TDI fest 2019-2020

13blackblack

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Any interest out there? Deiselgate is largely past and maybe it’s time to move on.
I’M in Cincinnati and ready to help. Former PCA member and willing to chair a committee to get things started. Cincy has many attractions including our beloved Reds, Kings Island, great golf opportunities, maybe a drag strip, some great “road tour” opportunities, affordable lodging, great food.$

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Even the pulse is barely measurable. I believe club senior management has also moved on.
For the most part yes.....I am going to a new member meet and greet in a couple weeks BMW Car Club of america....not a lot of Popularity over there for Diesels though....

Gear_Head

TDI
I would...

I’m interested in going to one. Of course it would be much more feasible if there was one scheduled somewhere reasonably close....such as with in the range of a tank full of fuel @ approximately 50 mpg’s! ?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
For the most part yes.....I am going to a new member meet and greet in a couple weeks BMW Car Club of america....not a lot of Popularity over there for Diesels though....

I bought a BMW 3 series convertible last summer to have as a fun car. I'm pretty much done with diesels now that VW screwed the pooch, so to say. My 2014 Passat TDI was nice, but it wasn't much more than an Impala with a diesel engine.

Nothing diesel powered interests me anymore. With diesel @ $0.70/gallon over RUG prices around here, there is little economic sense to own a diesel.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I bought a BMW 3 series convertible last summer to have as a fun car. I'm pretty much done with diesels now that VW screwed the pooch, so to say. My 2014 Passat TDI was nice, but it wasn't much more than an Impala with a diesel engine.
Nothing diesel powered interests me anymore. With diesel @ $0.70/gallon over RUG prices around here, there is little economic sense to own a diesel.
Our E46 Convertible got totaled last fall......I have had my 328D for a year and a half love it! It Gets 41+ MPG Highway and much nicer road car than my Jetta!
Which we still have and my Wife drives it has had all the Fixes....This is one of the last Cars Chris Farnham sold before his passing

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I actually think the member numbers and activity here is on the rise as people buy the dieselgate cars. And we're seeing significant sales increases on parts for '09 and later TDIs. However, I also think the time for get togethers and TDIFests may have passed: I don't think there's the core of enthusiast owners that there was 10-15 years ago.

VW still has a lot of leftover diesels to sell. I drove by our local storage lot yesterday and it doesn't look significantly different than it did a year ago. I suspect that's true all over the country. VW will continue to feed TDIs to dealers, prices will get more favorable, and these cars will probably stick around as good economical transportation for a lot of people. But when they're gone, who knows.

KIMDTDI

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI
I’m new here and just bought a used 2012 Golf TDI as my first car back in August 2018. I’d love to see one of these events to learn more and meet others with a love for the cars.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The only way your going to get one of the events is get a group of people together and organize it....and I just do not see that happening.....

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
X2 what Tom said. The folks who had the know-how and energy to put an event like TDIFest together just got burned out. I haven't even been able to raise any interest in a local lunch outing...

The only way your going to get one of the events is get a group of people together and organize it....and I just do not see that happening.....

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Cincinnati would be nice. It would be nice to see the TDI community more active again, but I can't say I've been around much for a while with how busy life got. It is disappointing to see how much dieselgate knocked the wind out of the community.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Mason Ohio (Cincinnati ) was not my favorite fest....not the worst though

Lexington wasn't bad either. Cincinnati is my home town so I would not object to an excuse for a visit. However, what we really need is not suggestions but people who will do the work to find, book and plan such an event. This is the real problem. I do not know if any of the people who put together the Mason (OH) or Lexington (KY) fests are still around to help or to advise.

Have Fun!

Don

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Sounds interesting.... I'm ready for a rode trip.
Yep, all you need now is three members dedicating a lot of time and energy to find a location and negotiate a contract and then 6 volunteers to help organize, staff and run the event.

Then you could take your road trip! :D

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Personally I think we need to come up with something different other than TDI fests as a fundraiser for the site.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I also have to agree that I don't see how much longer the site can go on like this. My first 10 years here were great and I spend a lot of time than I would admit to.

Very sad time, but I also don't spend much time here anymore, some of that is work and family but some is the lack activity here.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Define lack of activity and what are you looking for that you found in the past but do not find now?
How about starting a thread on steam power? Exploit your passion! [emoji51]
There seems to be a lot of members who have either vanished, or are driving something other than a VW TDI. I need to update my profile to include my Baker Electric [emoji23] (read Fiat 500e)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
How about starting a thread on steam power?
No, it has no relevance here. I post about steam engines on appropriate sites. Why does a guy that drives a fiat even care what we post here? Let alone in a TDI fest thread. There is plenty of daily activity here and many of the original members have since matured and are not looking for alternative cars that they can post here about In all reality within the next 10 years the VW TDI will be a rare bird indeed as they are not and probably will not be produced for sale in NA anymore. Hence the following has shrunk in both age and enthusiasm for a nationwide gathering. As I always say the only constant is change. And the times they are a changing. Enjoy a TDI while you still can.

Last edited:

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
No, it has no relevance here. I post about steam engines on appropriate sites. Why does a guy that drives a fiat even care what we post here? Let alone in a TDI fest thread. There is plenty of daily activity here and many of the original members have since matured and are not looking for alternative cars that they can post here about In all reality within the next 10 years the VW TDI will be a rare bird indeed as they are not and probably will not be produced for sale in NA anymore. Hence the following has shrunk in both age and enthusiasm for a nationwide gathering. As I always say the only constant is change. And the times they are a changing. Enjoy a TDI while you still can.
I still own my VW TDI(s,) and IDI(s,) but they're no longer my daily driver, and are currently registered non-op, maybe until they become classics or antiques. I don't drive the distance I used to, so they don't make sense for local home to work and back commuting.

My bigger point (and why I picked up on your steam locomotive interest,) is because what's missing here that has vanished is the passion this forum once had. Last time I logged in on my computer there were three times as many non-members looking at the site then there were members. A sign of people that have a newly rekindled interest? Or noobs just looking to sell their TDI? I don't know because they're basically invisible.

Frankly the forum has lost the pizzas it once had, and honestly I'd be interested in your passion for steam power, I'm sure it beats what I've seen here lately. If you're not interested in posting about steam in the other discussion section of the forum, fine; what's the name of the site where you talk about steam? Got a link? I'm actually interested in older technology - a lot more so than I would be in driving to a TDI fest. I don't have that kind of time or interest anymore; it all went kind of poof during Dieselgate.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Man,
You're in California and I am in Wisconsin. I am a volunteer at the Mid Continent railway museum. My passion for obsolete tech includes pocket watches and lighthouses, grain threshing and many others but in no way shape or form am I going to introduce that here. I just like my 2014 TDI so I read and post here. I do not know why you dug into the listed interests in my profile. You can PM me if you like but that being said...........well if you want to support this group do it or just remain silent about its destiny. Things change for a reason just like other obsolete technology.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think membership and activity on this site is on the rise, after hitting a post-dieselgate low a couple years ago. The bought back cars are bringing in a lot of new members.

However, the new cars aren't nearly as mod-friendly as the older TDIs. And they're harder to owner maintain because of the need for different tools and technology, and because they're more complex. So a lot of the posts here are more about fuel economy, what's covered under the emissions warranty, common issues with the newer cars, and (still) posts about tunes. Not as exciting as 15 years ago.

But this site is still far, far better than any other auto enthusiast sites I visit. I applaud Fred for keeping this ad-free: just go to a competitor site to see how annoying ads can be.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I think membership and activity on this site is on the rise, after hitting a post-dieselgate low a couple years ago. The bought back cars are bringing in a lot of new members.

However, the new cars aren't nearly as mod-friendly as the older TDIs. And they're harder to owner maintain because of the need for different tools and technology, and because they're more complex. So a lot of the posts here are more about fuel economy, what's covered under the emissions warranty, common issues with the newer cars, and (still) posts about tunes. Not as exciting as 15 years ago.

But this site is still far, far better than any other auto enthusiast sites I visit. I applaud Fred for keeping this ad-free: just go to a competitor site to see how annoying ads can be.
But how long is it going to last with no Fest to raise money.....and no way to raise money except people donations.....I still spend time on the site nearly everyday but don’t post much now....

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
But how long is it going to last with no Fest to raise money.....and no way to raise money except people donations.....I still spend time on the site nearly everyday but don’t post much now....
Just a question....how much money did the previous TDI Fests generate to keep this site ad free? Maybe Fred should charge a let's say 5 dollar membership fee. Still very cheap for the privilege to post and gain knowledge here. I'm sure most of the guests and lurkers here did not attend any fests anyway.