Question on VW shift linkage

cage

Top Post Dawg
I have only ever owned manual transmssions yet I have never ground more gears than I have with my Beetle. Is it only me? I know the linkage is pretty clunky on these cars but I have probably ground 3rd about 20 times and 2nd about 5 times in the past 3.5 years. I think I have ground gears more times on this one car than all other cars combined in my entire life. Whats up?

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
We have a 2k2 NB, and yes it's a bit notchy especially when cold. We have to be especially careful when using Reverse first thing in the morning. Other than that, we've had no problems. That said, this 5-speed seems definitely not made for very quick shifting, so we take it easy with it.

We are looking ahead for two possible upgrades: change the manual trans oil, or add a short shifter kit. But we are far from decided. Also, we have yet to try other NB at a dealer to see if ours is any different.

Anyone here know which upgrade(s) would help the shifter work more smoothly?

cage

Top Post Dawg
I have one other question. What would happen if I removed that large counter weight on the linkage at the transmission? Would that make shifting easier or would it cause internal wear on the shift forks?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I'm with TDI Believer on this one.
My third gear used to vibrate loudly in it's first year, until I finally got the regional guy to look at it. All the dealers said that it was 'normal' but couldn't explain why it didn't do this when the car was new. Anyway, once I made a major stink about it the regional guy adjusted the shift linkage, and SURPRISE! Problem solved. Generally, I find the shifting quite satisfying on my NB, with positive action snicking into each gear.

While your problem doesn't sound exactly like mine, it seems to suggest that the shift linkage on the NB's can losen up sometimes. You're under warantee for this.

Good luck.

BeetleGo

[ February 01, 2002, 12:08: Message edited by: BeetleGo ]

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Could you measure the diameter of the tool and post it? I haven't poked around under the shift boot, but I was thinking that just using a drill bit or piece of rod stock would work. Is there enough room in there to fit a drill bit?

-davin

mies

I had my tranny replaced under warrantee, long story, and with this new one shifts are much notchier. I plan on trying to re-adjust this weekend.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
I agree w/ Rich as well; since there are two adjustments that can be made on the cable shifter, a minute adjustment may be all it needs to smooth out your shifts. Don't remove the weight because that will probably make the shift feel too light and notchy. If you put in a short shift kit, it'll still be a little notchy (assuming it's adjusted correctly), but at least the throws are about 30% shorter. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade, if you're leaning that way.

Oh, one other thing on upshifts, especially into second gear, make sure the clutch pedal is FULLY depressed before executing the shift.

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
If this is happenning mostly when the tranny's cold, just slow down a bit and be more deliberate until it warms up. Also, I concur with Norman that upshifts into 2nd require a little extra care with the clutch. These cars have a very long-throw clutch and I sometimes get a little lazy with it and cause a little... oops.

-Mel