My Compound Build /// B4v

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
that there is a haze with only 1000 degF proves atomisation or bowl/swirl is poor.. cr engine runs lambda 1.05 with very light haze, over 900 degC egt
After driving around today some more, a haze at absolute most is what I'd call it. After the light tip in puff, I couldn't see anything behind except once when a car with headlights on was behind me. Even then, was just enough to see. She definitely wants more fuel :). I contacted the gentlemen who supplied the nozzles about enlarging them :D.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Yes I agree about the larger nozzles...I'll wear eggs on my face if it doesn't make a difference:D This project has been innovative as is; let's take it up a notch.

Supposedly there is a vendor or board member "KTA" that produced a 14mm head/cam that was of high quality and lasted for the Cummins guys. I'll look into it and see if he still produces, does the cam plate match ours? For all the failures I'm assuming it was because of the cheap Chinese cast?

Last edited:

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Yes I agree about the larger nozzles...I'll wear eggs on my face if it doesn't make a difference:D This project has been innovative as is; let's take it up a notch.

Supposedly there is a vendor or board member "KTA" that produced a 14mm head/cam that was of high quality and lasted for the Cummins guys. I'll look into it and see if he still produces, does the cam plate match ours? For all the failures I'm assuming it was because of the cheap Chinese cast?
From what I've seen, the 4BT cam plate has the same foot print, but the profile is different. I would stick with the VW cam plate.

If you look at most injection pumps there are a bunch of numbers on the side. One of them is the governor speed and since the pump turns at half crank speed, that speed will be half of engine RPM. Typically the 4BT pumps show a governor speed of about 1500 RPM, or 3000 engine RPM. So, as you can imagine it is a little out of the norm to spin them to nearly twice the intended speed. I think that is a major contributor to the pump failures, but obviously if the quality isn't up to par then the failure rate will be higher. So, that said, get the best quality of parts you can and keep an eye on fuel lubricity. Some people like to add a quart of two stroke oil when they fill up which I've never tried, but I would think it would make the pump happier.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Still researching late night right now and there are mixed reviews with the 1st gen dodge crowd 12mm(high rpm) vs. 14mm(low rpm). Doing some rough calculations with different ratios to compare nozzle sizes of what they are using; I'm coming up with an optimal .0144 for us.

Obviously there is a plateau with the single piston pump hence all the P-Pump conversions(not an option for us). We'll find the sweet spot within our scope of capabilities gentlemen; be patient more to come.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
If anyone with more knowledge than me can provide a cc's of fuel vs. RPM's chart that would help us compare and come up with better numbers of how much fuel is needed.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Still 100Nm less as what a 12mm can do... do you know the QA voltage? then we could rougly comapre the duration needed for that fuel

struikie

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d E91
Still 100Nm less as what a 12mm can do... do you know the QA voltage? then we could rougly comapre the duration needed for that fuel
don't know Ruben...
car has been changed to stock to sell it by the way...

yesterday I heard that the head, pump and turbo have been fitted to an engine on a tractor for tractor pulling..
should be doing well over 300hp now...

JW

Last edited:

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it"

Babies, we were all just Babies...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=156119&highlight=12mm

The Aligator 11mm+ pump idea was the ticket back in these days.
From my experience (and Aligator's) regardless of the numerous cam plate/spring combos tried, the best resulting 12mm/14mm pump delivered more fuel down low than the 11mm, and much less fuel past 3000rpm than a properly modded 11mm.
And to think this was all before we had awesome, large, custom nozzles available!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=129572&highlight=12mm

Post #8 in the below thread. Should get ahold of old Ali & find out which cam plate that was to make his 11mm+
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=125125&highlight=11mm

Last edited:

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
I have no doubts that you can make it fit :)

Maybe split the exhaust into dual pipes to keep flow and fit smaller pipes under there? Maybe dual 2.25" or 2.5"....

Whitbread

TDI
Several
well played!:cool::cool:

i need to order some soon!
You better be sitting down when you order it, it's not cheap haha. It's also a bit odd to work with.

Took about 10 hours to re work the down pipe as the sub frame has to lowered each time to get the downpipe and center driveshaft in and out. The downpipe is even more of a pretzel now haha. I'll snap a pic when I take it out to final weld it.

We're emission compliant ;)

Weird to see oval tubing under a tdi. The cat sits a little higher in reality, the clicks in the jack stand are too coarse so it looks low in the pic.

Pickup up a drive pressure particulate filter from JGS Turbo last week also. Should alleviate problems of emp gauge line clogging with sooty water.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
All flow 'fake' Cat? haha

fouckhest

Veteran Member
TDI
.:GTD, .:R32, DangerRanger
You better be sitting down when you order it, it's not cheap haha. It's also a bit odd to work with.
oh yeah, i have priced it out..but at this point...well its just money! :cool:

p.s. - thanks TONS for getting those spacers out! they are out for delivery! :D

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Pickup up a drive pressure particulate filter from JGS Turbo last week also. Should alleviate problems of emp gauge line clogging with sooty water.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/medium/2012-05-09_01_05_15.jpg[/img[/QUOTE]

Hey Matt, do you have a link to this guy? It looks a lot like the particulate filter shown on compD

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Do you have a part number/price on the filter from JGS?

I looked on their website but didn't see anything

I've had problems with sooty water in my EMP setup as well. Not a huge deal, but annoying in the winter until it thaws out.

How do you do compound angles with the oval tubing (such as on the downpipe and over the axle)?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
i'd put round tube in a press before paying those prices!!!!

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Hey Matt, do you have a link to this guy? It looks a lot like the particulate filter shown on compD
It's the same one on compD.

Do you have a part number/price on the filter from JGS?

I looked on their website but didn't see anything

I've had problems with sooty water in my EMP setup as well. Not a huge deal, but annoying in the winter until it thaws out.

How do you do compound angles with the oval tubing (such as on the downpipe and over the axle)?
You just have to call JGS Turbo. It's not on their website yet. $70 shipped.

You can't do compound angles with the oval tubing without making an mitered joint and I refuse to do that. I have to go back to round to get over the sway bar and then back to oval to get under the axle. Little bit of a pain, but it won't hang down real low this way.

i'd put round tube in a press before paying those prices!!!!
I'm a dealer for Vibrant so it wasn't that bad. It was either oval tube or run dual 2.5" pipes to keep the ground clearance reasonable.

Whitbread

TDI
Several
After 12 hours of work, the exhaust is over the rear sway bar :). Another round to oval transition will be here tomorrow morning so I can under the cv joint.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Time to invest in a lift Matt :)

I just swapped a BRM cam on someones lift last night, it was pretty awesome.