r32 anti roll bar on a bora

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
have any folk on here fitted one over the stock item. was it worth it ?
i do a do lot of fast b road driving so want to get handling as sweet as possible with having to sell body parts just yet lol

thanks

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
have any folk on here fitted one over the stock item. was it worth it ?
i do a do lot of fast b road driving so want to get handling as sweet as possible with having to sell body parts just yet lol thanks
If you are talking about the front roll bar, it takes more than swapping the roll bar. The R32, like the (later MK 1) Audi TT, uses rods to connect the roll bar to the struts. You can see them in this picture. So, you would need the struts, roll bar and linkage. The TT & R32 also have different lower control arms and hubs. If you swap the entire package - LCA, hubs, struts, etc - then yes, it makes a big difference.

gmo

TDI
If you are talking about the front roll bar, it takes more than swapping the roll bar. The R32, like the (later MK 1) Audi TT, uses rods to connect the roll bar to the struts. You can see them in this picture. So, you would need the struts, roll bar and linkage. The TT & R32 also have different lower control arms and hubs. If you swap the entire package - LCA, hubs, struts, etc - then yes, it makes a big difference.

hmm so much for seller telling it was straight swap lol

i may just go with this
http://www.eibachshop.co.uk/eibach-...-rear-e40850050111_p31222356.htm#.Wj6hTP6UHIU

whats you take on this . i have done springs and shock, next step seem this and a strut brace

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
hmm so much for seller telling it was straight swap lol
i may just go with this
http://www.eibachshop.co.uk/eibach-...-rear-e40850050111_p31222356.htm#.Wj6hTP6UHIU
whats you take on this . i have done springs and shock, next step seem this and a strut brace
if the rear one just bolts to the axle beam, it isn't doing anything if you look at the geometry for a little while

still, a few companies make them, as though that bar will be stiffer than the axle beam itself...

If you really want to go 'there' you'd gain a lot more rigidity by boxing in the beam where it goes across. Just plate in the opening of the C section, couple hours work with the cheapest flux core welder.

gmo

TDI
if the rear one just bolts to the axle beam, it isn't doing anything if you look at the geometry for a little while

still, a few companies make them, as though that bar will be stiffer than the axle beam itself...

If you really want to go 'there' you'd gain a lot more rigidity by boxing in the beam where it goes across. Just plate in the opening of the C section, couple hours work with the cheapest flux core welder.
il probs just go with the front one mate , i thought about thre welding up option but if i dont like it its going to be a chew on to undo

thanks for you input.. im new to vw tdis ... i a bit of ford fan (mk1 focus) but seem to have been bitten by the pd bug :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I recommend doing a heavier front AND the top strut brace. While you're at it, get a rear internal cabin brace as well. The combo really helps stiffen up body flex.
Really want to transform the car? Get a limited slip diff installed.
My $.02

gmo

TDI
I recommend doing a heavier front AND the top strut brace. While you're at it, get a rear internal cabin brace as well. The combo really helps stiffen up body flex.
Really want to transform the car? Get a limited slip diff installed.
My $.02
what diffs do you rate ? it on the to do list next summer when i get the gtb but atm i just cant afford it, start back at at old job end of feb.mid march so be sorted then

i have top strut ready but never thought about a boot one, the roads were i solid handling is a must..
good call .. cheers

would you keep front are rear bars same thickness or go slightly tinny on rear.. ive hread going to stiff on rear can cause snappy lift off over steer.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
what diffs do you rate ? it on the to do list next summer when i get the gtb but atm i just cant afford it, start back at at old job end of feb.mid march so be sorted then

i have top strut ready but never thought about a boot one, the roads were i solid handling is a must..
good call .. cheers

would you keep front are rear bars same thickness or go slightly tinny on rear.. ive hread going to stiff on rear can cause snappy lift off over steer.
I went with the Peloquin. Lifetime warranty and better installation package, plus there's a local installer. I haven't driven any of the others, but I'm very happy with the results. I'm not sure if there's really that much difference between them, the principle is the same.

On the front bar I went from 21mm to 23mm. I do NOT have a rear bar, I did dial up my Koni Reds 25% for a bit of extra dampening.
Personally I think they are unnecessary with stiffer springs and shocks, like you say, they will increase the tendency for snap oversteer. My car is a daily driver, not a track car, I want it predictable. I did increase the rear track width with 20mm wheel spacers, 10mm on the front. That alone, getting both sets of wheels on the same track width, made a big difference to understeer.
A relatively cheap mod that paid big dividends in how the car handled IMO. I also searched long and hard to get a low weight
tire/rim combo, something most people don't pay attention to.

The front top strut brace coupled with the LSD transformed the car
in and out of the corners. With my Golf, that and the rear internal brace, made a BIG difference on the body flex, for $100 for both, it
was some of the best bang for the buck I've spent on improving handling.

I don't recommend lowering the car whatsoever, in fact I lifted mine,
see my sig for details. My take is you want the body to have some travel, but keep the rubber flat on the road. FWIW, I'm very happy
with what I've got, especially on the twisty country roads this neck of the woods. It's a blast in the bends, without being too stiff to be uncomfortable.

Have fun!