Red Interior LEDs

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
All I have left is HVAC. Which is going to be an interesting one. It takes a full set of 3 HVAC controls to make 2 colored ones. I'll try to get pictures up on why. Basically the center knob's color comes from the 'fiber optics' in the knob and VW died it green, the other two on the outside are clear.

** Note on the pictures. 1/2 of them were shot when my canon had a busted screen so I couldn't set any of the cool features like ISO & shutter speed. It's also a digital camera and sometimes it does wonky things with colors in low light settings. Every single one of the Reds is a pure red, just like every other red LED you've seen in real life.

Completed June 2006:

I wasn't satisfied with the cluster brightness so I went with the Dan Reed upgrade.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
All the way down:

All the way up:

Then the fun ones:

So bright you can see it with flash (My green ones you could barely see in the darkest of dark).

W/ Red Dome lights on.

All together w/ Dome:

w/o Dome:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Let me know how you handle the heater controls. That's the only thing that's still green in my ECOdiesel.

-Jason

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Thank you VW engineers for smoking the 'non common parts' pipe again.

A few of the incandescent "On" lights burned out on AC. So I decided to go ahead and make them Blue (for some contrast).

I get the AC/Recirc done. I rush out to check it. It looks freaking sweet.

I run back in, do the Defroster one. Go out... it's green. ***. There's a filter on the little area to make it 'yellow' + blue led = green.

So I run back inside. And find out why. On the AC/Recirc space is tight, so they installed a tiny yellow incandescent bulb (or a bulb with a yellow coating) and left the final diffuser clear. On the Defroster, there's 'plenty' of room so they installed a white (uncoated) bulb and then made the diffuser yellow. Thank you engineers for consistency!

On the OEM, everything is a yellow on or off. But *shakes fist* with a blue LED the defroster is green.

I did install Red LED's in the ones I converted to blue (and they look sweet), but that's just a bit of red over kill on my setup :).

I'm going to see if I can get a circuit small enough in there so that it changes color when you turn it on. eg:
During the day You turn on your AC, AC light turns red. Turn it off, nothing is on.
You turn your headlights on. The AC logo is blue, until you turn on your AC, then it's red. But that may be a bit out of my reach for the space I have.

Oh, any other A3-ers interested in such color swaps? I'm going to post a FS at TDI club first before I go forth to the vortex, plus you guys will get a discount :)

Last edited:

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
I have been thinking about doing the same thing.
I really like the red/blue climate control buttons.
I was thinking of doing the cluster blue with The clock and miles LCD in red.
I may be interested in some sort of kit
Looks good

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Oh man that looks sweet! I'm so tired of the worn out puke green. :p I have a B4 though, but I'd be very interested in any kits or parts that would fit the B4.