trusted Mechanic in vancouver area?

RXF III

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L TDi
hey guys,

coming up to 32K km service (on 2006 jetta tdi, 5 speed, stock). any gurus/trusted mechanics you guys have used in vancouver area (preferably south side of the fraser, but dont not have to be). i phoned couple of dealers they want $400-500 plus taxes. i think you can buy all the filters/oil/etc from the dealers, if some one could give me a list, i could get that stuff first.
by the way, one place also recommended AC flush and power steering check, is that bogus?

thanks in advance

Reg

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
Bogus. Follow the manual.

I personally use Tony at Andes Auto Service.

Hope Fung I use for parts.
http://www.hopefungautoparts.com/

You could come to a Vancouver GTG have some nice people teach you.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=187429

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

British Columbia (Canada)

Andes Auto Service
255 7th Avenue East
Vancouver, BC V5T 1M7
(604) 879-3800
Map

VW Petrolero Vancouver BC
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=10364

JS Performance #5 -
30508 Great Northern Ave
Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2T 6H4
(877) 557-7900
www.jsperformance.ca
Map

Kevin
Kelowna area
(250) 765-3699

Duane's German Autohaus
105-19640 Landmark Way
Langley, BC V3A 7Z5
(604) 533-4502
Map

Last edited:

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
A/C flush @ 32Kms-----> smells rotten to me....(unless you are having isssues with the a/c?)

Power steering check?----> fluid level-leaks-steering components

Actually that P/S check should be part of a routine LOF (Oil change & 15 pt. inspection)

(I worked for a dealership;))

So, Good VW techs.

Personal experience (and coming from a GM tech here)

Of course Jose is the TDI man(former VW certified tech), he is located just off hwy#1 in Abbotsford. www.jsperformance.ca (1-877-557-7900)
(I am pretty sure their service's are warranty approved)

Well worth a trip out there, but if you can't drive out N_J's list has the trusted TDI mechanics:).

RXF III said:
hey guys,

coming up to 32K km service (on 2006 jetta tdi, 5 speed, stock). any gurus/trusted mechanics you guys have used in vancouver area (preferably south side of the fraser, but dont not have to be). i phoned couple of dealers they want $400-500 plus taxes. i think you can buy all the filters/oil/etc from the dealers, if some one could give me a list, i could get that stuff first.
by the way, one place also recommended AC flush and power steering check, is that bogus?

thanks in advance

Reg

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
Andes

Tony at Andes did the timing belt on my '01 TDI and it's been perfect. He knows TDI's very well and is much less than the dealer.

Andes Auto Service
255 7th Avenue East
Vancouver, BC V5T 1M7
(604) 879-3800

In Victoria, I can tell you that Neil at Ellice Automotive is the place to go. My family went there for years and he's always done top-notch VW/Audi work.

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
bmor,

Have a look at N J's post above that lists all the trusted shops in the area Andes would appear to be the closest to you but all do good work. I've not heard anything about any shops on the North Shore.

bluesmoker are you trying to break this fella's budget on this one. Just for giggles I googled N. Shore VW and there are two.

North Shore VW, Highland Park, Ill.

North Shore VW, Beverly MA.

Of course Capilano VW will send him to the poor house just as quick:p

arrowsmithdzlperformance

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Estate TDI
I can do in youre driveway service on the Shore. No messing around with Capillano... They seem to know how to make your CWL (check wallet light) go off magically after you spend money in there.

email me if you want to book a service..

Cheers
Erik

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
Stay the hell as far away from Crapilano as you can or you surely will get what's coming to you. You have been warned.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Vancouverdzlgeek said:
Bad experience by chance? I go there for a laugh sometimes but I generally wouldnt let them touch my car with a ten foot pole.
even then they would probably damage it! ;)

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
Funny you mention that.

Hubby had his old aircooled @ their shop when he was 16 (and didn't know any better)
Needed to get a carb rebuilt, washkid starts it up to move it with a badly leaking carb and it lights on fire........

They didn't take responsibility for the fire (wiring damage etc......)

Dumb@sses :rolleyes:

Vancouverdzlgeek said:
Bad experience by chance?

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
RXF III said:
hey guys,

thanks in advance

Reg
where ya end up going?

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
bluesmoker said:
about half the price of the stealer

http://www.germanmotorcar.com/
I'll be trying them next time I need service, thanks for the recommendation. I just had my car at another shop in the lower mainland that is highly recommended here for a 32K km service + a couple of other things. Checked the oil after I got home and the next morning, not believing my eyes. Sure enough I was able to pull a good litre of oil out with my Pela which brought it down to completely full (first bend in the dipstick above the nurled "ideal" zone). Whoever did the oil change put an extra litre of oil in my motor.

Just got off the phone with them again and the owner of the company said they fill the oil out of four and a half litre containers (after the service writer previously said they filled out of bulk oil) and they couldn't possibly have put too much oil in it. The technician said it was filled "to the line". WHERE DID THE OTHER FRICKIN' LITRE OF OIL COME FROM THEN? The second conversation with the owner became a little heated because I don't appreciate being called a liar and an idiot essentially nor do I appreciate paying all that money to be left with having to suck oil out of my motor so that it is filled to the proper level. A little sure but an extra litre? We mutually agreed to not do business with eachother again essentially because apparently the mechanics there can do no wrong and they're all beyond any acceptance and/or culpability for their mistakes apparently (except the service writer who is the only person displaying customer service skills from my limited experience and the only one who suspected a mistake was made when I described the situation initially. He was willing to make it right somehow, if possible, and was sorry for the problem). Not really a big deal, I have a Pela fortunately but I'm shaking I'm so pissed-off after hearing the owner blather on about whether or not I checked the oil hot or cold, how my tone is aggressive on the phone and if I'm not happy then please don't come back, etc. Utter bull****.

I don't feel at all bad about putting this up because I was a bit miffed about the over-fill but almost lost it when I had to listen to ridiculous, self-rightious responses I got from the owner absolving themselves from any potential wrongdoing whatsoever. I won't name them because they seem to do right by many here and do all kinds of fancy **** with TDIs but I wouldn't go back if it was free. Now I'm left wondering what else may have been done improperly.

Just spoke to Doug at German Motor Car and they're looking forward to my business. Thanks again Blue!

Last edited:

LA@JSPerformance.ca

Vendor , w/Business number
WDM said:
I'll be trying them next time I need service, thanks for the recommendation. I just had my car at another shop in the lower mainland that is highly recommended here for a 32K km service + a couple of other things. Checked the oil after I got home and the next morning, not believing my eyes. Sure enough I was able to pull a good litre of oil out with my Pela which brought it down to completely full (first bend in the dipstick above the nurled "ideal" zone). Whoever did the oil change put an extra litre of oil in my motor.

Just got off the phone with them again and the owner of the company said they fill the oil out of four and a half litre containers (after the service writer previously said they filled out of bulk oil) and they couldn't possibly have put too much oil in it. The technician said it was filled "to the line". WHERE DID THE OTHER FRICKIN' LITRE OF OIL COME FROM THEN? The second conversation with the owner became a little heated because I don't appreciate being called a liar and an idiot essentially nor do I appreciate paying all that money to be left with having to suck oil out of my motor so that it is filled to the proper level. A little sure but an extra litre? We mutually agreed to not do business with eachother again essentially because apparently the mechanics there can do no wrong and they're all beyond any acceptance and/or culpability for their mistakes apparently (except the service writer who is the only person displaying customer service skills from my limited experience and the only one who suspected a mistake was made when I described the situation initially. He was willing to make it right somehow, if possible, and was sorry for the problem). Not really a big deal, I have a Pela fortunately but I'm shaking I'm so pissed-off after hearing the owner blather on about whether or not I checked the oil hot or cold, how my tone is aggressive on the phone and if I'm not happy then please don't come back, etc. Utter bull****.

I don't feel at all bad about putting this up because I was a bit miffed about the over-fill but almost lost it when I had to listen to ridiculous, self-rightious responses I got from the owner absolving themselves from any potential wrongdoing whatsoever. I won't name them because they seem to do right by many here and do all kinds of fancy **** with TDIs but I wouldn't go back if it was free. Now I'm left wondering what else may have been done improperly.

Just spoke to Doug at German Motor Car and they're looking forward to my business. Thanks again Blue!
In light of keeping information accurate, I will identify ourselves as the shop involved in this post.

JS Performance operates around a core set of values: integrity, customer service, and technical excellence.

I was alerted to the concerns listed above by my service advisor and immediately contacted the customer in order to resolve any concerns. Upon receiving a return phone call, the customer was aggressive, rude, and insulting. The customer has not agreed to return the vehicle to resolve any concerns listed. Unfortunately, we can not assist a customer that is unwilling to cooperate with a basic request of returning to our facility.

As a standard policy, all of our technicans use factory specified fluid capacities when performing maintenance services. In particular, this vehicle recieved the same level of service any vehicle that enters our shop would have. I must stand by my technicians, as they are the heart of our business. For there to be a discrepancy in oil level for this vehicle, the technician would have had to intentionally refill his fixed quantity (4.5L) oil dispenser and continue to fill the vehicle.

It is unfortunate you are unhappy with the level of service we have provided, but if you are unwilling to provide us with the opportunity to assist you with your concerns, then you will have to find service elsewhere.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
LOL

This is getting nasty, I think you guys need to sit down over a coffee and work things out.

Personally I have nothing but good things to say about JS. I recommended German Motor Car because they are closer to you.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
I must stand by my technicians, as they are the heart of our business. For there to be a discrepancy in oil level for this vehicle, the technician would have had to intentionally refill his fixed quantity (4.5L) oil dispenser and continue to fill the vehicle.
Which is what you did alright. Perhaps you can imagine my distress when not only is my engine filled with too much oil but the owner of the company insults my intelligence and integrity by suggesting that it's fine but only my fault for checking the oil when it's hot instead of cold. Maybe I'm hallucinating seeing the oil an inch too high on the dipstick?

I called solely to let Ian know about it and ask if it really was a concern. By his reaction I knew it wasn't good and told him I would gladly suck the extra out with my Pela, no biggy. He was ready to make it right somehow. He asked if I wanted Jose to phone me and I said, "It's no problem, what's done is done but if Jose would like to call that's up to him".

It was nothing I wanted to get wound about, or even talk to one of you about again necessarily, until I mistakenly returned your call and spoke with you.

Ian recognized the fact that a mistake could have easily been made and offered the kind of customer service one would like, he's a good man. All you did was pin me as an idiot who can't read a dipstick and deny anyone there did any such thing, even by mistake. That is what turned me into a rude prick. I was impressed with my visit despite the oil issue until I spoke with you. Rest assured you won't have to worry about me or my car.

If one of your mechanics would have to intentionally add extra oil to an engine due to your specified filling "process", then you might want to concern yourself with why those kinds of mistakes are being made instead of my tone of voice on the phone. Just an idea...

SuperChicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
WDM said:
Which is what you did alright. Perhaps you can imagine my distress when not only is my engine filled with too much oil but the owner of the company insults my intelligence and integrity by suggesting that it's fine but only my fault for checking the oil when it's hot instead of cold. Maybe I'm hallucinating seeing the oil an inch too high on the dipstick?

I called solely to let Ian know about it and ask if it really was a concern. By his reaction I knew it wasn't good and told him I would gladly suck the extra out with my Pela, no biggy. He was ready to make it right somehow. He asked if I wanted Jose to phone me and I said, "It's no problem, what's done is done but if Jose would like to call that's up to him".

It was nothing I wanted to get wound about, or even talk to one of you about again necessarily, until I mistakenly returned your call and spoke with you.

Ian recognized the fact that a mistake could have easily been made and offered the kind of customer service one would like, he's a good man. All you did was pin me as an idiot who can't read a dipstick and deny anyone there did any such thing, even by mistake. That is what turned me into a rude prick. I was impressed with my visit despite the oil issue until I spoke with you. Rest assured you won't have to worry about me or my car.

If one of your mechanics would have to intentionally add extra oil to an engine due to your specified filling "process", then you might want to concern yourself with why those kinds of mistakes are being made instead of my tone of voice on the phone. Just an idea...
I'll chime in on this.

I'm not sure if I was misunderstood, but I was strictly emphatic to your concerns regarding your oil level. My responsibility with any customer concerns is to get the vehicle back to the shop immediately to evaluate the issue and find a solution. My motivation to 'make it right' is neither an acknowledgment or concession, purely a recognition of your concern. Without seeing the vehicle, the only information I have to go by is what is provided to me by the technician in terms of oil quantities used, which are measured according to our reusable dispenser. If there's an issue, I would have to see the vehicle myself, which is what I was hoping to have done. Without seeing the vehicle, I was left without any options to help you.

Monkey1

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 03, silver
WDM said:
checking the oil when it's hot instead of cold..
Any car or truck I have owned, was always check the engine when it is cold.. unless there is a seperate marking for Hot checks but I dont think VW has that.

As for your gripe with JSP, I have had nothing but great service from them.. eg I was having a bit of a problem tonight and they were there to help, I dont think you will get that many places. Maybe you just like to complain about service shops as you also had a problem with a VW dealer... Maybe you cant deal with someone giving it to you straight? Your probably more of the type of guy that needs to be fluffed and babied.
Im sure you will work things out.. but you have to give them the opertunity

Last edited:

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
unfortunate people have to publicly bad-mouth; but nonetheless, there's two things i notice:

1. checking the oil in my TDI when engine is cold shows slightly more oil on the dipstick because it has had time to drain back into the pan;

2. not all dipsticks are calibrated correctly. factory tolerances give way to variations in how the "correct oil level" appears on the dipstick. for example, my car shows the oil level about 1/4" above the cross-hatch zone on the dipstick after I put 4.5 liters in there. and i know it's 4.5 liters becuase I change it myself and I believe I can read oil level on the graduated marks on the side of a 5L elf jug.........

hope this provides some possible explanations for the apparent disagreement here.:cool:

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Monkey1 said:
Maybe you just like to complain about service shops as you also had a problem with a VW dealer... Maybe you cant deal with someone giving it to you straight? Your probably more of the type of guy that needs to be fluffed and babied.
Maybe you're the type of guy that likes to stick your nose in and say some ignorant **** to someone you don't know and about an issue you have little background in aside from what you've read. I don't care what anyone else thinks of JSP, they made a small mistake and the only person even remotely willing to entertain the idea they may have was Ian. He gets my respect, the rest of them can suck a bag of dicks, you included jerk-off. This isn't about an oil change anymore but a matter of principal.

As I said, I checked it "warm" (not hot having no time to settle, as if that would make a difference in this case) and cold the next morning. As I told the owner it made not a bloody bit of difference. I don't check oil in any machine unless it's had time to sit and am not as utterly incompetent with machinery as LA and a couple of others have surmised. An extra litre in a 1.9l TDI is an extra litre and is just a little hard to miss.

"Complaining" is my right as a consumer and my complaints are not without reason in any case. Whether I buy a car for $30K+ or pay $500 for some service, if I'm jerked around I'm going to use avenues available and bellow from the highest bell tower if I care to. If you don't like it and have to share your cro magnon assessment of my personality and speculate as to my motivation then you're just a little wise-ass who can't mind his own business aren't cha'?

Hey, may I suggest you drop your pants and attempt to **** some sense into yourself. Maybe I paid $500 for some service, there was a small problem which was dealt with to my satisfaction until I made the mistake of returning the call of the owner. This only to be patronized, have my intelligence and character insulted and not get a "sorry" or "how can we fix you up" before she became argumentative and totally incapable of accepting the fact that perhaps someone made a mistake.

I never would have put a thing on here if LA hadn't treated me like a child, absolutely denied they could have done anything wrong or made a mistake and became arguementative about it. Biggest mistake I made yesterday was returning LA's call but man does it feel good to vent after the fact. Some of the most ridiculous customer service and P.R. I've ever experienced.

I'm not about to drive an hour and a half round trip on an over-filled crankcase so someone can take some oil out when I can do it myself. They couldn't put the right amount in or check a dipstick themselves in the first place evidently so what's the point? If they don't believe me without seeing the car then whatever melts their butter.

Yeah, I'm going to all this trouble just because my oil change was done perfectly and I like to complain about nothing... You couldn't have picked a more fitting forum name.

SuperChicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg TDI
WDM said:
Maybe you're the type of guy that likes to stick your nose in and say some ignorant **** to someone you don't know and about an issue you have little background in aside from what you've read. I don't care what anyone else thinks of JSP, they made a small mistake and the only person even remotely willing to entertain the idea they may have was Ian. He gets my respect, the rest of them can suck a bag of dicks, you included jerk-off. This isn't about an oil change anymore but a matter of principal.

As I said, I checked it "warm" (not hot having no time to settle, as if that would make a difference in this case) and cold the next morning. As I told the owner it made not a bloody bit of difference. I don't check oil in any machine unless it's had time to sit and am not as utterly incompetent with machinery as LA and a couple of others have surmised. An extra litre in a 1.9l TDI is an extra litre and is just a little hard to miss.

"Complaining" is my right as a consumer and my complaints are not without reason in any case. Whether I buy a car for $30K+ or pay $500 for some service, if I'm jerked around I'm going to use avenues available and bellow from the highest bell tower if I care to. If you don't like it and have to share your cro magnon assessment of my personality and speculate as to my motivation then you're just a little wise-ass who can't mind his own business aren't cha'?

Hey, may I suggest you drop your pants and attempt to **** some sense into yourself. Maybe I paid $500 for some service, there was a small problem which was dealt with to my satisfaction until I made the mistake of returning the call of the owner. This only to be patronized, have my intelligence and character insulted and not get a "sorry" or "how can we fix you up" before she became argumentative and totally incapable of accepting the fact that perhaps someone made a mistake.

I never would have put a thing on here if LA hadn't treated me like a child, absolutely denied they could have done anything wrong or made a mistake and became arguementative about it. Biggest mistake I made yesterday was returning LA's call but man does it feel good to vent after the fact. Some of the most ridiculous customer service and P.R. I've ever experienced.

I'm not about to drive an hour and a half round trip on an over-filled crankcase so someone can take some oil out when I can do it myself. They couldn't put the right amount in or check a dipstick themselves in the first place evidently so what's the point? If they don't believe me without seeing the car then whatever melts their butter.

Yeah, I'm going to all this trouble just because my oil change was done perfectly and I like to complain about nothing... You couldn't have picked a more fitting forum name.

I'm not sure why I am receiving kudos when a fellow associate of my workplace is being discredited. I was standing beside LA while she spoke with you on the phone, and her level of service was not unlike mine. Without seeing the vehicle, she can only speculate as to your concerns, such as I had to. The language and conversation from LA's side was far from the attitude that you accused her of carrying towards you. During a phone call, if someone is not civil, I/anyone have/has every right to end the conversation.

Try calling Telus 411 and even grumbling at them, and you'll get a dialtone. Lemons do not go far these days unfortunately.

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
SuperChicken said:
I'm not sure if I was misunderstood, but I was strictly emphatic to your concerns regarding your oil level.

If you are Ian then have I not already acknowledged your service a couple of times already? My appreciation of your service was never in question, this isn't about you in the least. Why do you need to ask?? If LA had handled things in a similar manner we wouldn't be wasting our time in front of a monitor.

SuperChicken said:
My responsibility with any customer concerns is to get the vehicle back to the shop immediately to evaluate the issue and find a solution. My motivation to 'make it right' is neither an acknowledgment or concession, purely a recognition of your concern. Without seeing the vehicle, the only information I have to go by is what is provided to me by the technician in terms of oil quantities used, which are measured according to our reusable dispenser. If there's an issue, I would have to see the vehicle myself, which is what I was hoping to have done. Without seeing the vehicle, I was left without any options to help you.
Granted, understood, impractical and purely irrelevant at this point.

Last edited:

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
SuperChicken said:
I'm not sure why I am receiving kudos when a fellow associate of my workplace is being discredited.
That last post was directed at Monkey so I'm not sure why you're responding with my quote. Not that it really makes a piss pot of difference...

...and her level of service was not unlike mine. Without seeing the vehicle, she can only speculate as to your concerns, such as I had to.
Oh it's pretty frickin' different from my experience. For starters you at least gave me credit for probably being able to read a dipstick. That's a huge start... LOL Subsequent to that you were also able to imagine that in some kind of freak occurrence someone there may have made an error. I was satisfied and was ready to leave it at that but I just had to call your boss back didn't I...

The language and conversation from LA's side was far from the attitude that you accused her of carrying towards you.
Yeah and there wasn't, just couldn't have been, an extra litre of oil in my car either (until you see the car and verify it for yourselves naturally). Of course LA was perfectly cordial throught our brief discussion, you guys are all the greatest and your support of eachother is to be expected.

This is getting quite stupid and enough energy has been wasted so good luck with future oil changes and good-bye.

Last edited:

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
Please, this is immature and wrong .(We are all adults)

I like reading constructive comments on the TDICLUB, and this is ridiculous behavior and material.....

WDM said:
the rest of them can suck a bag of dicks, you included jerk-off.