Zerostart Heater nowhere to be found

hvcl

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
If you wanna tackle it early in the morning, I can swing by...I have some to do's in the afternoon then the wife's co. xmas party...PM me if this works

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
coolant heater? nah. my tdi still starts without the glow plugs even working! :D I'll let you know what temperature I have to plug it in at. Anyone have a spare AHU ecu? The glow plug output on mine is screwed.

TyeRant

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Silver
redlinedave said:
How much are they?
How much is what?

Frost Heater for me would be $99 + shipping + duty ?+ broker fees ?= Big bucks for a 1000W! OK deal if you are in the US I guess

Canadian Tire route has been $65 for 1500W zerostart = $7 for 6ft of hose and $14 for two coils. (not sure if the coils will work or not) = $86 so far
See JimBo's install. He has done it probably for less.

PT's unit = $169 I think (used with OEM hose) Much smaller too

Last edited:

redlinedave

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta wagon
TyeRant said:
How much is what?

Frost Heater for me would be $99 + shipping + duty ?+ broker fees ?= Big bucks for a 1000W! OK deal if you are in the US I guess

Canadian Tire route has been $65 for 1500W zerostart = $7 for 6ft of hose and $14 for two coils. (not sure if the coils will work or not) = $86 so far
See JimBo's install. He has done it probably for less.

PT's unit = $169 I think (used with OEM hose) Much smaller too
thanks went to local CT didnt find them in the store
will check agian tommorrow with part # in hand

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I just installed my 8000 series (750w) heater and wanted to say thanks for the info on the check valve removal.some CT stores have snowmobile acessory sections which have these heaters there as well as the auto parts counter.Different stores have old/new stock with 5000 and/or 8000 series heaters in 750-1500w so selection will vary greatly by store.I had a 5000 series heater on my car when I bought it used,The heater was leaking between the plastic cover and housing.Try to find the 8000 series heater as it looks like it will last longer without leaking as it does not depend on plastic to seal coolant.The 750w heater makes enough heat for a 4 cylinder engine so I would say look for it.The 8000 series heater is a bigger than the 5000 series heater so it will be a little tricky to install but can be done.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
That is the 5000 series one and there is not to many them in stock as they have been updated to the 8000 series.

Beerme

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MV Jetta
I installed a 5000 in a beetle and it was snug but it fits and works great, can't speak to the 8000.

With the 5K you don't even need to purchase any coolant hose for a NB ALH.

bad-dog42

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI
Beerme said:
I installed a 5000 in a beetle and it was snug but it fits and works great, can't speak to the 8000.

With the 5K you don't even need to purchase any coolant hose for a NB ALH.
Good point. Given how cold it is outside lately, the easier the install the better. But what about the durability issues people were talking about earlier?

VDubbing

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Galactic Blue
Well I finally got around to installing the heater. Wasnt as big of a deal as i thought it would be. Id looked at it several times and wasnt sure where to mount it. I ended up drilling a hole on the bottom of the battery tray and making the 2 pieces of the bracket into a straight sided horseshoe shape and tucked the heater underneath the battery. I used the hose minus 3 inches of it and only added about 7 inches of hose to the the bottom or inlet of the heater. I will see how well it works tomorrow. Is not all the cold but I will find out how well this works when it get in tomorrow. I will post an update. Thanks to all who posted pics and for Nigel who supplied the heater. You guys all rock!!

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I don't know if anyone answered PounDDer's question about the hose being discontinued...

"Also discontinued is the hose from the 1983 mustang.........."

I got a 1987 Honda Accord 2.0L 12V radiator hose from CT, it works just fine also. Has the 90 degree bend and is long enough. Same product code for a 1990 Dodge Caravan 3.0L and ton of other cars too.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Haven't been able to find one in Ottawa. Tried a few stores. One indicated one in stock, AND on sale ($56), but genius teenager clerk couldn't find it. Moreover - they wouldn't do a raincheck, and they wouldn't order one in specifically for me. They said they'd have more in 2 weeks... went back, had the exact same experience (one showing, can't find it, sorry sir...). Said they'd have some in 2 weeks again... yeah right.

grrr....

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
You should be able to find one at PartSource. Provide the Parts Pro at the counter with either the Canadian Tire product number or the manufacturers part number. If they do not have it in stock, they will order it for you.

fitzski said:
Haven't been able to find one in Ottawa. Tried a few stores. One indicated one in stock, AND on sale ($56), but genius teenager clerk couldn't find it. Moreover - they wouldn't do a raincheck, and they wouldn't order one in specifically for me. They said they'd have more in 2 weeks... went back, had the exact same experience (one showing, can't find it, sorry sir...). Said they'd have some in 2 weeks again... yeah right.

grrr....

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
What are the 1500W units going for retail? I have a brand new one in the box collecting dust in my garage. Was planning on replacing my 1000W unit with it, but the 1000W + my garage works great.

gunnerthesnowman

TDI
2004 diesel jetta
OK , I read this whole tread and I am still confused at which oil cooler coolant hose I am to cut to install my 8000 series ( 1500 watts ) heater that I got from Canadian tire. In this write up he put it inline on the oil cooler lower hose ( closest to the rad )http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/ZEROSTART_SERIES_8000_HEATER_INSTALLATION.pdf

But in this tread the coolant heater is installed it the oil cooler top hose ( closest to the motor )
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=195368&page=3

Which install is right ???

Which coolant line is the oil cooler inlet hose , top one which is closest to the motor OR the lower one which is closest to the Rad. ???

Thanks for any help with this .

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
Although a bit more expensive they do have these on amazon.ca as well. I was looking for one after my coolant heater on my Case 480D blew up.

I went to start it to plow the snow and I noticed coolant everywhere before I got into the machine. Turns out a plastic Y pipe had broke and the coolant heater was burnt out as well. I'm not sure what happened. If the plastic part melted or just cracked and broke.

The heater was left plugged in for 2 weeks and I guess the continuous use was too much for it.

I've ordered this 1500W one now off amazon for $139.14, This time along with a timer.

Zerostart 2204037 Circulation Heater, 5/8"

Zerostart 330-5044 Circulation Engine Heater