Idiot German Engineers

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I just finished changing my NB drivers side headlight. It only took me 4 hours. My knuckles are bloody, but I didn't have to take it to the dealer. The hardest part was getting the light assembly back in. It just would go, but finally it popped back in. What a PITA.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Like the title. I have said that more than once. Overcomplicate the simplest things for no reason. I also have it on good authority that the interior was designed by a woman. A lighted vanity mirror on the drivers side ?? Dead giveaway.

thermopylaetech

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Variant TDi/PD
The NB/Golf/Jetta HL situation is a cruel joke.

Seems the simplest answer is to take the bumpershell off and just pull the lamp as a unit.

otbBlaine

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
thermopylaetech said:
The NB/Golf/Jetta HL situation is a cruel joke.

Seems the simplest answer is to take the bumpershell off and just pull the lamp as a unit.
bingo; 10 minutes tops to pull the lights.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Not that hard on the Golf. I just study the passenger-side light assembly very closely before starting on the driver's side.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Hmmm Is my 98 NB so different? Two minutes and it's in and out.

The headlight assembly that is. Get your mind out of the gutter.

rlandrum

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
whitedog said:
Hmmm Is my 98 NB so different? Two minutes and it's in and out.

The headlight assembly that is. Get your mind out of the gutter.
You must have tiny hands.

I've spent an hour changing headlights in the golf. I nearly destroyed that little metal spring clip that holds the bulb in place after fighting with it because it wouldn't unhook from one side.

The bad part is that because they run all the time, they burn out twice as fast. I've replaced 3 bulbs in 20 months of ownership (40000 miles worth).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The only time I have had a problem is when someone else (usually the owner) has "tried" to get the assembly loose and has mangled everything all up.

On the "virgin" headlights I have not much trouble, but lubing the slots and rings up will help. Also disabling the damn DRLs (which were never intended to be in place by those zany Germans) will greatly reduce bulb change frequency.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
rlandrum said:
You must have tiny hands.

I've spent an hour changing headlights in the golf. I nearly destroyed that little metal spring clip that holds the bulb in place after fighting with it because it wouldn't unhook from one side.

The bad part is that because they run all the time, they burn out twice as fast. I've replaced 3 bulbs in 20 months of ownership (40000 miles worth).
I'm talking New Beetle here...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I've changed a driver's side headlight bulb on my niece's NB. It was like a 5 minute job.

1. Push down (maybe up- don't recall) the black release arm.
  2. slide the assembly out far enough to disconnect wire harness.
  3. remove old bulb.
  4. install new bulb
  5. connect wire harness
  6. line up the rails on the headlight assy to slots in receptacle.
  7. slide the assy in
  8. pull up (or push down) the release arm to lock it in place
I may have removed the battery cover too.
I didn't have a book or anything- it was very intuitive when you look at it. I think this design was rather elegant on the engineer's part. :confused:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
rlandrum said:
Instructions for making them run only when you switch them on are found in the "how to" sticky at the top of the 101 board.

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
My DRL's are on and I have replaced the lights twice since May 2002. I just changed them the 2nd time in Feb this year...

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
German engineers are idiots - the ****ing 4 speed automatic transmission is proof all by itself. Whoever heard of designing a transmission to last "only" 100,000 miles ?

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
tditom said:
I've changed a driver's side headlight bulb on my niece's NB. It was like a 5 minute job.
  3. remove old bulb.
  4. install new bulb
  5. connect wire harness
  7. slide the assy in
I didn't have a book or anything- it was very intuitive when you look at it. I think this design was rather elegant on the engineer's part. :confused:
x2. The lights on the beetle are the easiest to change of all the A4 platform vehicles. I have heard stories of people trying to change the bulb though without removing the lights, that's gotta suck.

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
scooperhsd said:
German engineers are idiots - the ****ing 4 speed automatic transmission is proof all by itself. Whoever heard of designing a transmission to last "only" 100,000 miles ?
Hmm, Dodge... or any of the other American car makers.

I think an auto-tranny is an after thought for germans. if you goto the EU 98% of the cars that I saw there were manuals.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
I thought about taking out the battery, but the fuze box on top of the battery was in the way. Need to figure out how to remove it.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
dabear95 said:
My DRL's are on and I have replaced the lights twice since May 2002. I just changed them the 2nd time in Feb this year...
Since Nov 2001 (140,000 miles), I've changed my headlights a grand total of twice - once at bout 30K when one burned out, and the second was last year at 115K, and that was only because I installed E-Codes and the original bulbs didn't fit. I never disabled my DRLs (still have them enabled even now). When I pulled my NA spec lights, both headlight bulbs were still fully functional.

Heck, I'm nearing a whole year (25-30K miles) on the Sylvania Silverstars I put in my E-codes.

I wonder if the earlier burnouts are due to on-off cycles stressing the filaments? Most days, mine go on for an hour when I go to work, and then on for an hour when I go home.

Rob

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Dr

oilhammer said:
The only time I have had a problem is when someone else (usually the owner) has "tried" to get the assembly loose and has mangled everything all up.

On the "virgin" headlights I have not much trouble, but lubing the slots and rings up will help. Also disabling the damn DRLs (which were never intended to be in place by those zany Germans) will greatly reduce bulb change frequency.
Is WD40 recommended? The job woud be impossible in sub zero (F) weather.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
d2305: I use silicone spray on my NB. The first time it took me about an hour to figure out how to hold my tongue. Now its a 15-minute task.

I dont blame the engineers - they came up with a good solution considering the NB is design-driven. The engineers had to cram a whole car into an NB shell. NOT an easy task. It may have made more sense to keep the orig. rear-engine design (rear-engine TDI? Hmmm.. thing would be a goat!)

And if it hasnt been noticed, the majority of NB drivers ARE women. My double-yellow NB is a babe-magnet. Now that I have one, Im married. Even have a Golden Retriever mix. The GR in the NB, and Im beating women away.... vell.... too soon old und too late schmart...

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
rlandrum said:
Get a Euro switch, cut the 'tfl' pin, and BINGO no daylight headlights. It's one of the first things I did when I got the car. When I turn my headlights off, I want them off..period!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you don't even need a euroswitch to disable the DRL's. Just find the "TFL" pin on the OE switch connector and cover it with tape.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
tditom said:
  3. remove old bulb.
  4. install new bulb
  5. connect wire harness
  7. slide the assy in
I miss the important step before 1: PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON (the cross-hatched square thingy) with a pen or screwdriver to unlock the handle.

Always wiggle/pull/push on the headlight assembly while you move the lever to reduce strain on the locking ring.

If you want to lube the tracks, use something that does not glue grit and dirt into the tracks. Use Silicone lube or even WD40 (not really a lube) to keep the tracks clean.

The good thing is that, even if you totally mess up and break the locking ring into pieces, it is available as a separate part, easily replaceable and costs under $30.

Removing the headlight in the NB takes 2 Minutes tops, once you figured out how it works.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
tditom said:
you don't even need a euroswitch to disable the DRL's. Just find the "TFL" pin on the OE switch connector and cover it with tape.
I never thought to look at the OE switch. I changed the headlights as soon as I got the car.

I thought of covering it up, as you suggested, but since I never intended it to be used again, I used a set of needle dikes and cut it at the base of the switch.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah, the only reason I covered mine with tape instead of cutting it off was in case I wanted to switch it back in the event of putting the car up for sale.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cattlerepairman said:
I miss the important step before 1: PRESS THE LOCK BUTTON (the cross-hatched square thingy) with a pen or screwdriver to unlock the handle. ....
hmmm- don't remember doing this. Maybe i got lucky and did pushed it in by mistake?:eek:

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
scooperhsd said:

In the a4 chassie, isn't the auto just a outsourced aisian tranny? seems like i read that on teh board somewhere. I may be remembering wrong.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
JoeBleed said:
In the a4 chassie, isn't the auto just a outsourced aisian tranny? seems like i read that on teh board somewhere. I may be remembering wrong.
The 6 speed transverse FWD autobox (as found with the A5 2.5L gas Jetta) is an Aisin, and the 6 speed autobox used in the T'reg and clones is an Aisin.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
4 hours? wow. I just did my glowplug harness, my gp's and my passenger side low beam in about 45 minutes. It should only take about 5 minutes to remove , change bulb, and replace. I even have to remove the fuel filter to get my hands in there ( I just disconnect the mount and let it hang while I am working over there). The driver side you just have to pop the top of the battery cover off.

Before anyone says I must have small hands, I am 5'8 and 190 lbs. I wear medium to large gloves, so they are normal hands. If you want to complain about no space to work, remove the two torx bolts to the left and right of the hood between the hood and the lights. They must have used an anorexic midget to get those in there.