www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old August 28th, 2017, 07:16   #3046
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/0J0 View Post
As I drove around Knoxville today, I happened across a few EV charging spots in a parking garage. They were not metered, just a 220 line hanging out in the parking spot. What I want to know is: Where is my free fuel?? Why do people that have bought an EV get to drive around for free and avoid paying road use taxes (by not buying fuel that is taxed per gallon) when the rest of us still pay? And just who is furnishing the electricity for these vehicles in this parking structure? I have a feeling it is the city of Knoxville, which means that it is really the tax paying citizens, such as myself, that are left to foot the bill for others to drive around for free... This doesn't sit well with me especially with the plethora of other issues in which funding would help. Free EV charging does nothing to help the homeless, the opioid epidemic or drug related shootings that happen weekly now.

Sent from my mobile look-at device
Many property owners (hotels, restaurants, shopping malls) install charging infrastructure as a free perk to entice more shoppers to their locations... it's their prerogative. Electricity is so cheap in many cases that may be a better value than some traditional forms of advertising.

You too can enjoy some "free fuel" by buying an EV. Just be aware that you won't be able to skate for free on road taxes like you seem to think - most jurisdictions charge flat annual registration fees (to make up for the loss of gas tax) to EVs and plug-in hybrids that exceed what the equivalent fuel road tax would be on a similar vehicle.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:30   #3047
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
And thanks to Hurricane Harvey and the flooding in Houston/other areas I bet some pickups got flood damage now which may drive up the prices of "dry" used pickups across Texas...

They say some areas may not have power for weeks. Reports also say gas may be in short supply in affected areas and/or no power to run the pumps. Got me to wondering how long does an charge in an EV last since there won't be a way to recharge if power is out long-term? And yes, I know if one doesn't use an EV then obviously there should be some power still available in the battery depending upon usage of the vehicle.
The Gulf coast of Texas is in really rough shape right now... and it's continuing to get worse as Harvey sits mostly stalled out on the coastline.

The areas that won't have power for weeks will also likely be under water for similar periods of time. A lot of the people in those areas have had their cars flooded, so how much fuel is in the tank (or charge in the battery) is irrelevant.

For those folks who aren't flooded and still have no power, gas will likely be as scarce as electricity is, for without electricity, the gas pumps cannot pump. Also, the flooded roads make it difficult or impossible for fuel to get delivered.

Current EVs have a range that ranges from 80 to 300 miles. Teslas will have some parasitic drain (a couple of miles per day) if you don't put them in total shutdown mode (an option on the main control screen), but most other EVs do not. They can stay parked for days or weeks without any appreciable loss of battery power.

Someone somewhere charged a Nissan LEAF off of a gas generator (Honda EU2000) and did the math on how efficient it was. While it's a ridiculously inefficient way to charge an electric car, they still ended up getting 25-30 miles per gallon. Fortunately, most power outages are localized and one usually only has to drive a few miles to find a place with electricity (except for events like the great northeast blackout).
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:32   #3048
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Check with bhtooefr above. He seems to know where they are. Could be they are near a Saks of 5th Avenue or inside a Strarbucks where the Tesla owners shop while charging.
The Y I use has a city lot next to it that has four charging units. In another part of the same development area, there's another six units. We stopped on I-40 in TN and noticed 6-8 Tesla chargers by the welcome center and behind Waffle House. As for sightings, I see at least one Tesla a day. The others are harder to identify. I saw my first EGolf in San Fran a year or so back and the only way I noticed it was the HOV exempt lane stickers. Then I saw it had no tail pipes.
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:37   #3049
kjclow
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
And thanks to Hurricane Harvey and the flooding in Houston/other areas I bet some pickups got flood damage now which may drive up the prices of "dry" used pickups across Texas...

They say some areas may not have power for weeks. Reports also say gas may be in short supply in affected areas and/or no power to run the pumps. Got me to wondering how long does an charge in an EV last since there won't be a way to recharge if power is out long-term? And yes, I know if one doesn't use an EV then obviously there should be some power still available in the battery depending upon usage of the vehicle.
The main issue is that a majority of the fuel refineries are on the Texas Gulf coast. Ripple effect of those being shut down for at least a weeks is already starting. Rug prices went up a dime on Friday. My wife made the comment that if the refineries are shutdown, then it makes a good argument for an electric car. I pointed out that most of that area is without power so your ecar isn't going to help much. Even if you have solar panels, you still need some sunshine to charge the batteries.
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:00   #3050
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
The main issue is that a majority of the fuel refineries are on the Texas Gulf coast. Ripple effect of those being shut down for at least a weeks is already starting. Rug prices went up a dime on Friday. My wife made the comment that if the refineries are shutdown, then it makes a good argument for an electric car. I pointed out that most of that area is without power so your ecar isn't going to help much. Even if you have solar panels, you still need some sunshine to charge the batteries.
I think your wife has a valid observation. Refineries being shut down will cause price increases across the country, while power outages are usually going to be localized. Either way, the people of Houston aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:14   #3051
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Of the 175 or so refineries in the U.S., only a dozen or so are affected by Harvey, and those are just put into idle mode. One issue is getting crude into the refineries as it (mostly) arrives by ocean going tanker. Crude is pipelined in also.

Local fuel supplies are hampered due to the inability of tankers being able to get to terminals to pick up loads and get to retail stations. And with no power, the retail outlets can't pump out.

We are under water here in Houston and will be for a week or so. Plus, the real flooding hasn't started yet as the creeks are rising and the two large flood control reservoirs are just now starting to release 4,000 cubic feet per SECOND out of their dams into the bayou systems (the reservoirs are going over capacity).

There are no Teslas or Leafs running around the streets here (only tall pickup trucks), and not many places to charge them. I wonder what would happen to an electric car if the battery location went under water?

This area is quite a mess, with flooding everywhere, ALL the freeways are under water in many locations. Reports indicate 350 road locations in Harris County are not passable and that number is rising hourly.

We live 20 miles north of Houston proper and its a mess here, but some areas still have power (us, for now).
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:20   #3052
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I wish you all well. Powering or fueling vehicles seems like the least of your worries in the grand scheme of things, but I realize it is essential in the effort to keep people out of harm's way.

I have dealt with flooding around me multiple times over the years. I feel fortunate it has never done any property damage to me personally, but I know lots of people who were not so lucky.
Old August 28th, 2017, 08:53   #3053
El Dobro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Volt
Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

When Sandy hit this area, we didn't get flooded, but we did lose power for a few days. I had a plug-in Prius at the time, so I hooked up a power inverter to it and kept a freezer, refrigerator, sump pump and a few small things running until the power came back.

After the battery was used up, the car would cycle on to recharge it then shut down. It worked out quite well.

If I add an EV to the stable, I'll use it during power shortages as a power wall.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 10:13   #3054
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
There are no Teslas or Leafs running around the streets here (only tall pickup trucks), and not many places to charge them. I wonder what would happen to an electric car if the battery location went under water?
This Tesla made it through a flooded tunnel while other cars where stopped or stalled.

The obvious advantage of electric drive is that it doesn't need air so you can't kill the engine by getting water into the intake which is what stops most cars trying to cross a flooded road (which no one should ever try)

Grid-tied PV systems that can operate off-grid are becoming more common and less expensive. This would be a great resource in the aftermath of a natural disaster.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:24   #3055
kjclow
Veteran Member

It may have made it through, but what a stupid move!
Old August 28th, 2017, 13:35   #3056
Oilerlord
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycat View Post
For all the interest in EVs, they account for less than 1/4 of 1% of the cars on the road. I find that amazing.
I've been discussing this on a Bolt board. I live in an area with very few EVs...less than 1000 in a province with a population of 4 million people.

FY2016, 17.6 millions cars & trucks were sold in the USA. Of those, 159,333 were EVs:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/04/news...016/index.html

http://5vtj648dfk323byvjb7k1e9w.wpen...2016-final.jpg

So, <1% of new cars purchased were EVs.

No doubt this will change when the Model 3 production goes full tilt.

Malone Stage 2 / DSG Flash / Rawtek Exhaust.
Oilerlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 23:00   #3057
bizzle
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
In addition, road use taxes being based on fuel consumption often means that car drivers are disproportionately subsidizing heavy truck traffic. And, in many states, EV drivers are now being held to road use taxes, in the form of a fixed fee added to their annual registration. (In many cases, these taxes are ridiculously high, and are an attempt by pro-fossil fuel lobbyists to deter EV usage, but some tax is fair.)
EV drivers pay for roads the same way most of the country's drivers do...via general taxes like income/sales taxes. In California, "fuel tax" and direct user fees only pay for about 1/5 of the total cost our roads.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 00:44   #3058
2015vwgolfdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: City mid 40s ~ Road mid 50s ~ Two (2) 61 MPG fill ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
EV drivers pay for roads the same way most of the country's drivers do...via general taxes like income/sales taxes. In California, "fuel tax" and direct user fees only pay for about 1/5 of the total cost our roads.

..... and EVs pay how much of the 1/5 th ?
NADA-KBB for older CPO Golf TDi 2014 = $18,250
2015vwgolfdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 01:29   #3059
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
How much of the cost of their emissions are non-EVs paying?
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 03:16   #3060
CraziFuzzy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015vwgolfdiesel View Post
In CA, EV's will pay a considerably higher annual registration fee than gas vehicles (starting in a couple years).
CraziFuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote