www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 27th, 2011, 20:10   #991
Honeydew
Veteran Member

No option for TDI/DSG without sunroof might keep us out of this vehicle, unfortunately.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 20:40   #992
abctdi
Veteran Member

I don't think 18" wheels means a better ride...if so, why not 22"?
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 20:45   #993
Kubla84
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 Audi Q5

went and sat in one the other day, not has comfortable as my 2010 jetta, seat did not feel right, and less headroom
1996 Cadillac fleetwood Brougham
Kubla84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 21:14   #994
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
Maybe I missed something but the Passat does NOT come with the RNS-315...it comes with the RNS-510 if you get the NAV package.
Here are the trims:

S 2.5:

5-speed manual, 16" steel, dual-zone climatronic, multi-function wheel, cloth, Bluetooth, 6 speaker sound mp3/wma, aux-in, automatic headlights, 60/40 folding rear seats

S 2.5 with appearance package:

adds 6-speed auto, 16" alloy, rear armrest storage, illuminated vanity mirrors

SE 2.5:

includes S with appearance package plus: 17" alloy, 5 speed manual, heated exterior mirrors and washer nozzles, trip computer, vinyl seats, touchscreen sound with 8 speakers, 6-disc changer, sd card reader, sirius w/ three months, 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar

SE TDI:

All SE 2.5 plus: TDI engine, electromechanical power steering, 6-speed manual

SE 2.5 with 6-speed automatic transmission

SE TDI with sunroof and DSG

SE 2.5 with 6-speed auto and sunroof

SE V6:
All SE 2.5 plus: 18" alloy, DSG, sunroof, chrome tips, leather wheel, electromechanical power steering, Fender audio, sport seats, fog lights

SE 2.5 with 6-speed auto and navigation (I assume it's the RNS 315)

SE V6 with navigation:

All SE V6 plus: RNS 315 nav with 5" screen, MDI with iPod cable

SE TDI with sunroof and nav:

All SE TDI plus: 18" alloys, RNS 315 nav, MDI with iPod cable, fog lights, chrome side moldings and bumper accents

SEL 2.5:

all SE 2.5 + sunroof/nav plus: 17" alloys with special design, RNS 510 navigation with 6.5" screen and 30GB hard disk, Fender audio, wood interior trim, sport seats, homelink garage opener, ambient lighting front and rear

SEL2 2.5:

All SEL 2.5 plus: leather with suede inserts, KESSY (remote start, push-button start, keyless entry), fog lights, 8-way power front seats with power lumbar and memory for driver's seat, heated exterior mirrors with memory

SEL V6:

All SE V6 with nav and: leather with suede inserts, KESSY (keyless access, push-button start, remote start), RNS 510 nav with 30GB hard disk, 8-way power front seats with power lumbar and memory for driver's seat, heated exterior mirrors with memory, wood interior trim, homelink garage opener, ambient front and rear lighting

SEL TDI:

All SE TDI with sunroof/nav plus: leather with suede inserts, sport seats, 8-way power front seats with power lumbar and memory for driver's seat, heated exterior mirrors with memory, wood interior trim, KESSY (keyless access, push-button start, remote start), RNS 510 navigation with 6.5" screen and 30GB hard disk, Fender audio, wood interior trim, homelink garage opener, ambient front/rear lighting

Last edited by oxford_guy; July 27th, 2011 at 21:24.
oxford_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:32   #995
securityguy
Veteran Member

My bad...thanks OX! SE has the 315 NAV and SEL had the 510. I missed that in the "stuff" that I have
Old July 28th, 2011, 15:26   #996
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

I went and looked at the Passat again and my biggest issues with the SEL TDI are the climate system's weak/noisy fans (and lack of rear vents), and the 18" wheels. Other than that, the car is very comfortable. People who want silence are better off with the gas engine. The diesel is quite a bit louder.

Edit: Climate system not so loud when temp not set to "lo". Try setting it to a regular temperature. It also can move quite a bit of air if one messes with the settings a bit more, although it gets noisy.

The leather seats were more comfortable than the vinyl in the JSW, but the vinyl Passat seats seemed to be equally comfortable when I did the test drives the day before. The Fender audio still didn't impress me, but it's not bad. It seems to be mostly midrange. It doesn't have the clarity and depth of the Dynaudio.

Edit: Leather seats are softer than the vinyl. Fender audio seems to benefit from turning the midrange down quite a bit, setting the treble to flat, and pushing the fader back a bit. It is much better than the stock audio in the gas Golf, but not as "transparent" as the Dynaudio. I did notice, however, some details in a song I know well that I hadn't noticed before.

I wonder if dealers can substitute 17" wheels for SEL buyers? It seems silly to pay extra for the larger wheels and then substitute, though.

Edit: They can, although how good the deal is remains to be seen.

I'm still not happy about mandatory sunroofs. There's a topic that I just saw in the Golf/JSW subforum that shows a shattered sunroof. Sunroofs on some vehicles have leaked. I can't convince the spouse to consider a manual, and I'm not so keen on those anyway because they seem like a lot of extra work to deal with. With my tender lower back and long legs, I don't think one will work out anyway.

Edit: Still unhappy about the mandatory sunroof. I have no use for it and would prefer a vehicle that's quieter, less expensive, less complicated, and which has greater structural integrity.

I do think VW should offer better-looking paint, too. Other car makers offer pearlescent white which is nicer than VW's white. Hyundai, for instance, also has metallic paints that have coarser, more obvious, mica flecks, which I think look more upscale. Hyundai also offers LED interior/exterior lighting (except the headlights) on its Sonata Hybrid which is a bonus because LEDs are more efficient and long-lived, although I was behind a car last night with LED taillights and they're annoying to look at -- piercingly bright. Unfortunately, the Hyundia Sonata Hybrid is not as comfortable as the Passat and isn't as nice to drive. It seems to let in more road noise and its fuel efficiency also isn't very impressive according to some reviews. It does, though, have an outstanding rear climate system that not only has vents for the people in the back, but they're easily directed at each person, powerful, and the intensity can be adjusted. VW could learn a lot by sitting in this vehicle's back seat in hot weather and then sitting in the back of a black Passat with a black interior.

Edit: Plain white paint isn't so bad. The beige leather is very nice, although the combination of beige leather plus wood plus black makes the interior look overly complex/busy. Still, it's not bad. It doesn't seem German to me, though. The clock still seems superfluous and doesn't look upscale.

I did some highway driving this time and was again definitely impressed with the ride. The sport mode is less impressive because it has a negative feeling when slowing down that is pretty much absent from the normal mode. It did accelerate very quickly, though. Tire noise was pronounced, likely because of the 18" wheels/tires.

Last edited by oxford_guy; July 29th, 2011 at 22:23. Reason: another test drive
oxford_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 18:01   #997
Big Red
Veteran Member

It should look a little better too. Ride I agree, jury is out at best.
Old July 30th, 2011, 14:54   #998
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

The red color seems to be pretty nice, although from the photos and videos I've seen it looks a bit bronzed/brownish.
Old July 30th, 2011, 18:26   #999
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Saw my first 2012 Passat today. Its a quiet design, not shouting get behind the wheel NOW and drive me.
But it is smart. Even if VW NA refuse to build the wagon. That's not smart.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:26   #1000
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

The thing is, a crossover counts as a truck for them, and therefore affects their CAFE scores differently.

And, with the Touareg, they need a crossover to boost their truck scores, rather than a Passat Wagon to keep their car scores the same.

The rumors say that there'll be a three-row crossover based on the Amerissat, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:59   #1001
blaz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
The thing is, a crossover counts as a truck for them, and therefore affects their CAFE scores differently.

And, with the Touareg, they need a crossover to boost their truck scores, rather than a Passat Wagon to keep their car scores the same.

The rumors say that there'll be a three-row crossover based on the Amerissat, so...
The 2011 Toureg is getting 7L/100km hwy. The Audi gives you the same thing but bigger with the 3rd seats (and not as good mileage).

Why not just rebrand the Audi if they want 3 rows? And what's an Amerissat?
blaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:28   #1002
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Because the Audi is heavy, as is the Touareg. And, they're both intended to be luxury vehicles with big longitudinal engines.

An Amerissat is the NMS - the 2012+ US/Canada Passat.

A crossover based on it will be a hell of a lot cheaper, and most likely more efficient, than a Touareg or Q7. It won't be as nice, though, either. And, it'll most likely use the same engine lineup as the Passat does, topping out at the 3.6 VR6, with Haldex AWD (just like the Passat used to have optional) instead of the quite good systems used on the Touareg and Q7 - Haldex is good enough for the market that buys these things.

Quote:
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:38   #1003
blaz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 05 Passat

Ah, I see, something between the Tiguan and Touareg. Touguan/Toucan?

Does a Tiguan count as a truck?
What define's a "truck" as far as CAFE is concerned?
blaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:48   #1004
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Think of the Passat versus the Audi A4, really.

The Passat is a bigger, cheaper car, just like this will be a bigger, cheaper truck.

As for the definitions... from the NHTSA:

Quote:
Who classifies vehicles for the purposes of CAFE and how is it done?

Authority to establish vehicle classifications for the purposes of calculating CAFE was delegated to NHTSA. Specifically, the definitions are as follows:

1) Passenger Car – any 4-wheel vehicle not designed for off-road use that is manufactured primarily for use in transporting 10 people or less.

2) Truck – a 4-wheel vehicle which is designed for off-road operation (has 4-wheel drive or is more than 6,000 lbs. GVWR and has physical features consistent with those of a truck); or which is designed to perform at least one of the following functions: (1) transport more than 10 people; (2) provide temporary living quarters; (3) transport property in an open bed; (4) permit greater cargo-carrying capacity than passenger-carrying volume; or (5) can be converted to an open bed vehicle by removal of rear seats to form a flat continuous floor with the use of simple tools.
Technically, IIRC, a carmaker can pick the classification they want... so a Jetta Sportwagen might be able to be classified as a truck. Hmm.

Quote:

Last edited by bhtooefr; August 1st, 2011 at 05:52.
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:55   #1005
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Hmmm...
I think that an Amarok would be classified as a truck. Let's see VW bring that instead of another overly ugly cross over that doesn't really function as either a car or a truck!