Tdi in Vanagon

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
Hi Guys
Im looking for an oil pick up and windage tray for my Alh engine using the 1.6 diesel vanagon oil pan . I adapted one years back with not too much success.
Thanks
Noel

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hi Guys
Im looking for an oil pick up and windage tray for my Alh engine using the 1.6 diesel vanagon oil pan . I adapted one years back with not too much success.
Thanks
Noel
Noel, I have a custom made oil pan on my ALH in the 84 Vanagon. The engine is bolted to a "diesel" bell housing, thus, it lays over on 50 degrees which is likely similar to yours.

So, when doing the project, I had my welder to cut, rotate and weld the uptake pipe on the oil pump so the bottom of the pick-up would be parallel with the bottom of the pan. My first custom oil pan was crafted with thin aluminum using the OE pan as a base. Without all the details, it was a disaster. I then had one made of slightly heavy stainless steel.

No baffles in either pan...... no issues over the last 83k miles.

In the link below, scroll down to post #1015 to see narrative and pics on the custom SS Oil Pan.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=68

NoelMcC

TDI
2005 Tdi Wagon; 81 Vanagon Subaru conversion.
Thanks Andy
Your info is fantastic on this thread. I appreciate your knowledge and get up and go.
Great journal of your build.