How many miles on your B5.5 TDi?

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Passed through 170,000 miles the other day. About 35,000 since the Balance Shaft upgrade and running great. Not having too much trouble with my steel glowplug software I got @ VW, but would still like to get an "upgrade." Got a set of Yakima crossbars for toting the bike and canoe, not cheap but sturdy.

Diesel on,

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Mine's up to 125k (miles, 200k km). Runs great also since the BS job about 12k ago. I also had the steel GP upgrade by the dealer and no issues with that. Starting to see some signs of rust though.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
We're now at about 110k miles, approx 20k since the BSM work. And Bill, if you run across this, consider yourself responsible for the RC1+ and tranny recode. :D

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Mine just crossed the 81k point. I had the BS, WP, TB, etc done by Oilhammer at 57k and I am glad I did when I did. Car runs great. I just hope that deming doesn't show up with his RC-1 car and find a way for my wallet to become even lighter...

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
We're now at about 110k miles, approx 20k since the BSM work. And Bill, if you run across this, consider yourself responsible for the RC1+ and tranny recode. :D
Your quite welcome!

clew

TDI
Passat TDI 130PD 4motion
My 04 Passat TDI AVF 4motion is at 160k miles, yet without any major repairs.
Except regular service, the brakes has been completely changed and the upper wishbones (correct?) at the front axle. Otherwise not a problem yet :D

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
Mine is now at 172000km. Still on the original chain balance shaft :eek:. Only out of pocket repairs to date are:
-alternator pulley,
-last year drivers side boot ripped open spewing grease all inside of mag wheel(repacked with grease, 1 year later CV still fine :) )
-that foam blowing out the vents bit fiasco that I reported on this forum in the past

- Damn, I THINK that's it?:cool:

-Oh yes, and rust bubbling around the license plate lights vicinity. I also reported suspicious miniature bubbling inside the trunk leading edge on here a couple of years ago with pics. They still look the same though, haven't gotten worse.

At 172000km, and everything I just mentioned, easily the best darned car I have ever owned and my wife agrees!!!!:cool::cool:

delaware_doug

TDI
Passat B5.5 GLS
I bought my 2005 Passat GLS in March '07 with 47,700 mi and now July '11 have 131,000 mi. Car is black w/ anthracite "real" leather & wood trim, 17" wheels, rear spoiler, plush mats, splash guards. Original owner sold it on eBay to me w/ full documentation, window sticker, service records, all 3 keys, brochure, etc.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I got a 217k mile car just got towed in with the chain tooefed. :eek: Sad thing is, the chain drive was already replaced once before.... this guy is NOT gonna be happy (and once again I get to say "I told ya so", which I hate). :rolleyes:

svenoman

TDI
04 Passat TDI
04 B5 Passat with 104k on the engine. No chain noise and no prior chain drive maintenance. Timing belt and water pump maintenance completed.

Sven

Turbospool

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 White TDI Jetta, 280k, 2003 jetta 270k
Mines at 182k balance shaft replaced , tranny filter/oil flushed, Rocket chip #2, boogies lie a hare, sport mode set. Nicest car for fun driving I've ever had.:D

sprintcar8888

TDI
05 passat tdi
05 passat

I bought my passat 3 years ago out of florida with 17k on it...as of now the post i have 62k....still trying to figure out if i wanna pull it out and go chainless yet what do u think...i know ill be ready for a timming belt and water pump ect soon

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I bought my passat 3 years ago out of florida with 17k on it...as of now the post i have 62k....still trying to figure out if i wanna pull it out and go chainless yet what do u think...i know ill be ready for a timming belt and water pump ect soon
It's never too soon but the time to do it is definitely when the timing belt is being done. It will save $ in labour.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Time to move on

The time has come for me to quit sinking money into my beloved B5.5V. I took my last trip in it today as I limped it home from the shop. Just shy of 330,000 miles.
It needs a new valve body in the transmission (that was replaced only 40K miles ago), new intake manifold, and an orifice tube replaced in the A/C. Total repair quote was $3100.
It's been a sad week for me.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The time has come for me to quit sinking money into my beloved B5.5V. I took my last trip in it today as I limped it home from the shop. Just shy of 330,000 miles.
It needs a new valve body in the transmission (that was replaced only 40K miles ago), new intake manifold, and an orifice tube replaced in the A/C. Total repair quote was $3100.
Convert to a manual transmission... :D

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
We are sneaking up on that mileage, at 307K currently. Really would this thing to run for a few more year.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Nearly up to 290k km now. My eldest son drives it. He lives in Montreal and now tells me he would like us to sell it (it is still in my wife's name) and he'd rather use a car-sharing service. The car is getting very expensive to maintain for the amount of use it gets. Nothing specific, just a lot of old-car stuff, last ones being a seized brake caliper, and a CV joint yet again. Interestingly the transmission still works. I resisted the advice to change the "lifetime" fluid. I believe if something is sealed, disrupting the seals is not a good idea, and it still shifts flawlessly.

So it may be for sale soon, though I may keep it myself one more winter as my winter beater. Interesting tidbit, my gasser Golf TSI gets better fuel consumption than the B5.5 TDI does.

deegingerkid

Beware the Ginger! Vendor
TDI
"Blurple" 2000 New Beetle 5M 2006 Jetta has been SOLD
Boyfriend and I's 05 Wagen that's been sitting for 2 years with a busted automatic has 262k. We'd be well north of 300k now if the (ANY!) trans still worked. Trying to save up the 3500 for a proper 6 speed manual trans for that. Yes, we know a 5 speed is half the price. We want to tow and want the 6 speed. :D Another B5.5 we acquired was just south of 100k when we gave it to his mom.