Battery Replacement

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Hi Gang,

Had to replace the OEM battery in my '02 Golf last Sunday. It served me well. I expected to have to use the radio code after the new battery was online, but the Monsoon just came back on like nothing ever happened.
No complaint, just thought that was weird. All I lost was my trip data.

DK:D

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've unplugged and replugged my battery multiple times, entirely removed the radio multiple times, and never had to use the code.

I think the code just triggers if it detects a new ecu.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Thanks Puter. That must be it. I see you have an '02 Jetta....did your Monsoon have the usual problem? Mine went while under warranty as did my daughter's '02 Jetta 2.0 gasser.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Monsoon radios went suddenly dead during the first year for the 02's. I recall reading about lots of those on this forum, and then it happened to us. I'm glad it didn't happen to you.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
DK said:
Hi Gang,

Had to replace the OEM battery in my '02 Golf last Sunday. It served me well. I expected to have to use the radio code after the new battery was online, but the Monsoon just came back on like nothing ever happened.
No complaint, just thought that was weird. All I lost was my trip data.

DK:D
__. Deek, the trip data will drop out on my car (and similarly on my '02 Jetta, RIP) and also I have to manually run the windows up and down a few times to reset the "auto up/down" feature. Otherwise, all is OK.

__. These batteries really respond well to maintenance, too. About once a year, clean the top of the battery and the posts/clamps. Then, pull the caps and refill with distilled water.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
puter said:
I've unplugged and replugged my battery multiple times, entirely removed the radio multiple times, and never had to use the code.

I think the code just triggers if it detects a new ecu.
The owner's manual explains this well. Somewhere around the 2000 model year you no longer need the radio code (but should still keep it) as long as the radio is installed in the car it came from the factory with when the battery is disconnected. The radio code WILL be needed if the radio is later installed in a different car whenever the battery is disconnected. The radio now has circuitry to "recognize" the car it was originally matched to and will not go into "safe mode" when it is disconnected (power disruptions occurr). If installed in another car, it will go into safe mode without power applied.

--Nate

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
mrGutWrench said:
__. Deek, the trip data will drop out on my car (and similarly on my '02 Jetta, RIP) and also I have to manually run the windows up and down a few times to reset the "auto up/down" feature. Otherwise, all is OK.

__. These batteries really respond well to maintenance, too. About once a year, clean the top of the battery and the posts/clamps. Then, pull the caps and refill with distilled water.

Ah, I haven't tried the windows yet, it's been a bit nippy here. Now that you say this, I'll try the windows on the way to work this afternoon. Thanks, Gut