making my own

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
what with fuel prices gone through the roof, I am thinking of making my own now. I got about 150 litres of very clean waste oil today.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
TDIFred said:
what with fuel prices gone through the roof, I am thinking of making my own now. I got about 150 litres of very clean waste oil today.

I somehow think this will be an ever escalating passtime for many, until the Ministry of Finance comes a'knocking for back road taxes.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
Fred if you want some help building it - i'll give ya a hand. havnt actually built one before but would be interested in learning

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rotarykid said:
Go to Journey to Forever and all the info you need is there to make your own garage refinery .

I am there now,my new home page.

Omega_Renegade said:
Fred if you want some help building it - i'll give ya a hand. havnt actually built one before but would be interested in learning.
I may take you up on that yet!

no tdi yet

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi Auto :-(
I've tried making a couple test batches but they haven't worked out yet. The first turned out cloudy, second gelled on me and now I just did a third the other day and it is cloudy as well. :-(

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
TDIFred said:
a good point.I will grow hemp instead maybe! ;)
Can't do that either without governent permission. Or else they will throw you in jail for marijuana cultivation. No joke either LoL

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I would suggest you check out biodiesel.infopop.cc as opposed to Journey to Forever, as there are some well know errors on that site.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dave_D said:
I would suggest you check out biodiesel.infopop.cc as opposed to Journey to Forever, as there are some well know errors on that site.
thanks Dave. I will do that.

Terrific-In-Tahoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 ALH Jetta M5 / 05 BEW Jetta Wagon A4
Ontario Home Brew - Road Taxes

I somehow think this will be an ever escalating passtime for many, until the Ministry of Finance comes a'knocking for back road taxes.
How on earth would they(Ont. Min of Rev) know how much to tax you at?

IF you conserve fuel and get down to 3 or 2 L of product per 100 km travelled, and your vehicle normally was getting 5.5 Would they tax you at being more efficient with your own previously taxed diesel fuel. LOL:mad:

If you are supplementing your D2 consumption by brewing your own, and blending a B50 or even a B20, Would they tax you on the 20% that is a Waste product, that now makes the cost of your D2 a 22% Surcharge? to compensate? Hmmm. Somehow they need to measure how much you made.

Now, IF they (any government) said you no longer can Home brew, But MUST have inspectable equipment, then the revenue department will have a tea party revolt, because as everyone knows, there is no representation by a consumption tax.

However, as long as small batches are made, and there is no 'organized' association that re-sells the product, the only thing left is what is the by-product of the bio-diesel trans-estrification process.

The only thing is if you are evading any law. IF there are no laws that prohibit the home brew of Bio-Diesel from Waste product, then there is nothing that the (Ont. Min of Revenue.) Can say about your own home brew.

IF you apply for a vendor's permit to sell Bio-Diesel, but fail to account for production losses (stuff that evaporates, and cannot be sold or is a component of the waste byproduct) then they have a case. If its your own sourced oil it wouls be so insignificant, that the $200 Billion that they collect in Fuel Taxes from D2, JP, Av Gas, and Other On-Road uses, would trump the amount that could potentially be collected from U-Brew homesteaders.

Across Ontario, How many would participate in the U-Brew Craft? 5-7 Thousand users. Drop in the proverbial bucket compared to the amount of D2 sold in ON per Year.

Besides , Bio Diesel is a cleaner fuel than D2, they would look like laughing stocks to the rest of the world for taxing such a clean fuel.

However, in April 2014, the exemption comes of Bio Diesel made by Producers and Importers.
See this webpage for details:
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2013/ch4.html

Renewable Fuels and Elimination of Biodiesel Exemption

The government is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Ontario. In 2002, biodiesel was made exempt from the 14.3 cent per litre fuel tax under the Fuel Tax Act to encourage its use in Ontario. The federal government's renewable-content requirements in respect of diesel fuel came into effect on July 1, 2011. As a result, Ontario's fuel tax exemption for biodiesel no longer serves its purpose.
Ontario will take steps to update its green transportation-fuels policies by proposing to:

• repeal the fuel tax exemption for biodiesel effective April 1, 2014; and
  • consult with stakeholders on a provincial mandate for greener diesel fuels, including discussions related to the amount of renewable fuel content as well as greenhouse gas requirements.
By supporting innovation and leveraging high-tech investment in the province, Ontario is supporting the next generation of bioproduct development and further industry investments in Ontario's growing bioeconomy.

-R

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Well, if they are going to start doing that with bio, how soon before they adjust your smartmeter if you have an electric car....since they are beginning to pop up.

Some of their actions will only drive the bio people underground undoubtedly.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow, this is an OLD post. it WAS for the 01. I have since given up on the adventure. The place up by Hillsburgh (fuel co-op) seems like a better bet for reliable biodiesel. if they're still in business once the exemption is eliminated.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited: