www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:48   #1
MountainTravler

TDI(s): 99 Jetta TDI
Default Who do I file a claim against?

Lets say that I want to file a claim against VW over a problem that I have with my engine. Lets say that all of my tappets were spider cracked, and my cam was destroyed at 100,000 miles. It had better that required maintenance and everything was done to the "T". Who do I file a small claims court claim against? VWoA? the engine plant? a specific branch of the corporation?

I want to file a claim for $3,000 to cover all of my expenses over this issue. I really dont want to get into details, I just hope that someone knows where I file against.

thanks for any help,

R.W.
MountainTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:57   #2
CMB430
Veteran Member

Your legal fees are going to be more than $3,000...might want to make this worth the time.

SOLD at 44K miles: 2009 Jetta TDI, 6M, fog lights, protection package.
CMB430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:03   #3
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

My guess is that you would go after VWoA. you'd be better off talking to a lawyer in person instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet.
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:03   #4
Herm TDI

You have a 1999 Jetta ( an A-4 TDI I assume).
This Timing-Belt ( TB) was scheduled for replacement at 60K miles (manual transmission) or 40K miles (automatic transmission).

Again I'll assume (you did not provide any info in your profile) that you have a 5 sp manual transmission.

This TB was to be replaced at 60k miles. Now 40K miles have passed (since the last TB service) and the engine failed.

Most likely a TB related component failed, tensioner, water pump, idler bearing ect..ect.

At 40K miles I doubt that you could win you case unless you have some sort of documentation to indicate neglect such as failing to replace the TB tensioner or an incorrect replacement part was installed.
I have found ALH water pumps installed in BEW engines (from the factory). But in your situation with 100K miles on the engine you only hope is to prove negligence.

If you have the invoice from the last TB service check the part #s and see what exactly was replaced at this service.
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:04   #5
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

VWoA. The dealer didn't manufacture the car. But then, neither did VWoA, but they are the authorized agents of the ones that did manufacture the car, and are responsible for the warranty.

You can file in small claims, you might even win. But, since you aren't in the same state as VWoA, you will have to file in a federal court, and they don't do small claims stuff.

You might want to find one of those ambulance chasing attorneys who will talk to you about it for free.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:05   #6
Herm TDI

If you are the orignal owner and signed an arbitration clause then forget it ....in the end you'll have to eat it.
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:12   #7
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

The engine is out the warranty period. Does VWoA have *any* obligation to do anything about it?

What oil was used over these 100,000 miles?
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:21   #8
TDIfor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TotalCar 70.5K mile avg: 49.5 MPG

Apples and oranges, but FWIW.... years ago, I bought a new Ford Pinto (well, my father did for me, but it was in my name). This was back in the era of 12 mos., 12,000 mile warranties.

Two pistons cracked at 44K miles. Obsessive about oil changes and all that.. the engine was just out of balance from the get-go and I didnt recognize that - I just drove at 55MPH or slower, and things seemed fine, and who in their right mind drove a Pinto _faster_ than 55 anyway?

So, pistons cracked, had to have the engine rebuilt. Tried to get $$ from Ford, which promptly told me to go to hell. Warranty expired, Good luck and god's speed, and this is what you get for buying a Ford,didn't your daddy larn you better?

You might be better off contacting an advocacy agency.. .maybe Ralph Nader??
TDIfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:38   #9
lkchris
Veteran Member

When your car was under warranty, the claim filing process was obvious and you indeed had a claim.

After warranty's expired, you've got nothing.

You've got even less than nothing if you didn't buy this car new from a dealer at which you then had it regularly serviced.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:39   #10
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

if it is a 99, then won't it be under a 100K mile warranty?
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:28   #11
slapshotjh
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 GLX B4V

Look at some of the previous posts. It was a 1998 Mark 3 with 120,000 miles last time (look around September). 1,000 miles after a timing belt change.....
slapshotjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:33   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I would file against the Tooth Fairy. At least he/she might be more apt to give a darn.
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:41   #13
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Default Y'all think VWoA will offer some "goodwill"...

on a 1998 Jetta TDi A3 with 120k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTravler

All of the tappets went out in my MKIII 99 TDI Jetta. The engine has 110k miles on it.

I know, not good. The cam is destroyed

Anyways.

I am looking at
A valve job
Port and Polish
New tappets
and gaskets.

While I am in there. What cam should I get? I have an Alligator chip... Just installed a VR6 Clutch. Timing is done.

I know nothing about cams... I just drive it on the street. What do I need to get. a new stock cam runs about $480 it seems like.

let me know, or point me in the right direction please..

anything else I should do while all of this is apart?

RW
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:44   #14
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

If this is as a result of THIS:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223648

... then VWoA is out of the picture because the job was done by a "local shop" (presumably not a VW dealer) and in any case the engine is long past warranty.

GOOD LUCK with trying to get anything out of that "local shop". There are too many different ways that a finger could point. My money is on that the timing belt was not done correctly and there was a minor piston-to-valve collision, which shattered the lifter, but there is no realistic way to prove that.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 13:47   #15
SoTxBill
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIfor
Apples and oranges, but FWIW.... years ago, I bought a new Ford Pinto (well, my father did for me, but it was in my name). This was back in the era of 12 mos., 12,000 mile warranties.

Two pistons cracked at 44K miles. Obsessive about oil changes and all that.. the engine was just out of balance from the get-go and I didnt recognize that - I just drove at 55MPH or slower, and things seemed fine, and who in their right mind drove a Pinto _faster_ than 55 anyway?

So, pistons cracked, had to have the engine rebuilt. Tried to get $$ from Ford, which promptly told me to go to hell. Warranty expired, Good luck and god's speed, and this is what you get for buying a Ford,didn't your daddy larn you better?

You might be better off contacting an advocacy agency.. .maybe Ralph Nader??
due to lean burn engines, cracking pistons as common in the 80's.. seems you can run them too lean... as ford and chevy both found out. 85 and 86 were particularly bad years.
Recent study shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population. Its considered bad luck to be superstitious. 98% of all Statistics are made up. According to statistics, every human has one testicle and one large breast. 98% of Lawyers give the rest a bad name. Govt studies have proved that 6 out of 7 dwarfs... are not Happy.
SoTxBill is offline   Reply With Quote