V12 Maps install on J-series RNS-510 fails

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 2014 Passat, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
So I'm getting killed trying to get the maps to load on my wifes 2014 Passat w/ a J series RNS-510. Got a V12 maps DVD on ebay and it would load about half way thru and fail (tried it many times, same result). Found a procedure to make the DVD into an .iso file and put it on an SD card, even that failed (unable to read the entire DVD). So I got a new DVD from the seller, and this one read all the way thru, made the .iso file, which I then was able to put on a CD and 32gig SD card (starts off w/ a CD and that tells it to use the SD card for the rest of the install), and that failed to load (I think it may be that the older J series 510 won't use anything above an 8gig SD card, and the maps come in at 7.53gig, which in actuality is larger than a Fat32 formatted SD card, which is only 7.39gig usable space). Even tho this DVD reads fine on my desktop computer (where I converted it to the .iso files and loaded onto SD card) I can't even get it started to load on the 510. Anybody out there have any luck loading the new maps on older RND-510's? I'd love to hear about it, and any ideas you have, what works, etc. I'm at wits end, this STUPID SLOW COW of a nav unit is really pissing me off! (and VW too, they put this crap unit in such a nice car and then don't support it AT ALL!)