help car will not rev past 1900rpm

kosracing

TDI
2000 jetta canola burner
hi there i just bought someone elses misery its a 2001 tdi golf. the turbo failed the engine ran away. old owner had vw replace turbo, since then it has never been over 1900rpm. He from suggestions from others proceeded to replace the following,new injectors, new injection pump, fuel+air filter, fuel lines timing belt, timing dealer done, (it really gets good now) removed engine rebuilt complete engine new pistons/rings complete new cyl.head block machined. well... after spending all that still only revs to 1900rpm. I went to look at it and bought it for all the new parts but, am kind of curious about what is wrong. i have not got the car home yet but some quick checks i did while looking at the car. hard start cold (maybe glow plugs) engine indeed only revs to 1900rpm (seems likeitsgoverned removed intake hose off intake rpm jumped to 2100rpm... I did feel some boost from hose while reving engine. it almost sounds constipated. Also vw removed exhaust and tryed running with no luck. It shows codes did not have a scan tool handy. also un plugged mass air flow sensor no change and saw no bubbles in return fuel line, is not bad fuel old owner drove 1000kms with this exisiting problem..
:confused:
had a couple ideas;
snow screen plugged
exhaust plugged (dont trust dealers)
waste gate issue
tps problem
has anyone come across something like this before or if you have any ideas please let me know
thanks

pdreyfuss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta
check IQ

Do you have access to a vag-com? I would suggest hooking it up and checking injection quantity. Then you can try adjusting it to see if any effect. (Does also sound to me as if governed.)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I remember Frank06 had a car that had a Bounty brand air filter in the intercooler.

To add to your list:

Did they clean out the build-up in the intake manifold?

Are there any restrictions in the rest of the air system?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
kosracing said:
has anyone come across something like this before or if you have any ideas please let me know
I assume this car comes to you at a super bargain price, so spending a little money on it is not going to come as a shock.

It's already got a lot of new parts in it -- sounds like the dealer tech didn't know what to do so just threw parts at it. Not the most cost-effective way to trouble-shoot a problem.

With the head off for rebuilding, I guess any sign of intake clogging would have been apparent... and remedied if seen.

Just a wild guess, but I'd be looking first for a boost leak or a vacuum leak. All the hoses that were disconnected, it would not be surprising if something was not properly reconnected afterward. Reading the codes will tell you if this is worth investigating.

nighthawk62

Veteran Member
TDI
BANNED
whitedog said:
I remember Frank06 had a car that had a Bounty brand air filter in the intercooler.

To add to your list:

Did they clean out the build-up in the intake manifold?

Are there any restrictions in the rest of the air system?
This sounds quite plausible to me. Completely disassemble the intake system and check for obstructions. It could be a very cheap fix that leaves egg all over the tech's face.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I agree. Vacuum would be the first thing to look at. Timing could be really off too. Stuff left in the intercooler as was mentioned.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
If he took the intake hose off at the intake as was mentioned, it should rev well above 2100 with no load, regardless of boost. It could be the injection timing, although it would have to be REALLY retarded to do this, and when the speed increases the timing would advance, so it wouldn't stop there. Then again, if it were really ADVANCED, it could start hard, and begin to work against itself as RPM and timing increase, but then the problem would get better as it warmed up and the initial start of injection was backed off.

I'm thinking throttle position sensor. If the resistances in each part of the sensor don't match, then the ECM limits RPM as a limp mode. I wasn't sure if these cars would allow a variable limp, since many cars with drive-by-wire throttle pedals will simply default to one RPM regarless of input until the code is reset or repaired. I don't know why it would manifest itself now, but it could be a coincidence.

Use the VAG-COM and check the TPS. That's my $.02

-Rich

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
If by "20 miles south of Santa" means that you live WAAAY up north, is gelled fuel a factor?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I'm going to say MAF because of the revving problem, but my gut says clog or stuck valve.

kosracing

TDI
2000 jetta canola burner
hi again the intake was cleaned out along with the intercooler and egr. I also played with the anti shutter while it was running and it stalled when rotated and ran fine when released. engine once started did run fine afterwards starts great warm. I am going to see if there is a vagcom on ebay to purchase to do more tests. Question.. if the engine runs away is there a governed event that takes place were something has to be reset? car has winter fuel no gelling.was in heated shop. the last owner sayed it was last at vw and they told him they had no idea whats wrong.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
kosracing said:
the last owner sayed it was last at vw and they told him they had no idea whats wrong.
Otherwise they would not have replaced so many parts unnecessarily.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
kosracing said:
hi again the intake was cleaned out along with the intercooler and egr. I also played with the anti shutter while it was running and it stalled when rotated and ran fine when released. engine once started did run fine afterwards starts great warm. I am going to see if there is a vagcom on ebay to purchase to do more tests. Question.. if the engine runs away is there a governed event that takes place were something has to be reset? car has winter fuel no gelling.was in heated shop. the last owner sayed it was last at vw and they told him they had no idea whats wrong.
So are you saying that it's running fine now?

kosracing

TDI
2000 jetta canola burner
no its still not running right, have not recieved since i looked at on sunday, have to wait tell the end of this week (getting bombarded with snow!) im going to then have it towed home. thats when im going to really dig into this problem. I also thought tps have to wait to see what codes are generated. also trying to get my hands on a ross tech scan tool, although i still think this is going to be something stupid and simple..

romuald_inc

TDI
NB 99
HI,
I am having the same problem with my nb '99. The car starts fine, but when reving the engine it wont' go past 2000 rpm. It's smokes alot. I checked the timing with vag-com, was retarted a bit and i ajusted it. When reving the engine i can hear the turbo whistling like crazy. I also checked the IQ, it's beetween 3-4. Unplugged the maf, no change.

I have got no codes thrown by th ecu. I have had this problem for a little while now. This winter the car would not rev went i started it but after warming up it would be alright. now even warmed up will not rev.

I am probably thinking it could be the fuel filter, going to change!!!

need help please!!!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Romuald - you may want to start your own thread on your issue.

If you've got lots of smoke, your fuel filter isn't likely the problem.

It sounds to me like you have an air restriction somewhere. When was the air filter last changed? How bad does your intake mani look?