Fresh Paint

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Been meaning to put this up for some time. My '98 sat for close to 3 years after I purchased a 2014 Jetta. After the buyback last year, I took some of the funds to get er roadworthy.

Anyway, this is what $750 got me at a local body shop. Took care of a few small dents, not sure I'm a fan of this aftermarket grill - but they couldn't fix the stock one.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looks good from here. I’m sure you can locate a good, used grill.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
grill, is ok if you like it, 50% one way or the other.
nice paint job, smooth, looks good, maybe almost too plain, maybe some pin striping? its just smooth white, whole sections,whole car. nice job tho, then again 750 is a good price for that.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The grille is a replica of the early Vento grille, we never got that grille in the US but many people like it. Maybe if it had been painted it would look better.

It's also very similar to the early Jetta grille from 93-95 but not quite the same.

I would say if it looks decent in person you got good value. In this day and age getting an old car painted is a chore, the body shops in this area don't want to touch it if it's not insurance.

Steve

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
One idea to consider, is to paint the rub strips and the top part of the bumper in black Rhino Liner. Both functional and breaks up the all-white look.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
Steve, thanks for the lesson on the grill. You are correct about finding someone to paint an older vehicle. The first shop I found that would even consider doing it wanted $2000.

Yeah, I need to break up the white. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that Rhino liner idea. I have a hell of a time getting soot off that area when I wash anyway.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Steve, thanks for the lesson on the grill. You are correct about finding someone to paint an older vehicle. The first shop I found that would even consider doing it wanted $2000.

Yeah, I need to break up the white. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that Rhino liner idea. I have a hell of a time getting soot off that area when I wash anyway.
The 93-95 Mk3 cars used textured black side moldings that clipped on to the doors instead of the later type that used the double sided adhesive tape and were a pita to reinstall after they came off. You might be able to locate a set of those, at one time I had a couple sets but IDK where they went.

Steve

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
The 93-95 Mk3 cars used textured black side moldings that clipped on to the doors instead of the later type that used the double sided adhesive tape and were a pita to reinstall after they came off. You might be able to locate a set of those, at one time I had a couple sets but IDK where they went.

Steve
Can you tape the clip-on side moldings on instead of using the clips? I'd like to retrofit the euro black textured side moldings onto my '97 jetta but I can't seem to find any that don't have the clips. There are holes in my doors, presumably for mounting these moldings, but I'm not sure if they will line up with the clips in any meaningful fashion.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’ve used 3M high strength tape on many exterior parts, without issue. Just make sure the parts are clean.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Can you tape the clip-on side moldings on instead of using the clips? I'd like to retrofit the euro black textured side moldings onto my '97 jetta but I can't seem to find any that don't have the clips. There are holes in my doors, presumably for mounting these moldings, but I'm not sure if they will line up with the clips in any meaningful fashion.
No, the side moldings are plastic with hollow back sides. The later 96+ moldings are a chunk of solid vinyl that's attached with the tape.

Actually if you go look at the brochures on a2resource.com you see that the original Mk3 concept was black textured bumper tops and side moldings. The Canadian brochures show the textured trim, that we didn't get.

The holes in your door will work with the clips, VW never changed the door skin, since it was covered with trim it didn't make any difference and it would have meant a production modification to eliminate the holes in mid-series. It also means that doors from newer cars can be used on older ones and with the original type moldings.

Steve