Ride Comfort and Steering Feedback

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I have read through most of the major threads relating to improving the handling of the A4 and so far I haven't found much discussion about the effect on ride comfort and steering feedback from changing the rear lower control arm bushings to the solid Audi TT version. Can someone who has done this provide some comments?

I am intending to replace my shock absorbers with Koni Red's and would like to make any other useful improvements at the same time. Since I drive on a lot of frost heaved and cracked roads I don't want to increase the harshness of the suspension too much.

I am personally more interested in improving the 'road feel' and 'steering feedback' than providing ultimate cornering ability. I have a wagon but have recently driven several Golf's and have the impression that Golf steering is somewhat less foggy than the wagon. I am wondering if this might be related to the greater weight and inertia of the wagon causing additional compression in the LCA bushings and top strut mount.

On the other hand I have also noted that the wagon steering becomes a bit more precise and the car seems to track better when there is a load in the rear. Perhaps the improvement is related to the change in suspension geometry as the rear springs are compressed? If this is the case then perhaps raising the front ride height slightly might be beneficial. I saw a comment somewhere that somebody had improved steering feedback by putting VR6 spacers in the front suspension. Any comments?

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
I have heard that the TT bushings contribute to a harsher ride. They should, however, last longer. I replaced mine with stock bushings and still feel a handling improvement.

I have heard that you might want to consider Koni yellows for better handling yet more comfortable ride. I stuck with larger Bilsteins.

The crazy geometry of these cars might allow for better rear tracking with new FRONT (rear of the control arm) control arm bushings. Also check your rear (rear sway bar) bushings for wear. What do your tires look like? Wear on the inside of the rears or cupping may signal an issue in the rear.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I just had Justin (Oldpoopie) replace the front struts, strut mounts + bushings, and anti sway bar bushings with Monroe Sensatracs and OEM bushings with a coating of moly grease applied. I am going to do the rears as soon as all the parts arrive too with the same setup. So far I can say that steering feel improved noticeably--which is a function of replacing worn anti sway bar bushings I am told.

I am also going to buy a used control arm set and have fresh bushings pressed in and mount those up when I locate some. I am confident that will last the car another 80,000--100,000 miles, as the Monroe's have a lifetime warranty and handle quite nicely--predictive everywhere, confident at the limit, compliant and in control in between fast and slow.

No, it's not a performance suspsension, but I like it.

Wilkins said:
On the other hand I have also noted that the wagon steering becomes a bit more precise and the car seems to track better when there is a load in the rear. Perhaps the improvement is related to the change in suspension geometry as the rear springs are compressed? If this is the case then perhaps raising the front ride height slightly might be beneficial. I saw a comment somewhere that somebody had improved steering feedback by putting VR6 spacers in the front suspension. Any comments?
I have also noticed that these Jetta sedans just ride sooooo much better when there is either:

a. a full load of fuel in the tank; and/or
b. you are carrying your spare

They really seem to feel much more balanced and sure footed when the rears are loaded a bit. W/O any loading, the stock Jetta rides like a buckboard wagon.

As to your other concerns, sounds like your research is heading you in the right direction. I suggest you continue to read all (ALL) that Peter Pyce has written on suspension. Very informative! From what I can tell, yes, the handling does benefit from an increase in ride height and some loading in the rear. Also, if your car is older, it will benefit from a fresh bushing set all around in steering feel and road communication. My steering now 'talks' to me through the wheel.

Last edited:

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
After tons of reading I'm thinking about putting on the Sensatracs. If you read the Monroe website or buy shocks online pretty much anywhere they never mention Sensatrac "II" at least for my vehicle. Are all Monroe Sensatracs that I can buy now Sensatrac II's or do you have a special connection? I've got an 01 Golf GLS TDI if that makes a dif.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Yes I think so. Ask the Sears dealer, but I'm pretty sure almost all applications previously spec'd for Sensatrac have been upgraded to SensatracII. So far they are very OEM like :) I like em. I hope some day to see some road test data on them because my only concern is how they will feel after 30K miles+

At any rate, they have a lifetime warranty for parts, so I'll just put a new set on if they do go bad :)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
I don't know. I have read here that PU bushings are not reccommended for: dogbone mounts, strut and shock mounts. But, I know a few people who use PU bushings for engine mounts. If you could find a softer, more forgiving PU, it might be good for an ASB bushing. Also, if you read around, most folks who have tried PU bushings strongly advise against installing them in the LCA's.

I'm going to put Audi TT OEM rubber bushings in the rear bushing position of my LCA's and stock Jetta Tdi OEM rubber bushings in the front position. The TT bushings are a bit stiffer and people seem to like them. (search the discussion on them.)

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Poly bushings are only "acceptable" where there is only one dimension of movement. So the rear bushing on the front LCA is a definate no-no. As are rear-upper shock mounts.

Front Bushings on the Front LCAs would be the only place I'd put them, and in fact, I do have them on my track car (and that's the ONLY place they are). I wouldn't put them on a car meant for any level of comfort.

gotchatdi

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
my worry is PU will squeak and have a harsh ride disadvantage, advantage would be never replacing them again. Anyone know where I can get a stock set of bushings I can find a few here and there but I was looking for a complete set?

Last edited:

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
nicklockard said:
What about the anti sway bar bushing?
Didn't even think about that one, but it's certainly as close to one dimensional movement as you'll get.

The GTI's swaybar was cut off, so it doesn't need bushings anymore. ;)
But considering how much the stock swaybar squeeks in the summer with rubber bushings... poly might make it even worse.