   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

The clutch itself may be fine, but often the first thing that requires the trans to come out is the release bearing, the springs, or the release lever ball pivot. So yeah, I'd go ahead and drop it out, even though you do not need to remove the subframe to R&R the trans. Does make it easier while it is out though.
Old January 17th, 2012, 18:52   #3
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39

I vote for doing the clutch while you have free access. At 302k, that clutch doesn't owe you anything! I just replaced mine at 200k because it was slipping, after a Malone stage II tune.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote