Battery replacement - Is venting necessary?

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
2013 Golf TDI

Battery completely dead on a Sunday. Need it for work, cant wait until Monday to get an oem dealer battery.

Went to wally world and bought a EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size H6. Borrowed neighbors socket and after much fumbling around I got it plopped in.

New battery had a plastic pouch taped to the side of it with a couple plastic pieces for venting.

Unless I missed it I didnt see anything attached to original OEM battery when removing.

My automotive skills are nonexistent. Am I supposed to do something to vent the new battery?

On a side note, the battery gave no indication of failing. Driving around yesterday no issues. Today dead as a doorknob. Car 3yrs and 5 months old, 34k miles. Do they normally go dead with no prior indications?

Thanks for the help!

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
Some batteries are mounted inside the car.. like under the back seat of my buick.. these batteries MUST be vented through the little tube, to the outside of the car.

I believe the Toureg also has a battery under the drivers seat, however its a Sealed battery and has NO vent,,, if I understand it correctly from what I have been told.

If yours is under the hood, no problem.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
On a side note, the battery gave no indication of failing. Driving around yesterday no issues. Today dead as a doorknob. Car 3yrs and 5 months old, 34k miles. Do they normally go dead with no prior indications?

Thanks for the help!
It has been my experience, and the experience of others on this forum, that modern batteries do act this way. Works fine one day, then will not start the car the next.

I think part of the issue is that modern cars have a constant electrical draw, even when the car is locked and the modules are "sleeping". The module or modules need to be have awake to listen for that key click to unlock or to monitor the car for break-ins. And if there is an electrical problem (broken wire, module with a short), there is more of an electrical drain without any indication.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
3 1/2 yrs is premature failure which can happen ,but isn't the norm. My 09 JSW TDI battery is original and fine. I will probably change it this yr just to be safe.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Went to wally world and bought a EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive
Battery, Group Size H6. Borrowed neighbors socket and after much
fumbling around I got it plopped in.
Did you get the 615CCA (2 Yr warranty) or 725CCA (5 Yr warranty). CCA=
Cold Crank Amps. I have had two WalMart batteries, great value and
work great. The first was the H6 Size 615CCA, got it because that is all
they had stock, however the 725CCA with longer warranty is far better.
Difference in price $107 vs $117 makes the 725CCA version a winner.
SAVE YOUR RECEIPT... and photo copy it. The thermal printer paper
receipts self erase after a few years, especially if you leave in car.

I am happy with Everstart batteries, except in my research some people
complained store gave them a hard time about warranty return. Non issue,
if you remember your receipt and this tip. Call the "Everstart Battery Hotline"
at 1-888-387-8278, while at the store. They will be instructed to get the
be instructed how to get it done.
New battery had a plastic pouch taped to the side of it with a couple plastic
pieces for venting. Unless I missed it I didnt see anything attached to
original OEM battery when removing. My automotive skills are nonexistent.
Am I supposed to do something to vent the new battery?
You are good, these "sealed" batteries (vented but has a cap/cover that
recycles the gas off when it charges. Gas by the way is hydrogen.. aka
Hindenburg.
On a side note, the battery gave no indication of failing. Driving around
yesterday no issues. Today dead as a doorknob. Car 3yrs and 5 months
old, 34k miles. Do they normally go dead with no prior indications? Thanks
for the help!
That is normal and par for the course. The failure mode is often sudden
death, normal. My OEM battery did that. My first H6 from Walmart got weaker;
it did not fail suddenly. I have a battery tester and the CCA capacity was going
down, and it seemed to lose too much volts after a few days of inactivity. Replaced
the 615 WalMart with the 725 WalMart Battery, excellent. I noticed the difference.
I left my parking lights on for 6 hours recently by accident in very cold weather. No
problem. Nothing like a strong battery, gives you reserve power.

Last edited:

VonShannon

TDI
2013 Golf TDI, 2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
Thanks for the help everyone! Started right up this morning and codes were cleared by the time I got to work.

I bought the 730CCA version with 5 yr warranty it was the only model in the size I needed they had in stock. As long as it lasts me until 2018 I'll be more than satisfied.

Thanks for the tip regarding receipt and warranty return, much appreciated.

Did you get the 615CCA (2 Yr warranty) or 725CCA (5 Yr warranty)......

I am happy with Everstart batteries, except in my research some people
complained store gave them a hard time about warranty return. Non issue,
if you remember your receipt and this tip. Call the "Everstart Battery Hotline"
at 1-888-387-8278, while at the store. They will be instructed to get the
be instructed how to get it done.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Thanks for the help everyone! Started right up this morning and codes were cleared by the time I got to work.

I bought the 730CCA version with 5 yr warranty it was the only model in the size I needed they had in stock. As long as it lasts me until 2018 I'll be more than satisfied.

Thanks for the tip regarding receipt and warranty return, much appreciated.
That battery will last 5 years.... the OEM Bosh battery is designed to self destruct at 3 years.

redstorm

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan, DSG
I found 3 1/2 years was about normal for the batteries in my 2010 Jetta. Most recent replacement was just out of the window for no-cost replacement, but still was less than half price after pro-rated. And, very little warning...maybe one or two sluggish starts.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
My battery only last about 2 years in harsh Central FL weather. I'm on the 3rd battery as the car is about to turn 7 this August. Last battery died on me in Aug. Just right on time.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I hate shopping at Walmart, but they are there when needed. I bought my battery there several years ago when it died suddenly while shuttling the daughter around about 10 pm the evening before leaving on a trip early the next morning. It died at the daughters friends apartment 2 blocks from a Walmart. Guess I was thankful it happened then and not the next night while out of town. Bought the best one they had on the chart for the TDI and its been good for 3 years so far. I remember it being about $120

Before the failure, the wife complained once of a slow start, but she has left dome lights on in the past so didn't think much of it when it seemed fine the next morn. that was just a day or two before the failure. So my OEM lasted 4.5 years. Sep '09 to May '14

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Battery manufacturing plants are not on every street corner, and stickers can be stuck to any battery case so brand names are not so relevant as you think.
Last time I looked there were very few manufactures selling to everyone.

Exide, a very old name in cheaper batteries. Tire store and used car lot favorites. Will get down the road just long enough...

Johnson controls, over half the batteries are made by them under some famous names as Interstate, Delco, Costco, Some Sears, etc. Pretty good overall, my only complaint about them is acid leakage around the posts and acid gassing under the hood eating battery cables and holddowns and cars in general, but not near as fast at that as Exide.

I use a brand marketed by a parts store chain with their name on it but is deep down a company called East Penn. They seemed to really grow about the time Delco quit manufacturing batteries so I surmise they must have bought their old factories. Good quality with NO leakage or excessive gassing which are my top concerns long range.

Ask someone who knows, who made the battery to be sure, but if it isn't East Penn or JC I really don't want anything to do with it.

ottomaddick

TDI
2006 Golf GL TDI BEW, 04 Touareg V10
I believe the Toureg also has a battery under the drivers seat, however its a Sealed battery and has NO vent,
The Toureg drivers seat battery, at least the OEM does use a vent as does the rear battery. DIY battery replacement and save about 500 bucks or more.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Another thing to keep in mind is that later model VW and BMW have to have the battery registered after replacement to reset battery management.

On those cars we have learned that the factory battery is the best choice regardless of price. Use the exact same part number to be sure. Sure the internet says you don't have to, and i always trust internet info.

We had a gentleman who needed a battery for his 7 series. He called up the dealer and got an exact replacement battery but didn't know to register it. We saw the car a year later and it had overvoltage codes. We replaced the defective alternator and registered it. Yes we had to register the alternator too. We also had to replace his one year old battery that was cooked.

We tried to get it warrantied from BMW for him since it was indeed a factory battery. BMW told us it was no problem to warranty as long as he had documentation showing that the battery had been registered at replacement.

Very expensive mistake, and he was not trying to cheap it out in the first place, he had bought the original factory battery.

On late model cars we will not use anything but dealer original batteries.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Ugh - No start Saturday night. 7yrs, not too shabby out of the OEM battery I guess. A quick trip to Wallyworld and the "Replacement Computer" sent me home with a 47N which is about 70% of the physical size of the OEM battery...

Once installed it was seated well enough but hardly satisfactory - seemed like the fender side lip didn't quite fit. I guess I'll go back tonight with the OEM one and compare what they have on the shelf in hopes of getting something closer.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Ugh - No start Saturday night. 7yrs, not too shabby out of the OEM battery I guess. A quick trip to Wallyworld and the "Replacement Computer" sent me home with a 47N which is about 70% of the physical size of the OEM battery...

Once installed it was seated well enough but hardly satisfactory - seemed like the fender side lip didn't quite fit. I guess I'll go back tonight with the OEM one and compare what they have on the shelf in hopes of getting something closer.
Stopped at Cambodian Tire on the way home and grabbed the the right size with 850 CCA for $17 less... Took it back to Walmart, no questions asked.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
I replaced my OEM battery this past fall. 6 years isn't too bad. I replaced it before it failed. The thing still holds a charge like new.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I replaced my OEM battery this past fall. 6 years isn't too bad. I replaced it before it failed. The thing still holds a charge like new.
6 years last week for me. Some hard starts the last few days. Pick up my new OEM Replacement Bosch H6 Battery tonight.

Selling the car back before the Sept 2018 deadline.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Johnson Control H6 batteries always served me well, I put the Autozone Duramightlast battery in my MK6 Golf without any issues. The Walmart Neverstart also starts the MK5 Jetta without an issue.

Bonus style points for the Duramightlast batteries performing better than Optimas in the '97 Ram. Left the headlights on all day at work and it still started. Also had a -5f(-20c) degree cold start with 23 degrees of static timing, it took over 2 minutes of constant cranking to fire. Even afterward the abuse they can still hold their charge for over a month, the optimas would drain after a little over a week.

skyblaster

TDI
2013 GSW Highline
Replaced my March 2013 OEM battery with a newer (but used) Interstate MTP-48/H6 from Craigslist out of a total loss vehicle for $70CAD.

The old battery had a vent plug in one end, as did the Interstate, however the Interstate also had a 90 degree elbow inserted into the other vent hole. I removed the elbow to make room for the insulating jacket and then plugged the hole with the plug from the OEM battery.....which is hindsight is most likely a mistake.

So, which vent plug should I remove, the one on the positive side closer to the front of the car, where there seems to be more battery tray to catch any spillover, or the negative side? Thanks!

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
LOL my 2010 OEM battery failed a start tonight, a few weeks short of 10 years in service. Probably drained from not driving the car for two days. Maybe if I park on hills I can make it to 10 years.

skyblaster

TDI
2013 GSW Highline
So, which vent plug should I remove, the one on the positive side closer to the front of the car, where there seems to be more battery tray to catch any spillover, or the negative side? Thanks!
After seeing several examples in pictures online (the best advice, I know ;-), I removed the plug from the negative side, which I had added earlier. After just one 26km run after installation, there was quite a bit of pressure that had built up inside!